SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on barrel length for 6.5 Grendel AR...18” or 20”?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on barrel length for 6.5 Grendel AR...18” or 20”? Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
As the title says...

General purpose rifle for Target/Range shooting and Hunting (Whitetail & Hogs)

Can’t decide between 18” or 20”.

Leaning towards 20”...

Any forum experiences out there ?

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muzzle velocity will likely be some 40 to 70 fps from the longer barrel, depending on load, for similar barrels.

The 20" barrel will weight a little more, with the additional weight depending on brand and barrel profile.

For a target shooting, where you generally don't move around much, a longer barrel improves flight ballistics.

For hunting, a lighter barrel is easier to carry.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
For target, 20" barrel would be my choice and what I have for my 6.5 Grendel. But for hunting, I grab one of my 6.8 SPC with a 16" or shorter barrel. When hunting, I like light weight and a short barrel. Unlike the Grendel, the 6.8 doesn't give up much when you go short on the barrel.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
Unlike the Grendel, the 6.8 doesn't give up much when you go short on the barrel.

Fluid dynamics is behind the physics of how much a bullet gains/loses velocity as a barrel length increase/decreases. There isn't much difference in powder capacity for the two cartridges, nor is there all that much difference in bore size.

Sure, the 6.8 is a slightly larger bore, therefore its MV is slightly less affected by barrel length. But it's splitting hairs -- it's not comparable to the MV & energy differences between, say, a 223 Remy and 300 blk, for SBR and rifle-length barrels.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suppressing? Get 18. If not, then get 20.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input fellas.

I got the Atheris 20”.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
What ranges are you using it?

I have a 22" for open areas and a 12" for my brush gun.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post