SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    you are all such great enablers,10/22 scope issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

you are all such great enablers,10/22 scope issue Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Fritz,

I get what you are saying. I did not have a way to measure the front and rear of the mount to besure of propper paralell alingment. The pepr mount might be what is causing the issue. It would not surprise me if the mount or brownells rail has a built in 20moa rise.

I have several ther sets of rings on the way. I looked on brownells website, the add for the railed reciever is different then when i purchased. Iirc, there was an option for 0 moa, and 20moa. I thought i clicked 0. They did not send the recievers for 4 weeks. The ad changed in that time. One of the two things is causing the issue. Of the 3 sets of rings on the way, one has the ability to add some -moa to the scope.

I appriciate the help.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Ok, everyone will probably think this idea is goofy, but I'll throw it out there ... Turn your mount around and of course re-mount the scope the right way, see if your problem turns around too.

Just a thought before you go spending money on a different mount or rings, I suspect if it's not "built-in" MOA, it's your mount.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swapped the burris pepr out, it was angled up a tad. I put in the burris rings with the spacers. O started with 0 at the rear ans -20 on the front. It has been shooting just wonderfully since. I have a new scope that should be here tuesday. It is an athlon 6-24. If i dont like it, i will just put a weaver t-36 on it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Swapped the burris pepr out, it was angled up a tad.

That's what I suspected. Time to place a call to Burris, or whomever you purchased it from.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Swapped the burris pepr out, it was angled up a tad.

That's what I suspected. Time to place a call to Burris, or whomever you purchased it from.

I am almost positive it is actually the brownells 10/22 reciever. The new burris rings sorted it all out. It has been pretty windy, but i did get some excelent goups out of it today.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am almost positive it is actually the brownells 10/22 reciever.

If true, you have a bigger problem -- the receiver isn't right.

Since it took a 20 MOA set of rings to get you on target, you may have an upwards cant of 40-50 MOA on the receiver. Two things now occur. First, if you want to shoot at longer distances (say 100-150 yards), you probably won't have elevation dialing capabilities to do so. Your elevation turret will just bottom out at some point and you'll be holding over.

Second, you won't be looking through the center of your optic, even at your zero distance. Optic quality deteriorates as you approach the limits of elevation dialing.

Now you may not be concerned with either of these issues, but I am with my rifles. If one of my receivers wasn't flat to the bore, it would be back in the manufacturer's hands.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
I am almost positive it is actually the brownells 10/22 reciever.

If true, you have a bigger problem -- the receiver isn't right.

Since it took a 20 MOA set of rings to get you on target, you may have an upwards cant of 40-50 MOA on the receiver. Two things now occur. First, if you want to shoot at longer distances (say 100-150 yards), you probably won't have elevation dialing capabilities to do so. Your elevation turret will just bottom out at some point and you'll be holding over.

Second, you won't be looking through the center of your optic, even at your zero distance. Optic quality deteriorates as you approach the limits of elevation dialing.

Now you may not be concerned with either of these issues, but I am with my rifles. If one of my receivers wasn't flat to the bore, it would be back in the manufacturer's hands.

My point was that i belive the brownells reciever is a 20moa reciever. There was an option when i purchased the 4 railed recievers for 0 moa or 20moa. I qm almost positive i clicked 0. Now the parts number now just says railed. I had issues with brownells not shipping for 4 weeks. My guess is that the order was filled with what they had. 20moa recievers.

I will check the clicks when i swap out the scope for the new one in a few days. I am betting it is almost even.

posted Hide Post
Well now that i got the scope(s) on target and have put a few thousand rounds down the pipe. I wanted to address a bit of teeter/totter in this bell and carlson stock. It has just enough movement to drive me nuts. maybe a 32nd or so. This is the first time I have ever tried to bed a stock.

So here we go.

The brownells receiver has a half moon shape cut out of the bottom rear. I ended up packing it up with bedding material. This should help it mesh with the other relived area in the stock.

Now for it to cure. I will pull it in 6 hours or so, clear out the putty and torque it down. We will see if this will solve the teeter issue.

I used furniture paste wax for the release agent. That is what is on the top of the rail.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
What did you use? devcon? I still need to try it but it always makes me nervous.

I just grabbed a NOS Talo baskeweave 10/22 International, just because I wanted the stock. Dumb, I know but its so cool. I rarely shoot my 22's anymore.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
<SNIP>
I just grabbed a NOS Talo baskeweave 10/22 International just because I wanted the stock. Dumb, I know but its so cool. I rarely shoot my 22's anymore.

That happens to me when I have money laying around that isn't already spoken for ...

posted Hide Post
quote:
What did you use? devcon? I still need to try it but it always makes me nervous.

I just grabbed a NOS Talo baskeweave 10/22 International, just because I wanted the stock. Dumb, I know but its so cool. I rarely shoot my 22's anymore.

no this is JB weld. I am going to order some of the devcon 10110 steel putty for my pre 68 international.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic...062&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I mixed the JB weld by weight. It had been in the receiver for quite a while. Almost 10 hours. When I pulled it out, it was only 2/3rds set up. So, I cleaned the reciever and barrel off. I will let the stock harden and clean it up again. Then Use the Devcon putty linked above. I was hesitant about using the jbweld. It seems to be really hit or miss.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
<SNIP>
I just grabbed a NOS Talo baskeweave 10/22 International just because I wanted the stock. Dumb, I know but its so cool. I rarely shoot my 22's anymore.

That happens to me when I have money laying around that isn't already spoken for ...

:fistbump:

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulled all the gunk out, It finally hardened, a little over 24 hours later. I double checked the instructions, I mixed it properly. Maybe since I used old tubes it just did not activate in the original time schedule.

Anywho. got it all cleaned up an took a few new photos. The Devcon putty version should be here soon. I will use it over the jb weld.

I added a few more mechanical locks for the rear receiver base. I also added a significant undercut for a larger mechanical lock at the rear of the receiver.

Nexed I cleaned up the two areas up front. I am going to add some to the pillar area to get it seated well. Then a bit to the front area that will support the bull barrel.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
<SNIP>

:fistbump:

I couldn't find a fistbump, but I'll do you one better Smile

posted Hide Post
Finally got it all back together and shooting. There is a marked improvement when shooting basic bulk 22lr ammo. From 1.5 inches at 66yds to just under an inch per 10 shots with a few fliers making the large diameter. That may seem large, I was shooting in the drizzle and rain. I will try a bit more specialized standard velocity ammo.

I will say that the devcon stiffened the snot out of this. There is no flex in the action area. It slides in and out with almost a suction effect. The downside is none of my mags like the fact i did this. They were tight to get in there before, but now, with no flex to the stock they do not like going in and out. Keep in mind there is no devcon in the mag well area, I filed for quite a while today to give the mags some relief. Prior to the devcon, I could not take the 10 rounders out by hand. I had to use a tongue depressor to pop them out. Filing out the mag well was next on my list after I had finished the bedding. I filed on the area a bit today, they go in a little easier, but man is they tight. I don't really want to take a dremmel to it, but it really is that much more tight than before.

posted Hide Post
I took a couple of snapped pictures. I did not have time to shoot it for different types of ammo.

Hopefully, I will have time to get some detailed targets for you all