SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Feds charge Connecticut teen with manufacturing, selling illegal firearms, including AR-15-style rifles"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Feds charge Connecticut teen with manufacturing, selling illegal firearms, including AR-15-style rifles" Login/Join 
posted
"Dumbass" is among the words that come to mind.

https://www.courant.com/breaki...bcb3pxsze-story.html

Feds charge Willimantic teen with manufacturing, selling illegal firearms, including AR-15-style rifles

by DAVID OWENS
HARTFORD COURANT
DEC 14, 2018 | 6:09 PM
NEW HAVEN

An 18-year-old Willimantic man faces a host of federal firearms charges after authorities say he purchased gun parts online, then illegally assembled and sold the firearms, including four AR-15-style rifles.

Mohammadrez “Reza” Kamali was initially charged Nov. 2 after the U.S. attorney’s office said he sold the four rifles to an undercover federal agent. A federal grand jury indicted Kamali Nov. 14 on a charge of dealing firearms without a license, and then on Friday a superseding indictment was returned adding charges of possessing a firearm made in violation of the National Firearms Act and possession of an unregistered firearm.

He was released on $50,000 bail, but with strict conditions. Among them, he must subject himself to GPS monitoring, house arrest with one of his parents present at all times, give federal authorities access to any computers or electronic devices, not receive any packages from the post office or commercial delivery service and undergo a psychological evaluation.

Kamali came to the attention of authorities in March 2018 when a man called Willimantic police to report a package containing gun parts and addressed to him had been delivered to his home. The man told police he received notification that a second package was waiting for him at FedEx. The man said he had not ordered anything related to firearms and he was concerned the packages were intended for his son, a minor.

Police talked to the man’s son, who said his classmate, Kamali, asked if he could have items shipped to his house. The teen told Kamali no, but Kamali went ahead and did it anyway, according to the government.

Kamali told police that he and the second teen had ordered the parts together.

“Kamali told the investigators that they had ordered an 80 percent receiver and that they were going to mill it out and assemble it,” according to government documents. An 80 percent receiver is a partially completed firearm that requires special tools and skills to complete. It requires additional work to be considered a firearm under federal law. Federal firearms laws do not apply to 80 percent receivers.

Police told Kamali that assembling the firearm would be illegal since he was younger than 21.

Kamali continued to order parts and tools for firearms, including a jig to drill holes in the frame of a pistol, according to the government.

In September, police learned that Kamali was offering to sell handguns and long guns, according to the government. Kamali was knowingly selling the firearms without serial numbers, and claimed he had sold such firearms to several people, according to the government. Police then referred the case to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

ATF agents tracked the purchases of gun parts, searched Kamali’s home, questioned him and made undercover purchases of illegal firearms from him. Kamali told the an undercover ATF agent he had to sneak weapons out of his home because his parents did not know he was selling them.

Kamali snuck one part of a rifle out of his parents' house by shoving it down his pants, according to the government. He told the undercover agent he was having a hard time keeping up with demand for his firearms. He also told the agent he was giving him a break on price.

“When I sell to like my actual, uh, my real customers, uh, yeah they don’t want any discount price. They want to pay the full price because they’re mafia guys and they respect what I do,” he said, according to a transcript of a recording of the transaction.

Federal prosecutors are so concerned about Kamali’s alleged conduct they wanted him held in custody pending trial. A U.S. magristrate judge granted Kamali bail, and prosecutors asked a federal judge to review the decision. The judge decided to allow Kamali to remain free on bail, but added restrictions to those already put in place by the magistrate judge.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Boys will be boys, right?

Sounds like some of the shenanigans that my friends would have been mixed up in back in the day.

But, yeah. He is a freaking dumbass.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you are that stupid, you deserve what you get.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
He was 18 and selling illegal guns? Throw the book at him. If he’s doing this at 18, he will be a drag on society forever.

I’d just as soon launch him into the sun with the other criminals and be done with them.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Police told Kamali that assembling the firearm would be illegal since he was younger than 21.

Is this a state thing???

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Is this a state thing???

I don't know, but it's Connecticut, not exactly a gun friendly state. I could not find anything here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search just to learn. There is certainly a prohibition of selling at retail. But in this case I think they are overstepping the statue. But if he was making (as alleged) unserialized guns and selling them in volume it won't make a hoot of difference about this particular section.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah making unserialized guns for yourself is one thing.

Making them with the intent to sell and selling them, thats another.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Next line in the article, it did use the word pistol. Maybe AR pistol? Yes, dumbass.

"Police told Kamali that assembling the firearm would be illegal since he was younger than 21.

Kamali continued to order parts and tools for firearms, including a jig to drill holes in the frame of a pistol, according to the government."

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Next line in the article, it did use the word pistol. Maybe AR pistol? Yes, dumbass.

"Police told Kamali that assembling the firearm would be illegal since he was younger than 21.

Kamali continued to order parts and tools for firearms, including a jig to drill holes in the frame of a pistol, according to the government."

So it is a state thing.
No prohibition here on 18 years olds owning or possessing pistols.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
”When I sell to like my actual, uh, my real customers, uh, yeah they don’t want any discount price. They want to pay the full price because they’re mafia guys and they respect what I do,” he said, according to a transcript of a recording of the transaction.

Well then, he ought to have a pretty good lawyer showing before long, heh? Roll Eyes

What-a-maroon!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

What-a-maroon!

Maroon?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

What-a-maroon!

Maroon?

Old Bugs Bunny malaprop.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope he was using bravado to describe his “clients” and that they were merely other kids. If they actually get used in serious crimes, I sincerely hope he faces the full penalty of law.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
If you are that stupid, you deserve what you get.

A big +1. Hope he enjoys his stay at the Gray Bar hotel.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I’d just as soon launch him into the sun with the other criminals and be done with them.

That's ridiculous and impractical. Dumping them from aircraft flying over the ocean would be much less expensive. Big Grin

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drop him in the ocean? Launch him to the sun? If he has a criminal past, lock him up. If this is the first time take it easy. My brother was trying to Mfg bombs with his Christmas chemistry set when he was 7 or 8, I helped the idiot put out a fire that looked to be heading out of control in the basement, while mom was upstairs too. That might not have even been illegal 50 years back, this probably wasn't as well. I'm for going easy on young folks if they are apologetic and sorry.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Drop him in the ocean? Launch him to the sun? If he has a criminal past, lock him up. If this is the first time take it easy. My brother was trying to Mfg bombs with his Christmas chemistry set when he was 7 or 8, I helped the idiot put out a fire that looked to be heading out of control in the basement, while mom was upstairs too. That might not have even been illegal 50 years back, this probably wasn't as well. I'm for going easy on young folks if they are apologetic and sorry.

Did you read the original story? He knew what he was doing and attempted to get others involved without their knowledge. He was warned and ignored it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:

So it is a state thing.
No prohibition here on 18 years olds owning or possessing pistols.

18 year olds may own and possess handguns, but not buy them from a licensed dealer. Since he was manufacturing them also, you must be 21 to hold a license. So he was in violation of Federal law.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post