SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Decision
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Decision Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I have decided I need a variable x scope and am down to a quality decision between the 1-8x Vortex Strikefire, the Sig Whiskey 1-5x. It would be used for target practice and, hopefully never, a medium range defense rifle.
It would go on my 14.5" M4.
Any thoughts that could help me out?? Thank you.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I assume you meant Strike Eagle 1-8x. The 1-8x I handled seemed pretty good. Not quite a high end type optic, but noticeably better than The entry level scopes.

I had a 1-4x strikefire. It was An entry level scope but it worked fine for what it was. Basically a red dot with a reticle and ability to get a little magnification. Held zero forever. Adjustments didn’t seem uniform but it was easy enough to zero at 100.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly if you have the scratch, I'd go either Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24 ($600ish), Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 ($699), or Steiner P4Xi ($500).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I have the Strikefire on my 3-gun AR and it performs with no problems, just not super clear.

I also have a PST 1-4x on my .308 SBR, I am pretty sure it is no longer tracking.

I recently posted about this same/similar thing and the suggestion was the Accupower.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I do think the accupower should be put on my list. The 12 hour battery life is pretty low, though. I will definetly look at the PST Gen2 and the Steiner P4Xi.

Thanks dor the help so far.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Steiner 1-4, Sig VX5 1-5 or Trijicon.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to IOR/Valdada?

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Honestly if you have the scratch, I'd go either Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24 ($600ish), Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 ($699), or Steiner P4Xi ($500).

^^^ This - My vote is for the Trijicon! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8881 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I believe, with your help, and, after trying the scopes out, I am down to the following:

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 ($699), or Steiner P4Xi ($500).

Thanks for the help. But, knowing me, I will now start to overthink this

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
H,

Vortex is my go-to scope for low and mid range value. Nightforce is my go-to for high end stuff.

I only have two of the Gen 1 Vortex Viper PSTs. They are a pretty good value for the money. You could try out my Vortex Viper PST 1-4 x 24 on a Sig 516 AR if you wanted. My other Vortex Viper PST is a 4-16 x 50 on a SCAR17s.

So, of your choices, I would go with the Vortex. I'm quite taken with mine.

K

ETA, we need to get together for some range time before the snow flies!

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks for the offer, K. We belong to the NRA range in Kilkenny. I will contact you.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Steiner P4XI

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ercarr:
What ever happened to IOR/Valdada?

I've got an older 3x IOR/Valdada QR-TS Tactical Rifle Scope 3x25 30mm BDC that I bought off the Sample List ... its ok but for anything over about 3x the price goes up quickly ... at least that's what I was seeing the last time I was shopping.

Personally, the last few scopes I've bought I've gone with Leupold. Their price and performance is hard to beat.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
As its been said, for the money and assuming buying new, then I'd go with the steiner. Another option is always keep an eye out on the used market. Might be able to snag an optic a tier up in price for the lower price point.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Steiner on my Daniel Defense, and love the clarity. With a little bit of luck you can find them on sale for about $450. Good luck.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
You can find the Leupold VX6 1-6 (non-hd model) for around $600 as well.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to decide on snagging one of these PA 1-6x24 FFP . Been very pleased with Primary Arms scopes for the cost vs performance.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post