SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope recommendations for Ruger Precision Rimfire 17hmr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations for Ruger Precision Rimfire 17hmr Login/Join 
posted
Let me start by saying I'm a pistol guy with very little knowledge on rifles. That being said, I've been looking for something new and since I'm all out of pistols that are catching my attention I decided maybe start buying some rifles. I've always been intrigued by the precision rifles in larger calibers, but figured to start with a smaller caliber and maybe if it gets my interest I'll go into larger calibers.

So my question is, what kind of optic would you guys recommend for a ruger precision chambered in 17hmr for learning to shoot at decent distances?

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex Crossfire II 4X12X40mm.
Good bang for the buck and easily able to take advantage of the 17s ballistics. And it can mount on a larger caliber rifle later.
My go to scope vendor is SportOptics.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's decent in terms of what range? Me I'd never start with 17hmr per your background notes. But in any case I'd be in the 3-9 or 4-12 as a good all around solution. But if long is all what you want then I'd go 4.5-14.
Of course good glass will dwarf the cost of the rifle. in terms of actual products I can say the Leupold 3-9 rimfire (I've several of them) has served me well and the Vx-3i 4.5-14 has been satisfactory as well and might be your best choice if you are trying to go really long with this cartridge.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 works on my CZ455 17HMR

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
What's decent in terms of what range? Me I'd never start with 17hmr per your background notes. But in any case I'd be in the 3-9 or 4-12 as a good all around solution. But if long is all what you want then I'd go 4.5-14.
Of course good glass will dwarf the cost of the rifle. in terms of actual products I can say the Leupold 3-9 rimfire (I've several of them) has served me well and the Vx-3i 4.5-14 has been satisfactory as well and might be your best choice if you are trying to go really long with this cartridge.

100-150yards? I know this is not what most of you would consider decent distances, but I’d be stoked if I could hit a target across a football field distance to start with lol. I’ll grow up into bigger and better things if I can just start with the basics I’d be happy.

And thank you for replies everyone

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I've been looking for something new and since I'm all out of pistols that are catching my attention I decided maybe start buying some rifles.

This is an important statement. If you own a bunch of pistols, shoot them a bit here and there, then put them back in the safe to collect dust, I doubt rifles will be any different.

If this pattern continues with rifles, a 17hmr probably won't "catch your attention" for very long.

I view 17hmr as an OK caliber -- I much prefer 22lr, even though the ballistics are more challenging.

If you really want to learn to shoot rifles, and to own a rifle that is useful & accurate at many distances, then I recommend one in 223 Remington.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I've been looking for something new and since I'm all out of pistols that are catching my attention I decided maybe start buying some rifles.

This is an important statement. If you own a bunch of pistols, shoot them a bit here and there, then put them back in the safe to collect dust, I doubt rifles will be any different.

If this pattern continues with rifles, a 17hmr probably won't "catch your attention" for very long.

I view 17hmr as an OK caliber -- I much prefer 22lr, even though the ballistics are more challenging.

If you really want to learn to shoot rifles, and to own a rifle that is useful & accurate at many distances, then I recommend one in 223 Remington.

I agree with you and this description is definitely me which is why I don’t know if I want to go blow $2000 on a larger caliber rifle and another $2000 on an optic for it. I’m definitely more a collector than a shooter, although I like to go out shooting when I get the chance. I just want to toy with something new. I might never get into it, but for $600-700 for rifle and scope it’s worth a shot to try something new.

posted Hide Post
First, it isn't necessary to spend $4k for a 223 bolt action and a scope. It can be done for a whole lot less. It all depends on your goals and your demands for quality. The ultimate cost could be 1/2, or 1/3, or maybe even 1/4 of that.

If 223 isn't your cup of tea, then stick with 22lr. There are lots of options for decent rifles at decent prices, both bolt actions and semi autos. A 22lr rifle can be very accurate, especially in calm conditions with good ammo. 100 yard accuracy isn't an issue. 150 yards is doable. I shoot my 22lr rifles at 200 yards at steel plates on a regular basis. Note that at 200 yards and beyond, errors in shooting technique are pretty obvious.

22lr ammo comes in a variety of prices. You can plink at 50 yards with dirt cheap ammo, and save the good stuff for longer distances.

And when -- most likely not if -- you grow tired/bored of you new 22lr toy, there's a relatively active market for selling 22lr rifles. Especially something along the lines of a 10/22.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post