SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA AR 9's Pistols
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA AR 9's Pistols Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have experience or opinions of how reliable are the PSA AR 9 Pistols? I am interested in something for Self Defense besides range use. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
First thing you should change out is the buffer & spring. Go to at least a 7.5 oz PCC buffer and 308 buffer spring.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5290026044

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
First thing you should change out is the buffer & spring. Go to at least a 7.5 oz PCC buffer and 308 buffer spring.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5290026044

Thanks CanyMan.45 I believe that you answered my question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I put 50 trouble free rounds through my unfired 4" model; not a hiccup.

As an aside, does anyone have any real world experience with one of the captive buffer recoil assemblies?

http://palmettostatearmory.com...5-6oz-arm153-h3.html

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15567 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This issue (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5290026044) aside, both my PSA builds (carbine and 10.5 inch pistol) have been utterly reliable from day one. BUT, mine are the Colt magazine fed type built with PSA's now extinct mag-well block on Anderson receivers. I can't speak to the Glock-fed versions. The only things I added to the PSA parts was a buffer spacer, as the PSA buffer is the original Colt-spec, short, 5.6 ounce model (which for some unknown reason didn't include a spacer), and Rock River firing pins.
I suppose there are "better" pistol-caliber ARs out there, but they are considerably more expensive, and I frankly don't see how they could be any more reliable than mine have been.
I looked at pistol caliber carbines (of ALL types and brands) for a long time, and finally fell into the PSA stuff when they were blowing the kits and parts out prior to coming out with the Glock-mag stuff. Granted, in my case price clinched the decision, but IMO the 9mm ARs are the way to go for blow-back actions. The AR's modular nature, easy availability of parts, and sheer number of offerings made it the right move for me.
Just my opinion, but you could easily spend more without actually getting more.
FWIW!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Does anyone have experience or opinions of how reliable are the PSA AR 9 Pistols? I am interested in something for Self Defense besides range use. Thanks.
If you didn't see it already they have two versions of a complete pistol, with a KAK Shockwave Blade, 10.5" barrel, and MLOK handguard, for $550, and free shipping.

I have that exact same upper, and am frustrated, because I've been trying for a couple weeks to get a pistol lower for it. Had I waited a little longer, I could have just purchased one of these. (although I would prefer the SB Tactical SOB brace).

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pistol and carbine that were both 100% until I started screwing around with binary triggers.

The pistol has a snug chamber and I have had a bullet pull out of aluminum case 9mm while clearing the gun. Could have been the ammo, haven't tried duplicating it. No such trouble with brass or steel case. They both eat brown bear happily.

Outside of that both were trouble free well past a thousand rounds.

Then I started trying to get binary triggers working in them and for that some work is necessary. Don't think you really need to do much to them for normal plinking.

Biggest complaint I have is that PSA should sell parts, very few are available.

CMMG Bolt parts kit is like $40 and PSA sells an entire upper down to ~$200.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I've got one that I purchased as a pistol and converted to an SBR when the stamp came through. Use Glock mags, has a 7.5" barrel.

Advice to change out the buffer is spot on. I sheared the tip off the extractor in the first couple range sessions using the buffer it came with. What surprised me was that it continued to run just fine without an extractor! Unless you needed to eject a live round, that is.

I put a KAW Valley 7.5 ounce extra-length buffer in mine. It's been fine ever since. Have not changed the buffer spring. BUT I did take the precaution of buying two spare extractors from New Frontier Armory.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I bought one of their rifle kits and sold the barrel. Got a 4” barrel from ADCO and built my AR9 SBR with almost all PSA parts. I’m using a YHM 9mm buffer.

Everything works fine. I didn’t have any issues with PSA’s BCG or magblock.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Good grief, I wish this had been offered back when I bought my upper: http://palmettostatearmory.com...arth-5165448224.html

It even has an ambi safety, which I need as a lefty.

As it is I paid $350 for my 10.5" upper, and I'm waiting (impatiently) on a lower that cost me $215, with no brace. So after paying $30 for an ambi safety, and $115 for an SOB brace, I'm spending an extra $210 over this offer.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Does anyone have experience or opinions of how reliable are the PSA AR 9 Pistols?
So, I finally got my "Glock style" lower, and shot it today.

I have this upper: http://palmettostatearmory.com...g-ch-5165447846.html

I have this lower: http://palmettostatearmory.com...l-moe-lower-blk.html

I used Glock OEM Gen 4 model 17 and 19 mags.

I added an ambidextrous safety, since I'm a lefty with long guns.

I first shot a grab bag of ammo, which was a variety of 115gr and 124gr rounds, both round nose and flat nose. Everything worked great. No failures.

Then I shot some Speer 124gr GDHP, and Federal 147gr Hydrashok, and again everything functioned great. No failures.

I then swapped the buffer for a Kaw Valley Precision (KVP) 7.5oz pistol caliber buffer: https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...uffer-7.5-9mm-ss.htm

I shot everything again, including both varieties of hollow points. All went well with the heavier and longer buffer, although the new buffer didn't change the hard cycling of the action as much as I would have liked. Again no failures. I've ordered a Tubbs flat wire AR-10 buffer spring, as that is rumored to tame the hard cycling when combined with the KVP 7.5oz pistol buffer. https://www.larue.com/products...r-25-buffer-springs/

When that gets here I will test it all again, including the hollow points.

While I've seen claims "Glock style" AR9s can be prone to failures with hollow points, I didn't have a single problem with mine. If it was going to be for serious use, I would want to run 200-300 rounds of my chosen "duty" ammo through it, just to be sure. Mine is just a range toy, so I'm not doing that right now. I didn't keep a round count, but when shooting the hollow points I went through 20-30 of each type with the stock PSA buffer, and the same with the KVP buffer. I shot about 100 rounds of the other ammo, using each of the buffers.

I will say, with Glock mags there is no last round bolt hold open (LRBHO). If you want/need the LRBHO, then go with the "Colt style" lower, and mags.

Overall I'm very pleased with the functioning of this AR9. I've got a friend who has one with an 8" upper, and "Glock style" lower. His also had no malfunctions when I have shot it, but we only used FMJ ammo when I have shot it, and I never asked if he's tried any hollow points. With the 8" barrel it balances better, because obviously there is less weight out front, but you lose some muzzle velocity. An acquaintance has a "Colt style" lower, and 10.5" upper. I have not shot that one, but he reports that it too has been flawless, with a variety of ammo, including various hollow points.

Picture of zeme05
posted Hide Post
I bought the 10.5" that uses Glock mags. Put about 100 rds with 0 issues and havent change out the buffer. Only issue was charging it the first time and did it like a 5.56 using the sling shot method. The bullet failed to go to battery and after ejecting it saw where the projectile had been pushed back into the case. I did not use this method again and think the bullet hit the mouth of the chamber driving it backwards.

Posts: 1375 | Location: West Texas | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
So far, I've bought two Colt style lowers from PSA and two different 10.5" uppers. The second setup has had no issues. I've run about 200 rounds through it.

The first one was sent back for repair as there was some kind of tolerance stacking issue with the bolt. It would just jam up on the feed ramp ( with one particular upper). There was also an issue with the ejector that required it to be bent in a tiny amount. That one now has about 300 trouble free rounds through it.
The are both 100 % reliable now
However, I'm not happy with the groups at 50 yards. They look like I've fired buckshot at 50 yards. My Canik TP9 sfx does way better at the same distance.
I haven't had a chance to test accuracy with the second barrel.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

As an aside, does anyone have any real world experience with one of the captive buffer recoil assemblies?

Not in a 9mm, and not that particular offering.

I have a JP captive buffer in my 5.56 3-gun rifle. I really like it for that application but I have no idea how it would fare in a 9mm.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I installed one of the Armaspec 9mm captive springs in one of the PSA lowers that I have. I can't tell a noticeable difference in recoil.
It does, however, prevent the bolt from going too far back. This prevents it from slamming into the bolt catch too hard when it is held open. You can do the same thing with a few quarters under the regular recoil spring. I tried that too. All I can say is that it works.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've ordered a Tubbs flat wire AR-10 buffer spring, as that is rumored to tame the hard cycling when combined with the KVP 7.5oz pistol buffer.
Update: I got the new spring, and I got to shoot the pistol again yesterday. I didn't have much time, but I put another 30 rounds of Speer GDHP through it. Again, it functioned flawlessy, and the new spring really smoothed out the cycling of the bolt. Now I'm really enjoying this AR pistol, and look forward to shooting it a lot more.