SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ahhh the SPAS12 80s action star in its own right
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ahhh the SPAS12 80s action star in its own right Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have been watching a few cheesy 80s flicks and boy the SPAS is in every one. Almost like the Desert Eagle Of the 90s.

I have shot the Desert Eagle but never a SPAS.

Always amazes me what guns become “action stars”.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see one, or hear mention of one, I automatically think of the "Miami Vice" episode Calderon's Return, where Jim Zubiena plays a hitman. His character uses an SPAS to take out people in a car, and then he draws a 1911 on a security guard that confronts him, and triple taps the target. Great scene.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep I also loved watching them in action. in 1993’s Jurassic Park, “Clever girl”...but he didn’t get to really use it. Sucky part was Sam Neil’s character dropping the spas on the floor because of a failure to eject.

Posts: 1753 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had one and in pump mode was the only reliable way to get it to eject.

It was chambered in 2 3/4", but NEEDED 3" rounds to cycle the action.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I was introduced to the SPAS by the Terminator, but my favorite film featuring it has to be The Hitcher (1986) when Rutger Hauer wields it at the end as the titular character.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
My FIL bought a Desert Eagle. Just because. Big Grin

Looking forward to shooting it.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Most difficult shotgun to operate I’ve ever shot. The one I fired back around 1990 was barely operable the action was so stiff. I was however, a wee 20 year old.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SPAS 12 was undeniably cool looking, which is why it was popular in movies and TV. However, for many who actually owned one, it was a pretty bad shotgun. Heavy, bulky, safety lever issues, reliability issues, etc. it was the Yugo semi-pump to Benelli’s Ferrari M3.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I wanted one while in my 30's. My bro-in-law bought one and let me try it. Cured me of the desire. I bought an M1 Super 90 instead. Still have that gun. It has been great.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have one, it's a real pain in the rear to operate, but it looks cool. I need to order new nylon and rubber for it to get it back in working order. In a display of poor judgement I also own a LAW-12, need to come across a SAS-12 at the right price to complete the trio.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Iconic but shit.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
awesome thing, had one.

Bought it on the cheaper side of expensive, Cleaned it, shot 8 rounds threw it, and traded it for a hard to find thing in MA. (HK Carbine), Cuz dude who did the trade was all about the, "Ill be back-a-tude".

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Of course I saw people wielding them in movies, but damn, in person it's just ridiculously huge for what it is, and the stock, and bleah. What a turd.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've had two of the SPAS and Desert Eagle ... Bot of them I first bought because of the cool factor ... The second ones I bought because I forgot why I sold the first ones Roll Eyes

All 4 times I sold them to people that were buying them for the cool factor!

I also bought an HK Match after I saw Angelina Jolie with a pair of them in Tome Raiders held on to it for a couple years and sold it to someone that had been "searching everywhere" for one.

Sometimes I'm an opertunist ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Whenever I see one, or hear mention of one, I automatically think of the "Miami Vice" episode Calderon's Return, where Jim Zubiena plays a hitman. His character uses an SPAS to take out people in a car, and then he draws a 1911 on a security guard that confronts him, and triple taps the target. Great scene.

Second only to Collateral's "Yo Homie!"...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Iconic but shit.
What a turd.

Now arc, I recommend expressing your true feelings every now and then. Don't hold back. Speak from your heart. Let it out when you really like or dislike something. Wink

Nevertheless, the shotgun does vaguely remind me of a cowpie I saw in the pasture yesterday.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while. Never had a problem, pump or auto (just a range toy). But yeah, BIG, HEAVY thing.
I sold the 3 nib chokes that came with it for more than the gun.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
A local pawn shop has one for $1300. It's rough, it's missing the muzzle device, it has the lever safety.

I'll swing back around in March, probably, to see if it's been there a full year. The guy will probably try and tell me again how they're going for $1800 on Gunbroker. Roll Eyes

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post