SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best way to attach a QD sling to Magpul MOE carbine buttstock and M-Lok handguard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to attach a QD sling to Magpul MOE carbine buttstock and M-Lok handguard? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I need to get a sling for my AR. My stock is the Magpul MOE carbine. It doesn't have a slot for QD. I see a few adapters. The magpul adapter apparently requires drilling the stock. I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need to buy to attach a QD sling to this. Seems like I have to buy adapters for everything. It adds up quick. Open to suggestions before I buy the wrong adapters. Sling recommendations also welcome.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the handguard has M-LOK slots, this one worked fine the two/three times I’ve installed them.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...5.aspx?sku=100016150

I have no suggestions about the stock, but yes, the more minimalist the start, the more is involved if we want to upgrade.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about getting a new stock, toss the old one up here in the classifieds.

Other option is getting the mounting plate (that fits at the end of the buffer tube), but that changes the sling position.

I'd be reluctant to drill out the stock, but that's me.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
https://www.impactweaponscompo...-sling-mount-n-slot/

This might be one for you to consider. I had one on an N1/CAR stock, but recently changed to a GG&G. The mounting method felt secure, but there wasn't much surface area on the off side of the stock for the plate to hold on to. I think it would be good to go on the MOE though.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I have an MOE stock and use this,
https://www.primaryarms.com/iw...F&undefined=InvtPart

Looks like this on the stock,

Can’t help with the M-Lok, my forearm is a Troy Alpha rail and I use a Noveske mount there.

Edited to add, I see Bryan posted the same mount, it has worked well for me so far.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I’ll order the impact weapons adapter. They have an m lok also. I should be able to do all of this for about $100. I could replace the stock easily but I wouldn’t end up selling the old one as I’m lazy about that type of thing.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I like the BCM mlok QD cups as they are steel.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The stock literally has a slot for your sling to go, no accessories needed??

If it must be a quick detach, I'd look at the CTR or SL stock, or a B5 Bravo stock.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much gotten past the fixation with 'QD' everything.
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The stock literally has a slot for your sling to go, no accessories needed??
Yes, and after using that IWC QD mount for quite some time (on a CTR stock, which is the same as the MOE, with the addition of a lock and a QD attachment point), I removed it and started using the slot at the back of the stock. With the IWC mount, the rifle wanted to roll badly when slung on my chest. Using the built-in slot at the rear solved this issue. no more rolling.

Oh, and I was using the IWC mount even though the CTR has a built-in QD mount because the built-in QD mount is not rotation limited, whereas the IWC part is. I can't have a sling that gets twisted each time you sling or unsling the rifle.

Also, I never felt the IWC mount was truly secure. You're clamping metal parts to plastic parts. The metal wins. The IWC mount chewed up the slot a bit and seemed like if the wear of the slot became bad enough, the mount would fail to hold. And God help you if you forget to loctite those screws.

Just use the slot. Nothing to buy and nothing to fail, and, of course, the stock slot is the ultimate is "limited rotation" Wink

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bubba and Para. You’ve saved me some cash. My AR is new to me. I just took the modern sporting rifle class at Sig Academy and knew then I needed a sling. I was t prepared for all the options. I appreciate the help.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Doing a bit more research I plan to order the Vickers sling. I still need M Lok hardware for the handguard. Should I get the QD for the handguard only? Not finding many other options for some reason.

These go to eleven.

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319369949

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003245176?pid=746994

I would use these two items.

The inserts are steel and i would get one of each type so you dont have to worry about switching sides and it will also make a more secure fit.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nickelsig. But those don’t fit what I have. In any case I think I’m good. I’m going to get the Vickers sling based on Para’s recommendation in a thread from last year. I will also order a Magpul QD for the hand guard to attach the sling.

These go to eleven.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you have MLOK attachment on your front rail, and dont want/need a quick detach, look at these.

https://magpul.com/m-lok-gi-sling-swivel.html

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Who are you ordering the Vickers sling from? Blue Force Gear has the U-Loop that will fit through the MLOK slot (with some swearing) without the need for QD and without rotation issues. I used that on my Beretta 1301 from LTT and its great. I also did that on my SCAR (when I had it) when it had aftermarket MLOK handguards using the Universal Wire Loop (similar but different). The U Loop disconnects and has one "strand" through the loop but the UWL is doubled through. The U Loop worked well on the Beretta that used a Magpul MLock. I used the UWL also, but liked the ULoop better, so I switched up, mostly due to weaponlight placement.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post