SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    It’s 1981 again! Mini 14 stuff...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s 1981 again! Mini 14 stuff... Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Early 580-series Ruger Mini-14's were supplied with 0.562" diameter pencil barrels. Reportedly, as many as ~50,000 units may have been produced before changing over to the current 0.625" tapered barrel. Here is a photo of my (soon to be) 2005 580-series GB with the thin barrel.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why do the Mini 14's have a reputation for being inaccurate? Every Mini 14 thread I see this mentioned?

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Older Minis tends to average ~3-5 MOA

For all my early years of shooting, I kept hearing people say "the gun is more accurate than I am." I took the saying to heart and realized I was the limiting factor in the accuracy equation.

Then I shot some Mini-14 rifles and soon realized I was no longer the weak link. I pull barrels on my ARs when they can no longer hold 1 MOA at distance.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is, USGI M1 Garands average ~3-5 MOA as well, yet they're not maligned all over the interwebs as being horribly inaccurate.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The funny thing is, USGI M1 Garands average ~3-5 MOA as well, yet they're not maligned all over the interwebs as being horribly inaccurate.

An excellent point RogueJSK! For all of the reasons I own a Mini-14, M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, M1A & etc., as long as I can consistently place five shots on paper at 100 yards with iron sights I am satisfied. And while I harbor no particular prejudice towards the modern platform (I've owned several over the years), I'm one of those oddballs who prefers the Mini-14 over the AR-15 - in spite of the Mini's reputation of inconsistent accuracy.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Agreed, to an extent.

For serious use, I grab an AR.

But for fun plinking at the range, it's tough to beat a Mini-14 or the other members of its extended family (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14/M1A, etc.).

I prefer the feel of the Mini's traditional rifle layout to the AR's layout, but recognize that the AR is the superior platform in nearly every respect.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My trio...all three are GB models. The middle one came in a wood stock that was pretty worn due to police duty.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on the tech sight, and Im pretty sure there might be an accu strut in my future as well, but so far.... I know it might not (definitely is not) as accurate or maybe as “user friendly “ as an AR.

But I can definitely see this as being just a ton more fun at the range. I just get the feeling that this little guy will be coming out almost every time.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Plinking with a Mini-14 is funner than you think! Smile

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post