SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shot this, packed up and called it a day...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot this, packed up and called it a day... Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I built this rifle for a good friend of mine and finished it around New Year's Day. We tested it, but I hardly shot it myself and I let him do most of the shooting.

He wanted me to look at it as it required a lot of elevation to bring the POI to center. He was right. I must have bedded in a lot of draw pressure on this rifle as it required 20 clicks from the bottom to get his POI in the X-ring with a 6 o'clock hold.

I checked the sights to make sure they weren't drifting, and they weren't. I got on paper at 50 and moved it out to 100 and threw in some 175 grain FGMM. The 5-shot group measured 0.830" with iron sights! I may have done that only one other time in my life!

Rifle works great! I'll file the front sight down to gain the elevation back on the rear sight and call it good. I ain't messing with anything else on this rifle.

This is a Bula Rear-lugged M14 with a Kreiger medium weight 1:10 twist stainless barrel. The lug has a torque screw.

This is the same friend I'm building a double lug M14 for.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
yep, at that point just buy a lottery ticket and go home. Wink

Nice rifle.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, similar to your buddy betting you can't hit the steel target at XYZ distance with your pistol, or rifle in some odd position, then after the first shot you hear "DING!".

Time to call it a day for sure!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Iron sights?!?! Yeah, I'd be done for the day too...you can only go downhill from there! Nice shooting!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Took me a bit to learn the combination of the screw and sleeve. You can see the lines in the top of the stock from tension. Benny, is the torque screw a original idea of yours? Ive never seen that before now. Man Bula, the day I win the lotto. BTW, bedding job is beautiful sir.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Took me a bit to learn the combination of the screw and sleeve. You can see the lines in the top of the stock from tension. Benny, is the torque screw a original idea of yours? Ive never seen that before now. Man Bula, the day I win the lotto. BTW, bedding job is beautiful sir.

Thanks DL! The screw is not my idea. Match armorers did it back in the M14's heyday. It's a dying art and I had to learn it at some point. Bula, LRB and Fulton sell rear lugged receivers with threaded lugs for torque screws.

The builder sometimes makes the rear pillar, but LRB actually sends one with their rear lugged receivers. I actually copied the one I have from my own LRB for this build.

The lines you see on the top of the stock are actually from the razor I used to mark where the receiver would go so I could route the stock properly and not overshoot the footprint of the receiver. I actually had to use a different Bula action with no rear-lug to get an accurate trace so I could inlet the stock for the rear lug.

The way I try to do the bedding almost makes the bedding invisible.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Phenominal! What barrel is on that one?

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
His 1st post Pete, Kreiger.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. Shut my mouth.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I love the McMillan molded camo stocks.

I wish I had the knowledge to get into M14s.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I love the McMillan molded camo stocks.

I wish I had the knowledge to get into M14s.

What do you want to know?

Tony.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin' Tony.

Good build too.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, did that once with a Swedish Mauser at 100 yds. Of course my group was a foot high. Patted myself on the back, saved my target and headed home.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. Outstanding display of patience & stability! I’d be done too Smile

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post