SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    224 Valkyrie upper?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
224 Valkyrie upper? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of TAP
posted
Thinking of building up a 224 range gun.
I have a RRA with a match trigger that I don't shoot anymore. So, that would be the base of the build.
Recommendations on a 224 upper? Palmetto and Stag both make them. Any other suggestions?
I would want a complete upper to start with and will modify from there.
Thanks
 
Posts: 800 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms had an upper on sale this week.
 
Posts: 1662 | Location: Escaped Upstate NY for Texas | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
What is the benefit of a 224 Valkyrie over a 223?


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 4620 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
75 to 90 grain bullets and the case capacity of the 6.8 SPC. I haven't heard anything more specific than that; so far all the people who've shot it to any degree seem to be looking for a long-distance paper puncher.
 
Posts: 21793 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
So it's actually bigger in diameter than the 223? Last I recall, 223 bullets are actually 224?

Or is the difference in the case design?

Sorry but I haven't seen the 2 cartridges side by side


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 4620 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, it's a .224". Basically they shortened the case and neck on brass used for the 6.8 SPC so that the longer .224" bullet wouldn't intrude into the powder space of the case but the loaded round would be short enough to load into and cycle through a mag that would fit into an AR15 magwell. They started with the wider case of the 6.8 SPC (28 rounds fit in Valkyrie mags that are the size of 5.56 30-round mags) so that there's more gunpowder in a larger boiler room behind the bullet.

FWIW, someone on another site pointed out that it's basically a super-sized 5.45x39. It's not a tapered case, but the more I think about it, the more true that seems to me.
 
Posts: 21793 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I got my Google fu going and found quite a bit of info, and this pic which shows the 223 Remington, 22 Nosler and the 224 Valkyrie



If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 4620 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
Recommendations on a 224 upper?

I have been watching sites that discuss the valkyrie on and off since the cartridge came out. IMO it hasn't been a instant success story. Some folks have great accuracy from the get go, others not so much. Analysis is ongoing, but common questions include:
- There may have been a problem with some of the early batches of Federal 90 grain ammo. Possibly a bullet issue.
- The 7 twist barrels may, or may not, adequately stabilize the 90 grain SMK bullets. Some 6.5 twist barrels are now showing up.
- There may have been some chamber dimension issues. Possibly from bad reamers, possibly from not using the reamers properly.

I'm beginning to think it's still a little early to jump in. I'm waiting for Frank Galli's public feedback on the Valkyrie upper he recently received.

Hornady recently announced a Valkyrie load using ELD-M bullets.
 
Posts: 5414 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
Recommendations on a 224 upper?

I have been watching sites that discuss the valkyrie on and off since the cartridge came out. IMO it hasn't been a instant success story. Some folks have great accuracy from the get go, others not so much. Analysis is ongoing, but common questions include:
- There may have been a problem with some of the early batches of Federal 90 grain ammo. Possibly a bullet issue.
- The 7 twist barrels may, or may not, adequately stabilize the 90 grain SMK bullets. Some 6.5 twist barrels are now showing up.
- There may have been some chamber dimension issues. Possibly from bad reamers, possibly from not using the reamers properly.

I'm beginning to think it's still a little early to jump in. I'm waiting for Frank Galli's public feedback on the Valkyrie upper he recently received.

Hornady recently announced a Valkyrie load using ELD-M bullets.


+1 to that post. I've read PTG screwed up the reamer making the freebore longer than SAAMI specs. If planning on shooting factory ammo, go with a barrel that wasn't reamed by a PTG reamer. Growing pains for this caliber for sure.
 
Posts: 545 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
From what I have gleaned it sounds like the 90gr SMK doesn't like to jump.

Some barrels had more freebore than was optimal and accuracy was lackluster with those barrels.


If you want a small frame AR that will legitimately get you to 1000 yards it looks like the 224V will do it.


If you are really seeking accuracy I would lean towards someone like JP or Krieger, and make sure you do your homework to make sure you understand what bullet you need and how all the considerations with reamers and twist rate have been worked out.

If you don't shoot beyond 600 yards and you are just shooting paper and steel just save some money and get a 223.

But if you need to legs to get beyond 800 yards it is an option.
 
Posts: 13119 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I've got a barrel for a future build that was reamed with a PTG reamer. The longer freebore will require me to use a windowed mag to load long and have less of a jump with those bullets. I'm sure I'll find some loads that work for my barrel at 2.295 OAL. Just need to find the time to build it and start testing it.
 
Posts: 545 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great replies.
Going to hold off a bit and see how the 1:7 versus 1:6.5 barrel twist debate turns out.
My interest in this round is the distance and wind drift resistance compared to the 5.56
 
Posts: 800 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
Thanks for all the great replies.
Going to hold off a bit and see how the 1:7 versus 1:6.5 barrel twist debate turns out.
My interest in this round is the distance and wind drift resistance compared to the 5.56


AFAIK there isn't much of a debate. 90gr shooters have been using the 1:6.5 barrels for some time now.


_____________________________
'I'm pretty fly for a white guy'.

 
Posts: 5852 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good article



https://www.americanrifleman.o...de-the-224-valkyrie/

Prior to the 2018 Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, Federal Premium captured the attention of the media and consumers alike with releases about its new cartridge, the .224 Valkyrie. Billed as “the new choice for both long-range target shooters and hunters,” and described as “an all-new cartridge that transforms the MSR15 platform, unleashes shooters’ long-range potential and shatters the boundaries of ballistic performance,” the cartridge appeared poised to end the search for the elusive ballistic solution. Does it live up to its hype?


_____________________


 
Posts: 9599 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Good article



https://www.americanrifleman.o...de-the-224-valkyrie/

Prior to the 2018 Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, Federal Premium captured the attention of the media and consumers alike with releases about its new cartridge, the .224 Valkyrie. Billed as “the new choice for both long-range target shooters and hunters,” and described as “an all-new cartridge that transforms the MSR15 platform, unleashes shooters’ long-range potential and shatters the boundaries of ballistic performance,” the cartridge appeared poised to end the search for the elusive ballistic solution. Does it live up to its hype?


Thanks for the link.
 
Posts: 800 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    224 Valkyrie upper?

© SIGforum 2018