SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Info on Primary Weapon Systems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on Primary Weapon Systems Login/Join 
Picture of Poppy6x
posted
Anybody have experience with PWS? I’m lookin at the MK114 Mod2. Handled it at LGS and seemed like a solid AR. Pricey at $1750 asking.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I have a few PWS rifles and I really like them a lot. I first bought their 7.5" Diablo upper to slap on one of my SBR lowers several years ago. It is still going strong and now resides on a PWS pistol lower so that it can travel with me when I go out of state. I liked it so much that I got the MK107 and MK111 SBRs, and a MK116 rifle that I also have a MK114 upper for.

I'm not a big "specs" guy, so I can't tell you off the top of my head what their weights and dimensions are, but I can tell you that, being piston guns, they are heavier than DI guns, but not so much so that they are uncomfortable to carry or shoot. They have adjustable gas settings, but I've never had the need to change the settings, because I don't run these particular guns suppressed, and I have never had a failure with any of them, no matter the ammo used.

One of the main selling points for PWS to me, is the fact that they are totally ambidextrous. I'm right-handed, but I shoot long guns mainly left-handed. I tend to add left-hand friendly controls to most ARs, but PWS comes good to go for me right out of the box. I did have to change the charging handle to the Radian Raptor on a couple of my older ones, but I think the newer ones now come with the Raptor.

A point of contention for some is the fact that the premium PWS uppers do not have a forward assist. This is not a problem for me. I've never had a situation arise where I needed to use a forward assist, but I understand that a lot of people would rather have it. My only interaction with forward assists comes when, as a lefty, I reach up to aggressively rack the charging handle, and the forward assist grabs hold of a fingernail and peels it backwards. Not fun.

If you haven't had a chance, I suggest you look up some YouTube videos on PWS rifles from the likes of Garand Thumb, Sage Dynamics, and Military Arms Channel. They all have lots of good info.

So, to sum up, PWS rifles are indeed pricey. To me, however, they are well worth it.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
PWS makes an outstanding product. I have several of their MK 111 uppers configured as pistols. They are shot suppressed 99% of the time and they just run and run.

The accuracy is outstanding as well. I am extremely pleased with my PWS uppers, and despite having SCAR 16's and one LWRCI piston, I prefer the PWS because the ergonomics are great and it is not that much heavier than a DI gun.

This interview with the PWS owner is really informative:
https://youtu.be/JH88XlGpOVs

Buy a PWS with confidence! They are the "sleeper" best buy in the piston catergory in my opinion.

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Back when they were doing them, I had PWS convert one of my Colt DI uppers to their piston system. Good quality parts and excellent customer service.

My LGS is the local dealer for PWS and all of their products are solid and well built. If I didn't already have my 516, I'd be on a PWS like white on rice.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I've been issued a PWS 14.5 inch rifle. We T&E'd their 10 inch gun and their 14.5. For what you get, the price isn't all that bad.

After being involved in the T&E process, when the first batch of guns came in, I turned my 10.5 inch HK 416 in and was issued my 14.5 inch PWS. It is the best rifle I have ever been issued. The gun is really flat shooting between the PWS muzzle device and the piston system.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be honest, unless you want to run suppressed, I wouldn’t go for a PWS piston upper. For how most people run their ARs, the extra weight and proprietary parts aren’t worth it, unless you really, really hate to clean a DI AR. The piston system with an adjustable gas block does make a big difference when running a can, though.

I’m using a MK111 Pro upper on one of my SBR lowers, usually with a Reece 5 suppressor.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No full weapon but I have used a ton of PWS parts.
PWS is one if I didn't build my own rifles is one brand I would not hesitate to buy.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post