SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint M5 Comp or Eotech XPS for my M4?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint M5 Comp or Eotech XPS for my M4? Login/Join 
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted
I have always ran an Aimpoint M4 Comp on my Colt M4's. Looking for an optic for another M4 and I have been looking at the Eotech this time around.

What's is one's thought of Eotech?

Gun is primarily used for home defense.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1520 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I had an Eotech on an AR, but went back to the Aimpoint. Nothing wrong with the Eo, I just prefer a plain red dot. That being said Eotech appears to have their act together after their last problem, but I just don't trust them. I also enjoy being able to change a battery every two to three years, and still know it's good. For me the combat proven qualities and extreme battery life means Aimpoint for me.

One potential plus for the Eotech is they have (or used to) a bullet drop reticle that works with a magnifier. For those who need this I don't think it's available in an Aimpoint.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Eotech certainly stumbled a while back, although I've yet to find one vet who used one on their fighting gun and attributed anything negative about them, other than usual expected wear and tear.

I truly trust and enjoy Aimpoints. It's the only optic we issue or allow on duty rifles at this time, as it holds up to harsh environments very well.

That said, Eotech is back, their products are solid and running just fine. I recently picked two up for personal rifles and trust them just fine. In fact, before they gain popularity again and while they are rebuilding their reputation, they are often available at pretty sweet prices if you keep your eye out. The two I got were $399 on a weekend special sale not long ago. Well worth that dollar amount.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint CompM5 on serious rifles. The 16" mid has a 3x mag, and the 10.3" has just the Aimpoint but they are otherwise identical except for the barrel length. I can put the 3x on the 10.3 for sight-in or other use if I want.

But I am trying a Trjicon MRO an a fixed front sight base mid-length build with plastic handguards. Had to have a gun that can take a bayonet properly because bayonet lugs were such a big deal during the AWB. Cheaper build, and less expensive optic (~$500 with mount vs. ~$900).

First optic I ever tried on an AR was an EO Tech. I hated it. Too big and clumsy, poor battery life, and it loosened up during shooting. The newer ones with CR123 lithium batteries look better but I still think they are too big.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I should add that a friend of mine chose an Eotech when he deployed because at the time it was the only optic that ran on AA batteries. He once came out of the mountains of Afghanistan and was able to buy batteries at the first village they rolled into.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i would include the Trijicon MRO in your options. Great optic too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
EoTechs do give a wider forward FOV, but other than that, I still feel that they don't have much else really going for them over other optics such as an Aimpoint, so that's what I'd stick with personally.

Aimpoint's Comp M5S has caught my eye recently. Just like with the M4 and M4S, the S model has the battery compartment mounted low on the body of the sight, ( and not partially blocking the forward view. )

If I was in the market for a new RDS and had the cheddar to throw down, an M5S would most likely be the ticket.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
EoTechs do give a wider forward FOV, but other than that, I still feel that they don't have much else really going for them over other optics such as an Aimpoint, so that's what I'd stick with personally.

Aimpoint's Comp M5S has caught my eye recently. Just like with the M4 and M4S, the S model has the battery compartment mounted low on the body of the sight, ( and not partially blocking the forward view. )

If I was in the market for a new RDS and had the cheddar to throw down, an M5S would most likely be the ticket.

Bingo. Nothing beats an M5S for serious, non-magnified use. MRO second. EOTech third. The battery life isn't great, the UI is meh, and the reliability is so so.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Bingo. Nothing beats an M5S for serious, non-magnified use. MRO second. EOTech third. The battery life isn't great, the UI is meh, and the reliability is so so.

I prefer the M5 non-S because it fits standard micro-pattern mounts and my preference is Scalarworks. The AAA battery is great, can buy those just about anywhere too. I use AAA lithiums for longest life. So much simpler than the CR2032 although they are pretty common too now.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that if the sight is going to be used in cold temperatures, AA and AAA batteries should be the lithium type, and they are not available everywhere. I once observed an alkaline AA-equipped EOTech die within minutes in 10° weather.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comp M5

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint for all of my red dot needs. Aside from their reputation of ruggedness and reliability, I have an astigmatism that means the EO Tech reticles look like horrendous starbursts and are unusable to me.

The dot is also less confusing to my wife's eye, though she shoots well and handles both pistols and carbines well, she is shoots less often than either of us would like. So, it also keeps things even simpler for her should she ever need to use a carbine for serious purposes.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I had heard of the issues with Eotech.

I'll stick with Aimpoint.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1520 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post