SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex Optics UH-1 (HWS) Finally Shipping!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Optics UH-1 (HWS) Finally Shipping! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Seen on arfcom, posted by member VortexSam:

quote:

SHIPPING UPDATE

I'm happy to report that we have just starting shipping UH-1's to retailers. They will trickle out in small quantities to start, but we anticipate things to ramp up over the next several months.

Thanks to everyone for being patient, we really thought these would have shipped sooner, but I think the wait will be worth it!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it battery or rechargeable?
It says CR123A, then I read somewhere it says MicroUSB.

guess I'll go to Vortex's website and read the actual description.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
Is it battery or rechargeable?
It says CR123A, then I read somewhere it says MicroUSB.

Both. If you use CR123s the µUSB port does nothing. If you use rechargeable 16340s (LFP123A, not RCR123), the µUSB port is used for charging.

Vortex can use it for diagnostics, as well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Waiting to see if this is really better than the comparably priced Trijicon MRO.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been interested in this. I'll wait a little bit to buy if it turns out to work, but I'm excited that there is another alternative to the EOTech.

I'll be looking for range reports and testing of them. I just don't want to be a beta tester!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, after having to return my PST Gen 2 1-6x24 for illumination issues, I'll wait and see. To their credit, Vortex fixed the issue with a new scope, but still.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Assuming I can get this for 350 dollars, is it worth it? Has anyone shot one? I have two new ar's that need red dots

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
With a $700 MSRP, it better be made in the states, Germany, Israel, or Switzerland for that price. Made in China at that price? No thanks.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It has been reported as "Made in the USA", as Vortex is manufacturing several models of optics in the states now, as opposed to only importing from Japan, PI, and China.

With a $700 MSRP it should sell for mid-$500s.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Assuming I can get this for 350 dollars, is it worth it? Has anyone shot one? I have two new ar's that need red dots

I don't know as you're going to see them for $350 anytime soon. Street price is estimated to be $500. I got a 10% off code at OP and paid $450, which was my upper limit.

As to whatever it goes for being "worth it": Only you can judge that. As for me: Red dots simply don't work well, now that I have a touch of astigmatism. It's still a problem with HWS', but, not quite as bad.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
With a $700 MSRP, it better be made in the states, ...

Except for part of the holographic system, which is made in England, it is made entirely in the U.S. This is an "AMG" series optic. Their high-end stuff.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
If I need an eotech reticle(which I prefer) I'll get an eotech. The fov on these doesn't look much bigger than a t1. The Sig romeo4 is the size of a t1, has the eotech reticle, cost half as much and I haven't heard of any issues with them yet, including the few i own.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
If I need an eotech reticle(which I prefer) I'll get an eotech. The fov on these doesn't look much bigger than a t1.

I believe these have the same FOV as an EOTech and, since there's no shroud, less view obscured by the housing.

quote:
The Sig romeo4 is the size of a t1, has the eotech reticle, cost half as much and I haven't heard of any issues with them yet, including the few i own.

It's also a RDS, not an HWS. There is mild alteration of the sight picture (it's unavoidable with an RDS) and, for some with astigmatism, an HWS works better than an RDS.

If the Romeo 4 series is working for you: Great. Believe me: I would not be spending what I am on one of these if a Romeo 4M would have done me.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I wasn't directing my comment directly at you. Just a general statement. I understand an hws may be more beneficial to some. Even with the known issues eotech has had, it would still be my fist choice. They have proven probably more than any other optic outside of an acog or m series ampoint. I had half a dozen eotech sights and never had an issue. One of them was constantly exposed to 115+ degrees of Arizona heat riding in a jeep. Never an issue with any of them.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn't directing my comment directly at you. Just a general statement.

My response was intended to be in the same vein.

quote:
I understand an hws may be more beneficial to some.

In my particular case: I tried a Romeo 4B and an Trijicon MRO in a store. The MRO, in particular, "starred" terribly to my eye.

Now it may be that if I'd chosen a target and focused on that, instead of the dot, that might have (mostly?) gone away. Some say it will.

quote:
Even with the known issues eotech has had, it would still be my fist choice.

I cannot get past those issues. Can't trust them.

And they don't seem to be moving forward. All they appear to be doing is re-inventing the wheel they already have, in smaller packages.

quote:
They have proven probably more than any other optic outside of an acog or m series ampoint. I had half a dozen eotech sights and never had an issue. One of them was constantly exposed to 115+ degrees of Arizona heat riding in a jeep. Never an issue with any of them.

There are plenty of people who have experienced the same, just as there are plenty who did experience those issues.

The door would eventually close (as it did), so I jumped. Sometimes I mildly regret my decision (sent the two I had back). Other times not.

I'm disinclined to buy another.

Sorry I did not respond earlier. Lost track of the thread. Following-up now to report I've cancelled my back-order with Optics Planet. Reasons:

• They're telling customers that pre-ordered as early as December they won't see product until August.
  • Meanwhile others have ordered from other sites and have their optics
  • Preliminary reports are not encouraging, in my opinion. The sight seems to be quite "sensitive" to ambient light levels, wrt to the reticle being either too dim or blown-out.

Given the cost and size of the device, which made it marginal, for me, in the first place: I added it all up and decided "nope."

I see the Sig Romeo 4M street price has gone up Frown I guess that was predictable. That's out, now.

I may just say "screw it" and buy a Holosun HS503GU. At less than half the price of every other RDS and HWS on the market, and free shipping via Amazon Prime, it'd be a cheap way to see if an RDS would work for me in practice. If not: I could probably resell it w/o being out too too much.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The Sig romeo4 is the size of a t1, has the eotech reticle, cost half as much and I haven't heard of any issues with them yet, including the few i own.

It's also a RDS, not an HWS. There is mild alteration of the sight picture (it's unavoidable with an RDS) and, for some with astigmatism, an HWS works better than an RDS.

is RDS vs HWS the reason for the nearly 4x weight differences listed on the two manufacturers websites between the Romeo 4 and vortex UH? or is sig not including the mount in the weight since it comes with 2 options...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WARPIG602:
They have proven probably more than any other optic outside of an acog or m series ampoint. I had half a dozen eotech sights and never had an issue. One of them was constantly exposed to 115+ degrees of Arizona heat riding in a jeep. Never an issue with any of them.

There are plenty of people who have experienced the same, just as there are plenty who did experience those issues.

Its funny that in all those years I never heard of anyone saying they had an issue, I don't even know that there was an issue with the 511/512 series. It wasnt until the suit that all of a sudden "everyone new someone" who had a problem. Sadly, no one took advantage of the downfall to capitalize on the reticle which was a huge selling point to me. An MRO with EOTech reticle would do well.

As it is, I still trust Eotech more than I would Vortex. Time may change that but I'll take my chances with Eotech as they are actually a combat proven optic.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
PS, if you want to try a Romeo shoot me an email and I'll let you try one to see if it will work for you.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
quote:

is RDS vs HWS the reason for the nearly 4x weight differences listed on the two manufacturers websites between the Romeo 4 and vortex UH? or is sig not including the mount in the weight since it comes with 2 options...

Not sure on that, I'll weight them this evening. Even then, the mounts are likely 2-4oz depending on which one you use.

Ive been starting to weigh all my optics and mounts. I find myself buying mounts now just so I can record their weight for future refernce.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS, if you want to try a Romeo shoot me an email and I'll let you try one to see if it will work for you.

Thanks very much for the offer, but the Romeo I'd want to get, the 4M, got too expensive, IMO.

They will work for me. I've looked through them at my LGS. Not as well as a HWS, but better than an MRO.

Anyway, for now I just went ahead and bought a Holosun HS503GU off Amazon. That plus the AD QD mount came to only $312.

It'll do (I hope) until the optic I want at a price I can justify comes along.

posted Hide Post
I wonder what the battery life with a regular CR123 will be? I went to Aimpoints mostly because I can leave them on and change the batteries every couple years. With EoTech's it seemed like every time I made it to the range with one the batteries were dead.

Hopefully the UH-1 has improved battery life over an EoTech. If it does it might be a winner.....dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post