SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    a kind gift from a gentleman I met once.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a kind gift from a gentleman I met once. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The gentleman above is correct about what the rifle. The only thing he left out was that the gun was given by Britten to Ireland. You can tell by the serial number. Look on the receiver and by the chamber on the right hand side you should see the original serial number lined out, most common, and the new one added with "CR" before it.

It is a good rifle. And pretty darn rare.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vmtz:
The gentleman above is correct about what the rifle. The only thing he left out was that the gun was given by Britten to Ireland. You can tell by the serial number. Look on the receiver and by the chamber on the right hand side you should see the original serial number lined out, most common, and the new one added with "CR" before it.

That info hadn't been left out. It's in the final paragraph of my initial post, below the photo of the volley sights in use... Wink

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Just take good care of it and if someone in the family ever expresses interest, consider returning it. Otherwise, cherish the gift and the fact that the man thought enough of you to let you have it.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
The gentleman who gave me his shotgun? He wanted ME to have it. He was very specific about that.
He had sons and granddsons but he wanted me to have his shotgun.

The guy who gave you that rifle? He wanted YOU to have it. He could chosen anyone else in his family but he chose you. Honor his choice as he apparently saw more character in you than anyone else around him.

It is a beautiful rifle. Take good care of it.

This, right here.

A man facing his last days decided that rifle belonged in your care. Honor an old man's dying wish, will ya?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by vmtz:

That info hadn't been left out. It's in the final paragraph of my initial post, below the photo of the volley sights in use... Wink

LOL! Sorry.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
The gentleman who gave me his shotgun? He wanted ME to have it. He was very specific about that.
He had sons and granddsons but he wanted me to have his shotgun.

The guy who gave you that rifle? He wanted YOU to have it. He could chosen anyone else in his family but he chose you. Honor his choice as he apparently saw more character in you than anyone else around him.

It is a beautiful rifle. Take good care of it.

This, right here.

A man facing his last days decided that rifle belonged in your care. Honor an old man's dying wish, will ya?

I concur. I’ve given away a few guns to younger people who impressed me, when I had “family” I could have given them to. I had good reasons for picking someone other than family.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I know nothing of old rifles or how to take care of them.

Take care of just as you would a modern rifle. I'd make sure the bore was clean, then give it and the outside metal a wipe down with an oily rag. You shouldn't need to do anything to the wood.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Probably the best bolt action battle rifle.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Probably the best bolt action battle rifle.

Great battle rifles, to be sure, but I prefer the No. 4 over the No. 1.

Same slick and fast Lee-Enfield action and 10 round magazine capacity, but with superior peep sights.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The previous owner wanted y-o-u to become the custodian of his Enfield. Why don't you honor his wishes?

Yes these old milsurps often have quite a story to tell. You might think of them as "history writ in steel"!

I have an Enfield that started life as a long Magazine Lee-Medford Mk II. It's additionally marked VR (Victoria Regina), 1893, B.S.A.&M. Co. on the RH side of the Butt Socket.

It was converted to a SMLE. The LH side of the Butt Socket is marked: SPARKBROOK, 1904, Sht L.E., Cond. II. Sparkbrook converted 16,763 such rifles beginning in January of 1903.

This Enfield was again converted to a .22 trainer during WWI. The lower RH side of the Butt Socket is additionally marked: A.G. Parker & Co. LTD, Birmingham, .22 Patt, '14. Only 427 of the SMLE Mks II Cd and II* Cd were modified to the .22 Sht Rifle Patt '14 No. 1.

Don't know how many survive -- but this is a pretty scarce variation. This rifle also bears the D^D marking signifying 1920's thru 1960's Australian Defense department ownership. I acquired this rifle during the late 1980's(?) when Australia sold off all her Enfields.

Any way, enjoy your "new" rifle!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Canadian DNR we’re still using those in the western provinces back in the early 90’s.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Enfield fan.
That particular model is my favorite mil-surp shooter.
I've gotten rid of several models over the years.
I kept a #1 MK3 for the sheer enjoyment of shooting it.
Enjoy!

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
take the info that Rogue typed, and head over to Gunboards,
the Lee Enfield section has a sticky with some great info on Irish guns by a fellow named Fritz (not the same fritz here)

there are other articles and stickies there that will help decipher all the other marks on the firearm

also,

take a shop rag, some oil, and give the metal a good rubbing, just to clean it up a bit,

check the
Receiver
barrel
nose cap
under the rear sight
forearm (near the nose cap usually)
bolt,
and sometimes the magazine (not always) to see if it is all matching,
line outs , by the way, are not considered 'Force Matched' on Enfields,

nice rifle, enjoy it as the Gentleman intended

to add, check for import marks, that will give you a general idea of when it was imported, if not a bring back

that info is also available on GB

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post