SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Binary Triggers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binary Triggers? Login/Join 
Picture of PowerBook
posted
I am in need of another education from the SigForum Experts.

They look like they would be fun from time to time. Are they worth the $400?

There are several companies that produce them.

Who is good and who is not.

Thanks!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Franklin Armory Binary Triggers in Ruger 10/22's. They are fun to play with, built well, and .22LR is cheap (well not now, but cheaper than centerfire). I really like the ambi selector switch since it fixes the issue of being left handed with a cross bolt safety. I haven't perfected the FA imitation, mostly just shoot doubles and an occasional quad, mostly because I don't want the attention at an indoor range, and the outdoor range closest to me does not allow "rapid fire". You are supposed to wait 3 seconds between shots because the people that built houses nearby complain about "safety" even though the range was there first.

I would consider adding one to my Scorpion because it fits the sub-gun design basis well and anything else HAS to be better than the terrible stock trigger. MPX's kill trigger groups so unless there was a specific MPX version I wouldn't beat a binary to death in one. HK SP5 is a possibility but figuring out what trigger groups work in the SP5's semi-shelf lower is something I haven't dug enough into yet. Plus it costs more because it fits an HK just like Geissele charges $450 for the 416/417 versions of his triggers instead of $240. The HK tax on things that are otherwise identical to the AR version does get really annoying.

For centerfire rifles, I probably would not because of ammo cost and having no place to shoot it.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Franklin triggers too. 9mm and 556 SBRs, they are FUN and no problems yet. Everyone that shoots them has a big smile after.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had some friends with the Fostech echo triggers, I’m pretty sure they were all together in a terrible boating accident and have since lost them, but they were fun to play with. With Ammo costs nowadays not sure you’d want to afford shooting them, but still fun

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I put one on my SP5 to help get by the 922 requirement on the SBR. Its fun to play but mostly just keep the gun on single fire.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Fun for making smoke and noise, and as a middle finger to the NFA.

Little to no practical application.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I put one on my SP5 to help get by the 922 requirement on the SBR. Its fun to play but mostly just keep the gun on single fire.

Is it just a drop-in or do you need to modify the lower?

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a rare eagle

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Little to no practical application.

Bingo

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

Is it just a drop-in or do you need to modify the lower?

No mods at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3AqzzRkUHA

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have 2 BFAIII's in AR15s. I like them as (previously mentioned) fingers to the ATF and the giggle factor.

Mine work well with my 22lr upper and conversion bolt, but work best with the full .223/5.56 rounds.

Have really thought hard about getting one for my mp5 clone, but 600 bucks is a bit much, considering I got my AR triggers for closer to 200.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three. One in a AR15 9mm pistol, one in a AR15 5.56 rifle and one in Ruger 10/22. They work reasonably well. One thing to take note of is that the BFS will not work in an older cast metal 10/22 trigger housing. You need one of the newer polymer ones.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
I have three. One in a AR15 9mm pistol, one in a AR15 5.56 rifle and one in Ruger 10/22. They work reasonably well. One thing to take note of is that the BFS will not work in an older cast metal 10/22 trigger housing. You need one of the newer polymer ones.

Yeah, nobody told me this. I spent a whole day trying to make it work in my three older 10-22s and finally said eff it and went and got a takedown charger. Install was quick having already done it about six times and it’s now my daughter’s favorite plinker.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one in my HK SP5K and didn’t like it at all. I wound up selling mine. It just didn’t seem particularly useful to me and I subsequently picked up a F/A sear so it never got used.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Franklins work fine in an AR and .22lr conversions. .22lr is tons of fun. 9mm blowback AR can be tricky to get running, heavier buffer and recoil spring. They drop into the MPX as well, though apparently the MPX will chew it up eventually. They take a little bit of time to get used to as you can outrun them, but everyone I've let run them figures it out after a couple mags.

I have one of the cheaper Fostechs and while it works, the thing looks and pulls like it was made in a back yard shed and isn't compatible with a lot of bolt carriers. The Fostechs do have the advantage us not being able to outrun them due to the design, but it's the same feature that reduces bcg compatibility.

I like them just fine and they are enjoyable to shoot. Same trigger being compatible with most AR variants makes it easier to swallow cost-wise.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I got a Fostech Echo II Sport trigger just for the hell of it. It's fun and an ammo waster for sure. https://imgur.com/qpMYbPR

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Fostecs they work great in both my AR's. I did play with the multiple shooting, but prefer the double-tap better. More control. I was thinking of selling one of them as I don't shoot the second one at all. I did add the matching selector switches that look like the original mil spec selectors.

Posts: 50 | Location: Bluffton, SC | Registered: March 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
They are great for making your wallet lighter.

Get a very high quality single stage trigger and send every round exactly like you intend to.

There are much, much better places to spend $400 on firearm accessories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYTdsc3FUQ

Shooting a short range rifle stage at RockCastle a few years ago. Single stage JP trigger. Watching the dot in my optic as I break the shot. If I felt like the shot might not have been good, I break another shot. I don't see how a binary trigger could have helped me shoot this stage any faster.

A binary trigger requires you to hold the trigger pinned to the rear to keep from firing another shot. How is that safe if you do not need another shot and you need to move positions? So now you are required to engage the safety, while holding the trigger pinned to the rear, in order to be able to release the trigger without firing another shot. How is that faster?

IMHO binary triggers are a borderline unsafe gimmick designed for people who want to stand in one place and dump a lot of rounds at a single target, perhaps a little faster than they can normally just simply pull a trigger themselves.

I'm open to have my mind changed.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If someone is actually seeking advice:

quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
There are much, much better places to spend $400 on firearm accessories.

Even if it’s only 200-400 rounds of ammunition at today’s prices.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Franklin Armory tag line should be...you will be smiling ear to ear after or your money back...

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post