SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    80 Percent Shotgun - this makes no sense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 Percent Shotgun - this makes no sense Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Link

I don’t understand the need or desire for this, especially at $450.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a boss I had once that taught me a lot about business. I was telling him about how I didn't care for a product we had in our line up -
His reply, "Damn son, this shit is made to sell not to use."

Only thing I can think of is there is a hot button for the 80% stuff right now. Novelty, avoiding paperwork, giving a big FU to the government whatever - it's obviously selling.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's so "The Man" won't know you own (another) gun!

(Roll Eyes)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a polished turd!

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I bet if they gave just a little more effort they could’ve engraved their logo even LARGER.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t get any 80% firearms.

I mean I get it. You either want to have the pride of finishing out your own gun in an easy way or you want your guns off the books. I get that and more power to you.

Not for me personally though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's $450 plus:

What’s NOT Included (but you’ll still need):

ALL the parts from a stock 12ga Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun except for the following:

original receiver
buttstock
trigger pack assembly
take down pin
firing pin
firing pin return spring

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I've thought about doing a Polymer 80 as a project. But really I think a %80 1911 is on my list. Just because I want to learn more about the platform & assemble/hand fit one.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
It's $450 plus:

What’s NOT Included (but you’ll still need):

ALL the parts from a stock 12ga Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun except for the following:

original receiver
buttstock
trigger pack assembly
take down pin
firing pin
firing pin return spring

as in total $$$ outlay is equal to 3 good used Mossberg 500's

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
There is a big market with the tin-foil hat crowd for "un-papered" firearms. (notwithstanding those who are prohibited from owning firearms).

That is, a firearm that has never had a 4473 filed for a transaction, thus not in any Goverment data-Base or file.

However, due to the recent 26"OAL and 14" craze, a non-NFA shorty "firearm" could be legally manufactured from an 80% lower.

Anyhow, seems like a lot of work.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's so "The Man" won't know you own (another) gun!

(Roll Eyes)

You got that right. Same deal with solvent traps. Use card, and they have your purchases. Pull cash, and buy, and many an algorithm can predict your next purchase based on search history. Machine learning and its uses in AML have pioneered this type of "police work".

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...ia-leads-to-arrests/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
There is a big market with the tin-foil hat crowd for "un-papered" firearms. (notwithstanding those who are prohibited from owning firearms).

That is, a firearm that has never had a 4473 filed for a transaction, thus not in any Goverment data-Base or file.

However, due to the recent 26"OAL and 14" craze, a non-NFA shorty "firearm" could be legally manufactured from an 80% lower.

Anyhow, seems like a lot of work.

unpapered firearms have been a thing since there was paper needed,

used to do the Roanoke VA gunshows in the early 80's,

many many hillbillies would come by the tables, first question was price, second question was do I need to do any paperwork,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
and another excuse to have their firearm cerakoated in leopard print!!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I understand the tin-foil hat people think these are the thing to have. But you can buy a cheap pump shotgun any day of the week in a private sale, and even though it was "in the system" at some point, no one will know you have it. With any luck at all, it will have already changed hands two or three times in private sales, and "they" won't be even close to the last recorded transaction.

With not much effort, you could buy a gun from before 1968 without a serial number and which was never recorded by the government. Or even if it was serialized, was sold before any transfer paperwork was needed. I have several in that category myself, inherited from my father in law.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I can make a cheaper shotgun at Home Depot.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I'm pretty sure I can make a cheaper shotgun at Home Depot.

I'm pretty sure you are 100% CORRECT, AND do it for under 25 dollars.

While I will admit a bit of a bias since I've found shooting little orange disks of clay to be quite enjoyable. But I find that monstrosity to be the absolute ULTIMATE in BUTT UGLY. I would much rather be seen with a Mossberg than that monstrosity.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post