SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need advice on AR scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on AR scope Login/Join 
posted
Just getting back into Ar's and need advice on best options on a simple, durable scope with good eye relief, low power fixed or variable with a good reticle. No red dots, and interested in a good value, best buy. I hope I'm asking the right questions. Thanks

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Primary Arms scopes. I have two 1x6-24 ACSS with the predator reticle.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
What’s your budget and how far do you want to shoot?

How long is your AR barrel?

Are you shooting for bug holes or man-sized accuracy?

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ what benny6 says ^^^

Too many variables but overall as a general statement Vortex among others has some nice scopes that are not terribly expensive.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100$to 200$or so, general purpose use, not really planning on long range. More general purpose rifle with a self defense emphasis. I haven't shot AR's much in years and I'm behind on the latest equipment development s.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akela66:
100$to 200$or so, general purpose use, not really planning on long range. More general purpose rifle with a self defense emphasis. I haven't shot AR's much in years and I'm behind on the latest equipment development s.

There were some good deals on the Vortex Diamondback scopes around $200.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24.....Has a illuminated reticle and has great eye relief....Usually can be found for just over $200.00...I have two and love this scope for AR use....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I've got a couple of them and they are nice. Pretty good bang for your buck kind of a scope. www.palmettostatearmory.com runs them pretty cheap on occasion.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help men! I am going to check those out

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
not a fan of Vortex myself. For a great scope and value look for Nikon. I know they quit making scopes. I have some that are decades old and function perfectly and are still better than many cheapies like the vortex diamondback.

A Used Leupold in 4x is also a great scope as is a vx or vari-xII in a 2-7 power.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the Primary Arms 1-? scopes for the money.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An AccuPoint 1-4 or 1-6 can be found relatively inexpensive on some other boards. The triangle reticle is on point. No batteries needed and the optic is lightweight.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Burris AR 332 fixed 3X. Love mine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold Mk AR 1-4.5 standard Duplex, works well

I have a Cabela's branded AR scope on my Service rifle I have been trying to try out (limited range time) that so far has been well,

and FWIW, I have a vintage 3x weaver on a sled mount that I was going to try on a plinker AR just for S&G's

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am considering the Primary Arms 1-8x with the BDC reticle that is in the $450 range for an upper that will have an 18" SPR/DMR barrel with rifle length gas system. And it's not made in China (Philippines). The reviews are quite good, and the reticle is very highly regarded. They make some that are more like $300. Since you are essentially buying direct on these, there's a lot of markup that is avoided.

The funny part is I have a Scalarworks 30mm QD Scope Mount which is absolutely the best mount I've ever seen. I use their red dot mounts too, absolute works of art. The scope mount is worth $399. Is it wrong if your scope mount is more expensive than your scope? Big Grin

Leupold stuff is usually good enough that you don't have to worry about getting a bad one, and if there is an issue they will take care of it. The Freedom line has stuff to consider, such as the 1.5-4x that costs around $250.

The old Weaver V3 1-3x variable was a low cost sleeper often used in competition because it was true 1x at a time when there were very few options south of a S&B Short Dot or Nightforce that could do true 1x.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post