SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Red dot for a shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot for a shotgun Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

Anybody using a red dot besides a Burris Fastfire on their shotgun?
I use one on my 1201FP but I need to put a dot on my lady's new 20g Mossberg 500 and I want to be sure I'm going with the best option.

Does anyone have a better option than the FF?

Thanks

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Vortex Viper RDS on my Mossberg 590a1.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
TRS-25, its big and bulky... But easy to acquire a target.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I had an Aimpoint T1 for a good while on my Benelli M4, but changed over to a Trijicon RMR a couple months ago for it.

Its my HD and three gun shotgun.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Aimpoint micros on my turkey guns and they work very well. Benelli SBE2 for me and Remington 1187 20ga for kids and guests. Needed to tap the 1187 to add a rail.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gen 1 vortex sparc on a Mossberg 930 and a Trijicon RM06 on a Benelli M4. Both have been good.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint has a new micro for shotguns, S-1. It was at the NRA show. Attaches to the barrel rib and has a 6moa dot. Handled a display shotgun with one. Seemed nice. Attached close to the muzzle area.

http://us.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-micro-s-1/

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon RM02 on a Benelli M4. Very fast and no issues to date to date (3 years on the Shotgun)

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My one and only shotgun optic is an Aimpoint M2.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
I've been running an Insight MRDS on my 930SPX and am pretty happy with it.

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint for me. I generally prefer the larger tube models to the micro on my shotgun, but I don't think it really matters. Given that I like the MRO on other guns I would have no issue using one on a shotgun as well, but I haven't done it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Very durable and a good value. We both used them and were pleased.
We sold the shot guns and moved the pro to other weapons.

Aimpoint Pro with the low mount.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Sparc on my 11-87.My smith drilled and tapped the top of the teceiver for a length of picatinny rail. Works real well.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least on my remingtons the EGW rail works without any gunsmithing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I use a Vortex Viper on my FNH SLP. It works.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short answer is I really like shooting my Benelli M2 with an Aimpoint T2. I am much faster and more precise with slugs.

I set up a Benelli M2 Tactical with a MesaTactical Urbino Stock, an Aimpoint T2 mounted via a Midwest Industries low profile mount to allow co-witnessing with the Benelli ghost ring sights (The Midwest Industries low profile mount was designed for the Benelli M4, so I had to take about 1/8" off of the rear of the mount so it would fit with the rear iron sights and be able to use the existing factory sight base holes), single point sling attachment, GG&G Oversized Bolt Release, Charging Handle and Magazine Tube, Taran Tactical Extended Carrier (to avoid the dreaded Benelli thumb), and Freedom Fighter Tactical Forearm and Disconnector to ensure 922r compliance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: carotxn,

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post