SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    scope advice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope advice? Login/Join 
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted
Looking for advice on a scope upgrade.

Currently have a Leupold 3.5X14 on a 6.5X47 rifle. Thinking of an excellent condition Leupold 8-25X for $800 or new Vortex Viper 6-24X for $900. Or other ideas?

Use is for deer in TX, target shooting to 800 yds, not PRS competition.

What would you do?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Unless you already have experience with a low end of 6 power, and if a primary purpose is deer hunting, I’d keep the scope you have for the low power end. Years ago when fixed power scopes were more common than the variables of the day, 6× was considered a bit much for deer hunting, and I got some questions when I chose a 6× Lyman for my first centerfire rifle. Fixed power scopes in 4× were far more popular. I’m curious, though, if your scope is really 3.5-14×; I have a 4.5-14× but didn’t know there was a 3.5-14.

If target shooting will be a main purpose with some hunting included, I believe the 6-24 would be a better compromise than 8-25×. (I also wasn’t aware of 8-25× Leupold; I have an 8.5-25×. I would consider it unsuited for any hunting except at pretty long ranges.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm with sigfreund, 3.5-14x sounds about perfect for Texas deer and 800yd target shooting to me.

This would be a good excuse to get a new rifle to go with a longer range target scope!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Sig is correct, my mistake,

My scope is a 4.5X14 Mark 4 and the one I am thinking about is 8.5X25 Mark 4. The individual selling the 8.5X25 (with Leupold rings) is firm at $850.

I can probably sell my 4.5X14 for about $500 and I can get the 6X24 Vortex for $900 now.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Field of view at 18-25x is so limited I think it will be of little usefulness for a deer rifle. In addition, you'll probably need a bipod to shoot off of at those magnifications.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a chance I'd make that change for the purposes outlined

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post