SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 716 - M1A Discussion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 716 - M1A Discussion Login/Join 
posted
I've always been a M1A kinda guy. I've had many and kept a few. Starting to think about a Sig 716 and wondering how it compares or contrasts with a Scout/Squad or SOCOM. I'm interested in hearing your experiences to that end. Thanks

Posts: 57 | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
How do you plan to use the 716 differently than you use your M1A?

One difference that jumps right out of my mind is that the 716 has adjustable gas settings. This let's you run a suppressor without changing out parts, as with an M1A.

Another is that you can mount a scope without an offset as with the M1A.

Also, you can take it apart and put it back together without affecting the accuracy, as with an M1A.

I've got its little brother the 516. What I love about it is how easy it is to clean. All I have to do is wipe off the bolt and swab out the barrel. No scrubbing or scraping needed, as with DI AR rifles.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I sold my 716 DMR in favor of the M1A Scout.

I should note that I also have a precision bolt rifle in 308 which was part of the decision to let it go.

The 716 in the DMR configuration for me was a mid range 400-700 yard gun. Ultimately I decided that I didn't need the type of precision the DMR offered (.76 factory 5 shot target)for a rifle of that type and wanted something lighter and ultimately more readily available parts. The weight difference was huge. While the M1A is not light by any means. If I recall the difference for both rifles bare was 3-4lbs. An equally important point to consider when going with a proprietary gas system or gun, ESPECIALLY Sig, is parts availability. Sig is notorious for making changes to models and making previous versions obsolete. The 716 is no different as we are now onto Gen2 716 models. The DMR was made in far fewer numbers than the carbine 716 version and I was concerned over replacement parts should i need them in the future. Since the 716 is largely, if not completely proprietary, I would be left with no source for parts except for Sig....who no longer is producing this particular model. That's a tough pill to swallow on what was a 3k rifle.

I never had an issue with my 716 and it was entirely accurate. For me personally, I just found myself grabbing the bolt gun when I wanted to do some precision work and the M1A was more than capable of making the same shots that I was using the 716 for, not necessarily precision work more than it was rapid engagement where I didn't really need MOA type accuracy. In the end the readily available parts, weight saving, cost savings and time proven paltform and design won out. If MOA type accuracy is your goal the 716 would win there but not a lot anywhere else. Even then I would likely go with a different company who doesn't drop rifle lines every 2 years, even if they are also 100 proprietary in design, i.e. LWRC, LArue etc.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig says it's normal that one of my Sig 716's shoots 5 shot groups at ~3 MOA with gold medal match and 8-10+ MOA with various xm80 ball.

They've had the rifle 3 times. Final assessment is that it is "in spec".

So if you care about accuracy and choose to get a 716... get one that has the accuracy guarantee. Patrols do not.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They said 8-10 MOA is normal? Yeesh. It's not like XM80 is sh*t ammunition

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both. I still have my Sig 716 patrol. I put a SSA-e trigger and a Nightforce on it and it shoots lights out with 168 FGMM. I guess I got lucky with mine. I liked my M1A scout squad but the Sig does what I needed done better at the time. I would lime to get another Springfield sometime but in my experience, my Sig shoots better than any of the he M1A's I have ever fired.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post