SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought an SKS today with an interesting story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an SKS today with an interesting story Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I’ve wanted an SKS for a while and stupidly never bought one of the cheaper imports over the last few years. A couple days ago I stopped by a LGS and found one but the price was too high for me. After sleeping on it, and realizing that in today’s gun economy and with future imports uncertain, maybe the price wasn’t too bad. I went back today and found that part of the reason for the price was that this wasn’t one of the recent imports, but instead was a Vietnam war bring back that was on consignment. I negotiated a slightly lower price (probably because I bought a Kimber K6S at the same time) and walked out with the rifle, an old photo of a bunker, and a phone number for the guy who brought it home.

I called him and had a wonderful conversation with an Army veteran who told me how he acquired the rifle. He was thrilled to find out that I am also a veteran and gun lover and I promised him that the rifle was going to a loving home and would be passed down to my son. We agreed to meet for coffee sometime and I told him that if he ever wanted to shoot the gun he can call me.

It’s strange how these inanimate objects can unite and divide us all at the same time. There are many gun owners who are total assholes, but I find the gun community as a whole to be some of the greatest, most genuine people in the world. I’m proud to be a part of this community.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Very cool post and great story! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Ask him if he has any bringback paperwork.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
[WOODERSON]It'd be cooler if he didn't.[/WOODERSON]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Il Cattivo,

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
[SPICOLI]It'd be cooler if he didn't.[/SPICOLI]

But it'd be more valuable if he did.

Otherwise, to a collector down the road, it's just another used Chinese SKS with a possible but unverified backstory, and would be valued alongside the other slew of well-used Chinese SKSs out there. Collectors live by "Buy the gun, not the story", and the story's only believable if it's documented.

(And I think you're confusing Matthew McConaughey as Wooderson in "Dazed and Confused" with Sean Penn as Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Big Grin)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yes he has the paperwork. I’m not in a hurry to get it but I’ll pick it up eventually.
And yeah, buy the gun and not the story. When I asked to see the gun again the guy in the shop said “There’s a cool story that goes along with that”, to which I replied “I don’t pay for cool stories”.

The resale value is of little concern to me though as I don’t sell guns. I was just sharing a cool story that happened to come along with a gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
The resale value is of little concern to me though as I don’t sell guns.

But your heir(s) might thank you down the road, if they can sell that SKS for $5000 instead of $500, thanks to the bringback papers that accompany it.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy I will describe as an acquaintance had a VN bring back SKS. He let me shoot it a few times.
Then he got drunk and used the SKS to shoot at a police helicopter. From his own backyard.
Long prison sentence afterward and his SKS was confiscated.
Theres a cool SKS story! Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I assume it is a factory /26\ gun?
What year was it made?
I have heard a lot of stories about bring backs, without papers, it is just a story to collectors.
I have a lot of SKS's, even one with no import marks, and a story, even has a chunk of shrapnel embedded in the stock.
Worth very little over any other Chinese SKS.
Some dealers/shops even chopped stocks down on guns with no import marks, to call them "Duffel Bag" bring backs.
Even if you don't need the papers, good to have to add the value to your insurance, if you insure your guns.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice, I respect that you choose not to share the story.

Congrats, Looks great.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post