SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Steyr AUG A3 M1, have questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Steyr AUG A3 M1, have questions Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
Based on the wisdom of the SIG Forum, I have bought of my "Grail guns", a Steyr (pronounced STEIER) AUG. I went with the NATO configuration in "Mud". This way I should be able to use my existing AR magazines.
Please help me with the following questions:

Rail
I bought it with the "long" rail which is not the same as the "Extended" rail. Steyr offers that as an option for $145, but I've seen some aftermarket but could use a recommendation.

Iron Sites
I already have a Holosun site to match the one on my CZ Scorpion, but want back up iron sites just in case my optic takes a dump. Has anyone mounted the "45° offset sites on a Steyr? Do you have any recomendations?

Thanks and I'll post pictures when I receive my rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a set of H&K 416 sights I had sitting around because they were low enough to give me a good field of view with the optic I was using (Aimpoint Comp M4). RTG parts is now selling put-together 416 sights for $100 that are just about indistinguishable from the real ones.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a grail gun, Rolan!

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new AUG Rolan. I think you'll enjoy it. If I get another one, it would likely be the mud colored NATO version as well. Then I'll probably go with the short rail and either an Aero Precision or JP mount with a NF 1-4 optic. With the rail reversed, it should almost resemble the original from the 80's. Also, with the introduction 40th Anneversary Stg77, they may release the no rail optic for AUG owners. That would be pretty nice.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
OK, I've got it "in hand" now. I have ordered a longer rail and the brake down latch. I plan on ordering a new folding charging handle.

Here is the rifle with Magpul BUIS sites: Photo Jul 28, 5 19 48 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Like I said, that's exactly the one I'd have picked myself.

Throw an Aero precision offset mount (facing rearward), add a NF 1-4x and don't worry about iron sights. I really doubt it would ever fail.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
add a NF 1-4x and don't worry about iron sights. I really doubt it would ever fail.

This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
All I am picturing is you cleaning up on every rifle stage the SASS shoots with this thing. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...rIUR3s&feature=share

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
All I am picturing is you cleaning up on every rifle stage the SASS shoots with this thing. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...rIUR3s&feature=share

That is a great video!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer