SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Considering red dot for M1A Scout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering red dot for M1A Scout Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
I want a wide field reflex sight, like the look of the Vortex Razor. Anyone experienced with these on a .308? Any other recommendations? I have a mix of Vortex, Aimpoint, Primary Arms red dots in my collection and haven't had an issue with any of them so open to suggestions. Thanks

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
For .308 that's a tiny little RDS, and kind of of a waste on both fronts. If I was going to be using a RDS of any kind on a .308 I would be looking at a Spitfire or a Strikefire II or a PRO for sure. Personally I be looking at a variable 1-4x or 1-6x...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the response but I'm not looking for magnification for this rifle. Being the scout model its got a forward mounted rail and a shorter barrel - I most likely will never shoot it further than 200 yards. I've test fit my tube designed red dots on it and with how far forward they sit I don't care for the overall sight picture. I think the wider view offered by most reflex sights would accomplish what I'm after but I don't know if they can take the abuse and hold zero

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I answered my own question - apparently Springfield offers a variant of the SOCOM which includes the Vortex Venom red dot.

Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold Delta Point on a SOCOM II, like it a lot.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic! I ordered the Vortex last night

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:

What kind of cheek/stock pad do you have on the middle rifle pictured?

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Bringing this thread back I did mount a vortex venom to my scout using the included mount and the stock rail piece on the scout. It was quite a bit higher than the irons so I picked up a cheek riser from amazon, think brand was voodoo, but not positive. Its an ok riser, I'm going to makeshift my own, but this is currently getting the job done.

Made it to the range this afternoon and I am impressed. First shot at 25 yards was about 8" to the left of the bull, made adjustments and was balls on after 4 shots. Moved to steel plates at 100 yards and couldn't miss. Wish I would have done this earlier!

Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Sorry for late response but I just saw your question. There was a guy in WV that made these by hand, I can't remember his name but he retired years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Mjolnir23:
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:

What kind of cheek/stock pad do you have on the middle rifle pictured?

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just got my Burris back from repair/replacement. I threw it on my M14.CA scout handguard. I haven't tested it yet, but I like how it sits. It's just a bit too high to do-witness with the iron sighs but not high enough to rob you of a decent and natural cheek weld.

The top of the white line at the back of the Fastfire just about lined up with the front sight. A throw lever would allow a quick switch from RDS to irons.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post