SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR pistol charging handle question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR pistol charging handle question Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have a PSA AR pistol in 556 and I have been doing a few add ons over the last few weeks as I shoot it more. Since it has a standard AR charging handle I wanted to try an extended one that I can work one handed. Was looking at the BCM ones though I found a company called Strike Industries and it was $20 cheaper for an extended latch and the reviews were great. Well when I installed it tonight it will charge the gun and the bolt is secure (will allow firing and action to run), but the charging latch does not fully engage as it is a couple millimeters shy of the latch tip engaging with the cutout along the receiver.

The old charging handle that was a standard run of the mill one latched fine when closed. Why would the new Strike one not fully latch? Is the handle out of spec? Would it be bad to try and run it this way? As in could the charging handle come flying back since it won’t latch?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
So I have a PSA AR pistol in 556 and I have been doing a few add ons over the last few weeks as I shoot it more. Since it has a standard AR charging handle I wanted to try an extended one bag I can work one handed. Was looking at the BCM ones though I found a company called Strike Industries and it was $20 cheaper for an extended latch and the reviews were great. Well when I installed it tonight it will charge the gun and the bolt is secure (will allow firing and action to run), but the charging latch does not fully engage as it is a couple millimeters shy of the latch tip engaging with the cutout along the receiver.

The old charging handle that was a standard run of the mill one latched fine when closed. Why would the new Strike one not fully latch? Is the handle out of spec? Would it be bad to try and run it this way? As in could the charging handle come flying back since it won’t latch?

Do you have a picture? If it does not latch, it will be a nuisance.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Was gonna take a pic though I forgot and just put the old one in. It latches fine and even goes a mm beyond the latch groove. Weird that the Strike one won’t fully engage. Even with the bolt out the strike latch won’t fully engage. I thought al these were to the same general spec.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a colt 11.5" upper that the original
latch point has gotten rounded off and when firing the handle would pop me in the nose and at first I wasn't even sure what it was, I ordered a new upper receiver and it did the same thing, finally I replaced the charge handle with the one from CNC or something like that ... a one handed $20 charge handle and all was good.

I guess the story is, that if it doesn't latch, be prepared to get popped on the nose!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Duplicate post please delete

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Is it possible for it to be one of their "latchless" charging handles...I've never seen one in use before (IMHO the idea seems like an answer in quest of a problem)...I know zilch about them other than knowing that they exist...

https://www.strikeindustries.c...charging-handle.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Strike Industries is.. less than stellar in my opinion.

The fact that their charging handle doesn't properly work does not surprise me.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I’m sending it back. It is supposed to latch as it has one on the left side. Funny I thought they were known for good products. Seems like everyone likes them from my research. I still like their version of a hand stop.

Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I too had a Strike Industries charging handle that would not work on one of my PSA uppers. It seemed to be a little too wide and hung up. I put in a Bushmaster and it worked fine. I tried another charging handle by Rise Armament and found them to be very similar to the old BCM Mod 4 that I used to buy (I don't care for the new BCM style). The Rise handle was much better made than the Strike Industries IMO.

So far I bought two of the Rise charging handles, one for a carbine and one for my 300 BLK pistol. I'm very happy with them.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I’m sending it back. It is supposed to latch as it has one on the left side. Funny I thought they were known for good products. Seems like everyone likes them from my research. I still like their version of a hand stop.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
Strike Industries is.. less than stellar in my opinion.

The fact that their charging handle doesn't properly work does not surprise me.

Yeah I’m not too impressed by then either. I bought a plus 2 mag extension for my G43 and it doesn’t come with an extended spring and it causes malfunctions. They seem to cut corners to save themselves money at the expense of the customer

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shoddy cheap aftermarket parts not working?

Surprise surprise.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few Strike comps and other items, I like them. I also have a few extended BCM charging handles on my ar's and they work great. I have come to the conclusion, buy once,cry once.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post