SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt 9mm AR VS newer 9mm carbine options.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 9mm AR VS newer 9mm carbine options. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've been watching this thread with some degree of interest. I also like the idea of a 9mm carbine, for reasons similar to those of the OP, as well as the fact that my club only has one bay that I can shoot center-fire rifle on, but a PCC opens up several more options.

I had a PSA 9mm AR, and it was not a good experience. I had all kinds of problems, including doubling and out-of battery discharges. It liked one kind of ammo, and that kind only. I tried all kinds of different springs and buffers, to no avail. The final straw was when it OOBed on one of my co-workers during a range day. Thankfully he was unhurt, but I ended up trading it off with full disclosure, at a huge loss.

I also had a Ruger PC carbine. I didn't like the fact that it took screws to disassemble for cleaning, and the chintzy takedown lock ring was not confidence inspiring. The recoil was also pretty stout for what it was...the butt-pad would actually bruise your shoulder. It was reliable, though, and never blew up cases in my face. I'd probably still have that one, except I decided I didn't need 2 9mm carbines and traded it off during a period when I thought the AR9 was fixed. Then 2 weeks later I had another OOB discharge with the AR9.

After those two experiences, I've sworn off blowback carbines. I'm tentatively saving for an MPX right now, but I'd take a PTR 9CT if one came along at the right price at the right time.

A buddy got one of those 9mm AK pistols (not the PSA one...the one from Atlantic Firearms). It's blowback, but he swears it's reliable and incredibly soft-shooting. I'm still needing to find a time to go shoot it with him. It's going to have to be something really special to get me to drop cash on another blowback gun.

I've also thought about building another AR with the CMMG Radially-delayed blowback system. I was looking at those the other night when I came across something about MEAN Arms developing a roller-delayed blowback AR upper...now I'm thinking I need to wait and see where they go with that.

Posts: 8421 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-ban Colt, AR, 9mm and a Ruger PCC in the standard configuration. I think the Ruger is more fun to shoot.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Where are you going to find a Colt 9mm carbine nowadays? It’s the gunpocalypse. Good luck.

I have one. It’s not very reliable. Every other 9mm carbine I have has been 100% reliable. The Colt? Not so much.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably not the topic for this thread, but I have never seen a true factory unbuggered colt that is not gtg. Personally (I have quite a few) and my local guys used them for quite awhile without issue. What exactly is wrong with yours, it can easily be fixed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've used this BTE 9mm for some time now. It uses H&K MP5 mags and I find it very reliable. I've also got a B&T GHM9 Compact, which (although very well constructed) just doesn't feel as comfortable to me as the AR 9mm. I'm also in the process of getting a stamp for B&T's conversion to SBR status.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I've used this BTE 9mm for some time now. It uses H&K MP5 mags and I find it very reliable.

What bolt are you running? I was recently given a quarter circle lower that takes MP5 mags, but have yet to put an upper on it yet. QC10's bolt is $225, but I haven't see any others that claim compatibility with MP5 mags.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
I built my first 9mm AR back in 2010 and, apart from having to replace the bolt catch every couple thousand rounds or so (they get battered pretty hard), it's been very reliable.

I remember when you were building that rifle, still looks so damn sexy!

I think I am going to buy a CMMG bolt/barrel combo, use the Endomags and one of my SBR lower so I don't have to worry about paying for another tax stamp. I'm debating on 8" or the 4-5".

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just saying not a lot of room to hold onto things in the 4" ones.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
just saying not a lot of room to hold onto things in the 4" ones.

I put a much longer handguard on my 5" Banshee 9mm.

Big enough to shroud the suppressor that I plan to build once I get my Form 1.

But yes, a VFG or something similar is desirable on the super shorties.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Since everyone else is post theirs guess I will post mine.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a Colt pattern, but I'll play. Built this off a QC10 Glock lower a while back, they make Colt pattern lowers too. Other than it being extremely tight, I've had no problems out of it. I do like the B&T offerings, but I don't need another 9mm anytime soon. Had they been out when I ventured down this rabbit hole, probably would have picked one up instead.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My Glock lower PSA 9mm. In hindsight, I wish I had spent a little more for an upper in the 8-10@ range to give the cartridge a little more umph, but the price at the time was well under $100 at the time for this one. It’s been reliable and makes for a easy to travel with little guy. No complaint

image upload

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I really like the Colt AR style 9mm PCC's. Here's one I built up from parts.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that looks pretty darn tough to hold onto.

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Not really because being that short it balances at the mag well.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be my choice of setup for sure. but ok. sling mounts, light possibility, backup irons, some place for the hands etc. not really happening. BUT the great part of these PCC guns is you can do what you like.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I never really wanted an AR9 due to the Glock mags looking kinda funky on an AR.
Then I seen a PSA 8" upper for sale locally that came with 3 Pmags with Endomag inserts.
Did some research on them and picked it up, stopped and grabbed a lower and ordered a few parts.
Already had a bunch of spare parts and a half hour later.

The A5H4 buffer will be here in a couple of hours, I put an A5H2 buffer in it just to see how it cycled and if it would need a spacer.
The Vltor A5 buffer, rifle spring and carbine tube is a perfect fit for an AR9.

The PSA AR9 BCG worked out with the Law Tactical folder too.
Once the pin and slug were removed the adapter went right in and weighs .4 oz less than the slug.

The Magpul MS4 sling I have worked out as a single point on it better than a full size rifle and will use it on it instead of my weed eater now.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I've used this BTE 9mm for some time now. It uses H&K MP5 mags and I find it very reliable.

What bolt are you running? I was recently given a quarter circle lower that takes MP5 mags, but have yet to put an upper on it yet. QC10's bolt is $225, but I haven't see any others that claim compatibility with MP5 mags.

The bolt on my Battle Tested Equipment is made by BTE and their part number is: 9mm-BCG
They can be reached here: https://bte-usa.com/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Looks good, what size bbl/rail? I'm guessing three lug?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Looks good, what size bbl/rail? I'm guessing three lug?

8” barrel, 7.2” rail, and direct thread suppressor.
The three lug adapter for the TiRant is like $200 if you can even find them. I don’t swap it out often to justify the cost.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post