SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Popped Primers and Failure to Eject on a AR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Popped Primers and Failure to Eject on a AR Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I've ran this upper before. It's pretty dirty. Other than that no issues with headspace, or firing pin issues. All I did was slap a scope and a suppressor mount on it.

I was running on a different lower though. The one I slapped it on has a heavier buffer in it. Could that be the culprit? That lower has a Spikes T2 buffer in it.

Issues I was having was poped primers and some failure to eject. Had to mortar the rifle a couple of times. Primers were getting into the action and jamming it up a bit.

Outside use the original lower/buffer I had on the rifle. Switch out the BCG?

Ammo was AE .223 55gn brass case.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
popped primers tells me hot ammo.

If it functioned properly before I see no reason to switch out the BCG. Overly hot ammo could be trying to unlock early and may cause extraction issues.

Give the chamber and bore a good cleaning and proceed with caution. If you have a lot of build up on the chamber, that could cause some of the problems you are seeing.

Buffer has nothing to do with popping primers.

You said you installed a suppressor mount, did you also attach a suppressor? That will increase back pressure and may impact how a rifle a functions.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Definitely try different ammo.

I've seen popped primers on seriously over-gassed rifle, but it wasn't an AR15.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
popped primers tells me hot ammo.

If it functioned properly before I see no reason to switch out the BCG. Overly hot ammo could be trying to unlock early and may cause extraction issues.

Give the chamber and bore a good cleaning and proceed with caution. If you have a lot of build up on the chamber, that could cause some of the problems you are seeing.

Buffer has nothing to do with popping primers.

You said you installed a suppressor mount, did you also attach a suppressor? That will increase back pressure and may impact how a rifle a functions.

I did put a suppressor on it. When it was running it was putting the shells in a nice neat pile @ 4 o'clock. Only a few feet away. It didn't seem like it was running too hot.

I've ran a bunch of steel and brass ammo through it with virtually no cleaning. Then just grabbed it out the safe. Sprayed some oil on the BCG and took it out. I think a good chamber cleaning is what it really needs.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've ran a bunch of steel and brass ammo through it with virtually no cleaning. Then just grabbed it out the safe. Sprayed some oil on the BCG and took it out. I think a good chamber cleaning is what it really needs.

Steel cased ammo is notorious for leaving a buildup of carbon in the chamber. Tight chamber from carbon buildup -- too much pressure -- popped primers.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped primers are a high pressure sign.

What's the make/model/spec on the Upper/Barrel/bolt?

Is this a new batch/lot of ammo? It's possible you have a hot batch as was suggested above.

Before you shoot anything else through it , you need to do a good visual inspection, clean the chamber, bore and bolt and follow on inspection. It's possible that lacquer or coating from the steel case ammo built up in the chamber or carbon as fritz mentioned. If everything looks good after you inspect it, I would recommend trying different ammo and see if you have the same issue.

When was the last time you checked the headspace on the rifle?

What suppressor mount did you install? Is it possible that when you torqued the mount on, that you changed where the barrel sits in the barrel extension? I doubt this is the case and I could be completely wrong.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

Is this a new batch/lot of ammo? It's possible you have a hot batch as was suggested above.

Before you shoot anything else through it , you need to do a good visual inspection, clean the chamber, bore and bolt and follow on inspection. It's possible that lacquer or coating from the steel case ammo built up in the chamber or carbon as fritz mentioned. If everything looks good after you inspect it, I would recommend trying different ammo and see if you have the same issue.

What suppressor mount did you install? Is it possible that when you torqued the mount on, that you changed where the barrel sits in the barrel extension? I doubt this is the case and I could be completely wrong.

It's a PSA .223 Wylde CHF-CL barrel. PSA Upper and PSA NiB BCG. Rifle probably has 500-700 through it. Never really been cleaned. It's just been a rifle that sat in the back of the safe.

New AE bulk 55gn .223 ammo.

I'll check/inspect the head-space again and clean up the carbon. I'm pretty sure carbon or lacquer build up is the issue.

Suppressor mount was just a Griffin Min Taper mount. Barrel still sits tight in the upper. So no issues here.

I'll drag it back out and give it a good cleaning. Try again with some different ammo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's a PSA .223 Wylde CHF-CL barrel. PSA Upper and PSA NiB BCG. Rifle probably has 500-700 through it. Never really been cleaned. It's just been a rifle that sat in the back of the safe.

New AE bulk 55gn .223 ammo.

I'll check/inspect the head-space again and clean up the carbon. I'm pretty sure carbon or lacquer build up is the issue.

Suppressor mount was just a Griffin Min Taper mount. Barrel still sits tight in the upper. So no issues here.

I'll drag it back out and give it a good cleaning. Try again with some different ammo.

Hmm, interesting.

Cleaning, inspecting and different ammo seem to be the way to go.

The Wydle chamber should be good to go with that round. I was concerned if it was 5.56mm ammo mismarked as .223 in a tight .223 chamber but the Wylde chamber is designed to handle 5.56mm. What is the head stamp, is it AE or LC?

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might have missed it but when you say "failure to eject," does that mean the case stayed in the chamber hand the extractor jumped over the rim?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I might have missed it but when you say "failure to eject," does that mean the case stayed in the chamber hand the extractor jumped over the rim?

Not even. Like just locked up in the chamber. To eject spent shell had to mortar the gun. Didn't try to double feed so I can only assume the BCG didn't move at all.

Like I said I've shot this upper a lot. Just slapped a optic, suppressor and different lower on it.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Wydle chamber should be good to go with that round. I was concerned if it was 5.56mm ammo mismarked as .223 in a tight .223 chamber but the Wylde chamber is designed to handle 5.56mm. What is the head stamp, is it AE or LC?

MMmm... I'll have to check it and see when I get home.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not even. Like just locked up in the chamber. To eject spent shell had to mortar the gun. Didn't try to double feed so I can only assume the BCG didn't move at all.

Like I said I've shot this upper a lot. Just slapped a optic, suppressor and different lower on it.

Ok. This is very important information and why I was asking.

You said the difference between the lowers is the buffer weight.

Let me tell you that when the rifle is overgased and the shell refuses to come out, it will get its rim ripped off as that BCG is going back. Here I'm thinking the buffer is too heavy and you have a timing issue.

I would clean the rifle and use a lighter buffer.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good catch, I read the symptoms and my brain filled in failure to extract.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I mistyped the .223 would be stamped with and FC (federal cartridge), the LC (Lake City) would be indicative of 5.56mm brass.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I mistyped the .223 would be stamped with and FC (federal cartridge), the LC (Lake City) would be indicative of 5.56mm brass.

Remembered I actually had a case I grabbed off ground. It's a FC marked head stamp. Here's a photo for you guys to diagnose.

posted Hide Post
Now that's interesting. It looks like it had a crimped primer pocket, which you don't usually see on the .223 ammo. Also, is the semi-circle around the F present on the unfired rounds? I'm wondering if that's another pressure sign or a marking from manufacturing.

you definitely need to test other ammo.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that some Federal AE223 (223 Remington) ammunition was loaded in cases marked with military-style headstamps and sometimes has crimped-in primers. The photo is of an AE223 case that was from a lot that gave one shooter problems. No crimped primer in this instance, but the headstamp is not typical for commercial ammunition.

(As is obvious the case rim was ripped off by the extractor and the case was left in the chamber. I know that it was AE223 ammunition because that’s all I’ve issued on a regular basis for a long time, but I had to give the shooter some M193 5.56mm ammunition for him to finish the training.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I had that exact issue and symptom on an M4gery I built. Diagnosis: chamber was just a hair too tight.

Chamber reamed, no issues following.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that's interesting. It looks like it had a crimped primer pocket, which you don't usually see on the .223 ammo. Also, is the semi-circle around the F present on the unfired rounds? I'm wondering if that's another pressure sign or a marking from manufacturing.

you definitely need to test other ammo.

That semi-circle is brass extrusion into the ejector hole.

Too hot ammo or your chamber is really dirty and causing higher pressure. More likely the former.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok. This is very important information and why I was asking.

You said the difference between the lowers is the buffer weight.

Let me tell you that when the rifle is overgased and the shell refuses to come out, it will get its rim ripped off as that BCG is going back. Here I'm thinking the buffer is too heavy and you have a timing issue.

I would clean the rifle and use a lighter buffer.

Adding a suppressor to the equation usually will cause a need for a heavier buffer, not lighter.

I'm thinking we have an ammo problem here.