SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My H&K USC to UMP conversion is complete...finally
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My H&K USC to UMP conversion is complete...finally Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
I bought the USC 2 years ago (or was it 3?) Either way, I loved the rifle but wanted to do the UMP conversion but had to wait to save the funds.

I was able to buy all the parts late last summer and then dropped it off at the gunsmith in Oct, 2016.

Fast forward to yesterday and I was able to pick it up. I will be heading to the range in about 2 hours and will get to shoot it for the first time in a long time. I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out and can't wait to get to the range.

USC before with a crappy Pro Mag: (I sold them on Gunbroker for $1 each Eek Big Grin Smile )

UMP conversion done:

I will leave it as is with the exception of putting a sling on it. If I were ever to buy a 2nd one then I'd consider doing that one as an SBR.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

That thing is pleading with you to be SBR'd though.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnronin
posted Hide Post
That's not done yet! It still has a 16 inch barrel and no vent cuts!

These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Posts: 648 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnronin:
That's not done yet! It still has a 16 inch barrel and no vent cuts!

Ha ha! I've already spent a lot of money on it and I'm more of a old school/traditional kind of guy and I like guns as they were released. I know the UMP came with vent cuts, but I'll leave this one as is, for now at least.

quote:
Originally posted by Andyb: Congrats!

That thing is pleading with you to be SBR'd though.

Thank you. Perhaps in a few years if I get the funds and find a 2nd one.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks really good!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who did the work on this one?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking UMP. I'm in the process of doing my own conversion. I'm waiting on 2 small 922r parts and I'll complete the conversion soon after.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
They did a nice job. Congrats. I know you have to be happy with that.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Who did the work on this one?

A gunsmith that is local to me.

posted Hide Post
Looks great. How's the reliability?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Looks great. How's the reliability?

Flawless shooting 100 rounds over the weekend. It was the fastest I've ever fired 100 rounds Wink

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Ive only seen a UMP once at a "local heroes" night put on by the local Chick Fil A. A local PD had their SWAT team there, showing off guns and gear, and they had 2 UMPs to show off. It was a lot lighter than i thought it would be. They were also sbrs woth 3 round burst selectors. But ive definitely always liked the look of the UMP. Comgrats on the nice build for sure!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Ive only seen a UMP once at a "local heroes" night put on by the local Chick Fil A. A local PD had their SWAT team there, showing off guns and gear, and they had 2 UMPs to show off. It was a lot lighter than i thought it would be. They were also sbrs woth 3 round burst selectors. But ive definitely always liked the look of the UMP. Comgrats on the nice build for sure!

Thank you! While it's not an original UMP, it's pretty close and is a very fine rifle.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Cool gun! How many rounds in the Magazine? Double stacked? It's huge!

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance but what all do you gain from the conversion? All of can really tell is the folding stock. It sounds like a costly venture.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Cool gun! How many rounds in the Magazine? Double stacked? It's huge!

It is a double stacked mag that holds 25 rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX: Forgive my ignorance but what all do you gain from the conversion? All of can really tell is the folding stock. It sounds like a costly venture.

The folding stock and you go from a 10 round mag to a 25 rounder. Also, it looks much cooler not having the crappy thumb hole stock on it in my opinion. Total cost for the extra parts was about $500.

As far as costs go, the value has actually increased on the rifle by having it converted as they are not made anymore and are getting hard to come by. I have no intention of ever getting rid of mine unless it is to give it to my son when he is older.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
You would be amazed how much weight that thing loses when converted to an SBR. I couldn't believe how heavy the stock barrel was when I did mine.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post