SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BDC scope for subsonic .22 rifle? **Bought a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BDC scope for subsonic .22 rifle? **Bought a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire Login/Join 
posted
What are the thoughts on a bullet drop scope for a subsonic .22 bolt rifle? I would like to get the main cross hairs dialed in for maybe 15 yards and use the BDC dots for slightly longer yardages. I really dont have any need to shoot past 50 yards.

Would the BDC even be useful at these short ranges? I will be using CCI quite 22 ammo. Im not good with ballistic calculations and even wonder how far the BDC dots would be with the main cross hairs set at 15yrds.

I was looking Vortex Copperhead 4x12 scope.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience I've only ever seen scopes with BDC reticle for standard velocity .22 ammo (~1040-1080 FPS). The quiet is something like 750 FPS isn't it? I would think that'd be way off even out to just 50 yds.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My answer to your question is that I doubt it, but I don’t know for certain. May I, though,
make a suggestion?

Some years ago I purchased a Leupold extended focus range 6.5-20× scope to put on a training rifle. I wanted to use it at close distances (12.5 yards) as well as longer ranges. The sight was available only with a duplex reticle, but I was able to have it converted to Leupold’s

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=cWHvmSew4fdZvM:

Tactical Milling Reticle

From there it was just a matter of firing groups at the different distances where I put my training targets, noting where they hit with respect to the reticle, and used those settings as my hold-offs. For example, with a 25 yard zero, if the group was 1 mil low at 15 yards, I would use the reticle mark at 1 mil below the center for aiming at 15 yards.

The principle is the same as when using a dedicated bullet drop compensating reticle, but it’s far more precise and flexible. If you change your ammunition or your primary zero, it’s just a matter of shooting new groups and making a new ballistics table.

On the other hand, I don’t know if a scope that would otherwise fit your needs would be available with a reticle like that. With the one you mention, though, you could do something similar: Shoot groups with the different calibration marks, see what ranges they correspond to, and estimate from there to produce your own ballistics/trajectory table.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My answer to your question is that I doubt it, but I don’t know for certain. May I, though,
make a suggestion?

Some years ago I purchased a Leupold extended focus range 6.5-20× scope to put on a training rifle. I wanted to use it at close distances (12.5 yards) as well as longer ranges. The sight was available only with a duplex reticle, but I was able to have it converted to Leupold’s

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=cWHvmSew4fdZvM:

Tactical Milling Reticle

From there it was just a matter of firing groups at the different distances where I put my training targets, noting where they hit with respect to the reticle, and used those settings as my hold-offs. For example, with a 25 yard zero, if the group was 1 mil low at 15 yards, I would use the reticle mark at 1 mil below the center for aiming at 15 yards.

The principle is the same as when using a dedicated bullet drop compensating reticle, but it’s far more precise and flexible. If you change or your primary zero, it’s just a matter of shooting new groups and making a new ballistics table.

On the other hand, I don’t know if a scope that would otherwise fit your needs would be available with a reticle like that. With the one you mention, though, you could do something similar: Shoot groups with the different calibration marks, see what ranges they correspond to, and estimate from there to produce your own ballistics/trajectory table.

You understand my intentions. I do like that milling reticle you linked. Im basically looking for a scope where I have an actual mark for certain yardages. Im not too keen on estimating a 3 inch hold over.

I will definitly looking into this type of reticle.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Didn’t proofread my prior post very well. I meant to say if you change your ammunition, not if you change. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did some quick searching and didnt find any scopes with a milling reticle in my price range. Definitely need to keep the price under $250

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I just did some quick searching and didnt find any scopes with a milling reticle in my price range. Definitely need to keep the price under $250

You probably won't find a quality Mil or MOA reticle in this price range.

The Vortex Copperhead has a fixed parallax of 100 yards. Accurate impacts at 15 yards could be a problem, although with only 4 power optics, it may be OK.

I ran JBM numbers for 710 fps MV, 1.8" scope over bore offset, CCI 40 grain standard bullet, 15 yard zero, and 3,000' Density Altitude. This could be close.
- Point of impact is within 1/4" of point of aim from 12 through 36 yards.
- The Copperhead's first 1.5 MOA subtention should be a good holdover for 40 yards.
- The scope's second subtention at 4.5 MOA should be a good holdover for 52 yards.
- The scope's third subtention at 7.5 MOA should be a good holdover for 62 yards.
- The 11 MOA mark at the bottom of the scope should work for 72 yards.

I think the Burris Timberline 4-14x is a better option for you. It has zoom, and adjustable parallax down to 7 yards. Sales sometimes put the scope just over $200. The downside to a zoom scope in second focal plane is that the reticle holdover values change with magnification changes.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Burris Droptine has their G2B mil reticle.

Both my CZs wear Burris optics - a Droptine and Tiberline. Very good options for the price and as fritz mentions, good paralax adjustment (although the Droptine only goes to 50 yards, Timberline to 7).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

You probably won't find a quality Mil or MOA reticle in this price range.

The Vortex Copperhead has a fixed parallax of 100 yards. Accurate impacts at 15 yards could be a problem, although with only 4 power optics, it may be OK.

I ran JBM numbers for 710 fps MV, 1.8" scope over bore offset, CCI 40 grain standard bullet, 15 yard zero, and 3,000' Density Altitude. This could be close.
- Point of impact is within 1/4" of point of aim from 12 through 36 yards.
- The Copperhead's first 1.5 MOA subtention should be a good holdover for 40 yards.
- The scope's second subtention at 4.5 MOA should be a good holdover for 52 yards.
- The scope's third subtention at 7.5 MOA should be a good holdover for 62 yards.
- The 11 MOA mark at the bottom of the scope should work for 72 yards.

I think the Burris Timberline 4-14x is a better option for you. It has zoom, and adjustable parallax down to 7 yards. Sales sometimes put the scope just over $200. The downside to a zoom scope in second focal plane is that the reticle holdover values change with magnification changes.

You the man! This pretty close to where I would like to be with the BDC

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
The Mueller Adjustable Objective 4.5 X 14 X 40 APT has a minimum parallax setting of 10 yards.

I don't own a Mueller APT but I have a Mueller APV on a .22 LR rifle.
For the price, it is a good deal.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the Nikon Rimfire series?
I have the Nikon Rimfire with BDC reticle 4-12 they also have a 3-9.
It uses Nikon's SpotOn ballistic app. There are numerous subsonic loads preprogrammed into the app or you can add your own.
You set your zero distance, target distance, adjust the magnification slide in the app and it gives you specific yardage marks for the reticle. No need for any calculations need to be done by you.
Unless I am misreading your post this is exactly what you are looking for.

CCI quiet is already in the app.
I will send you an email of what the reticle looks like in the app as Inhave not switched from Photobucket yet.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a Nikon Prostaff II rimfire 3x9 for $107 shipped from Dicks. Thanks for the help.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I think you will be very happy with it.
I have the Nikon 4-12 Rimfire on my Savage .22 and I have the Nikon Prostaff 4-12 on my Sig SHR 970 and have yet to miss a deer with it yet.
For the price Nikon makes a very good scope. I am looking forward to getting a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun and mount one of their new black models on it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just ordered a Nikon Prostaff II rimfire 3x9 for $107 shipped from Dicks. Thanks for the help.

Same one I have on my Mossberg 46B. For the money, it is a great scope!

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nikon's PROSTAFF Rimfire II BDC would definitely do the trick for you and under $140 bucks pretty tought o beat for all you get. Using Nikon's Spot On Program to dial in your subsonic loads is easy to do and accurate. I ran some numbers for you to check out, I have used this program to link steel crows at 200 yards.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post