SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Painting/Recoloring AR-15 Furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting/Recoloring AR-15 Furniture Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
A friend of mine has found the right AR-15 at the right price, but isn’t terribly happy with the camouflage stock and forearm. The rifle doesn’t come in black.

Are there any products that can be used to paint over the plastic factory items that won’t end up either looking terrible or getting gummy or sticky in hot weather?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Could have it cerakoted, but for the money just replace the furniture. Plastic stuff is cheap and sell of the stuff that came on it.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have successfully painted a number of AR stocks and forearms. Someone gave me a brand new Magpul set out of the box in some funky color a while back. I took it all apart, cleaned it and masked (so that the heat shield would not be painted). I painted the top handguard section one texture and the bottom a more satin appearance. This is a rifle handguard on a dissy build.

This was using some of the higher quality rattle-can blacks in finishes made for plastic surfaces. The paint adhered well to Magpul polymers. I wouldn't try it on a MOE+ pistol grip (the one with a soft, tacky grip) but no problem on a regular MOE grip.

Duracoat has exact match colors for the Magpul furniture colors and there's plenty of other companies with good products. I've even used airbrushes on a few. Some folks with better budgets have used AlumaHyde II on carbon fiber surfaces with success. You can even get Duracote in a can.

So far it's been two years and many shoots and all of those sprayed finishes still look good. I didn't have a big budget on those rifles so this worked great.

If you have moving parts (like a cheek plate or similar) I might hesitate about painting it but give it a try!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as the surface isn’t painted or a film (IIRC) you can use RIT dye to make it black. I’ve turned FDE parts into other colors this way.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he can dye it black...or maybe a grey dye would make the camo pattern a cool dark night-camo effect. I have successfully used RIT dye on a bunch of Magpul parts and on an MFT minimalist stock. I tried it on a Skockwave pistol brace and it was an epic fail, the brace didn't take any dye color at all...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with camouflage. Must be an M&P .22lr.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the others have said/done, Ritt makes a good dye and does wonders. I have used it with great success but make sure you don't add too much water and dilute it too much. After soaking the parts,rinse them well multiple times to make sure you get the residual dye off or you will have one heck of a story to tell when you go shooting and have blotches on your skin.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde works very well. I have painted a number of handgun grips and AR grips with it, and it is a very durable finish.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I have used rit dye on sand pmags with good results. You can get sand magpul sl furniture and make it whatever color you want.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post