SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope recommendations for 17HMR or 22 LR Bolt Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations for 17HMR or 22 LR Bolt Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted
Looking for a moderately priced scope for a 17 HMR and/or 22LR bolt action rifle. To be used for paper and critters. Suggestions on power as well as brand would be appreciated. I realize there are many variables (no pun intended) regarding cost/power/use etc., just looking for suggestions from the experts!

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My goto's are the Leupold 4x rimfire, the 3-9 rimfire and the 2-7 rimfire depending on how much money I want in the deal and the use.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I've had a BSA Sweet 17 3-12 x 40 on my Savage 93 for about 12 years. I've never had any problems with it and it has been several years since I last zeroed the scope. The rifle is used almost weekly and I've been very pleased with the performance of the BSA. I believe I paid around $100 for it, but I'm sure they've gone up a bit in the last decade.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 585 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with a Simmons 3-9x32, UTG Bugbuster 3-9x32, Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32, and Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32. My favorite is the Nikon and the Vortex but the Simmons and UTG get the job done.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a 93R17. Straight 10x. Happy with it so far. About $200 on sale.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://swfa.com/burris-2-7x35...2lr-rifle-scope.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a vortex cross fire 2-7 rimfire on my 10/22 and a diamondback 4-12 ao ion my cz. Both are great. Only downside is no additional dots for holdovers.

"Modern medicine exists to defeat Darwinism" - Anonymous 18D

Posts: 711 | Location: Land of Scarlet and Gray | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Mueller AVP.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No budget, no distance, no recommendation.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
No budget, no distance, no recommendation.

+1.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
< $300
50-150 yds

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I would suggest strongly that you get a scope with an adjustable objective or a side focus. One inch tube is fine. I looked at swfa.com for under $350 from Burris, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, Weaver, Bushnell, Redfield and similar and got a bunch. Make sure there is an AO or an SF and they will all work fine for you. When you narrow down to magnification range and brand, we can talk furter.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
OMG, there are a ba-jillion scopes in the < $300 range, and within a given brand there are a ton.

Is it wise to go with one designated as a rimfire scope? I'm thinking 3-9 variable; Nikon, Leupold or Vortex?

posted Hide Post
You're so funny. You don't want to look through all those, you just wanted us to do that for you. :big_grin:

Here's the thing. A rimfire scope is essentially one that is focused at 60 to 75 yards instead of the usual 100-150 yards used by the other scopes.

Since you specified that you were going from 50 to 150, I strongly suggested that you get a scope with an adjustable objective or a side focus. What these things do is they will allow you to focus precisely on your target and thus eliminate parallax, placing you way ahead of the game.

If you had said something like shooting at 100 yards all the time, an AO or SF would not really be required.

I strongly recommend that you go through the riflescope primer thread on this site, to get a quick understanding of the various parts of a riflescope.

I do not have a .17 HMR or anything in that caliber, but I have read that they can be very accurate further out than an .22LR. If you were to pick a .17, I would suggest that you get a riflescope with a top end in the 10s, like 12, 15 or 16. You could have a lot of fun with that combo.

Nikon, Leupold, Burris or Vortex should have something that would work just fine.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excellent. I would suggest strongly that you get a scope with an adjustable objective or a side focus. One inch tube is fine. I looked at swfa.com for under $350 from Burris, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, Weaver, Bushnell, Redfield and similar and got a bunch. Make sure there is an AO or an SF and they will all work fine for you. When you narrow down to magnification range and brand, we can talk furter.

NikonUser: now reading your EXCELLENT post series on scopes! VERY informative...thank you for putting it together!

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
"You're so funny. You don't want to look through all those, you just wanted us to do that for you."

GUILTY I'd say, but moreover, trying not to reinvent the wheel if you will. With all the knowledge on this forum, I thought input from experienced users would be extremely valuable and keep me from being overwhelmed by the choices for my meager needs.

As I said, I just found your tutorial and I am busy studying it!

posted Hide Post
Back to swfa.com and I see a Nikon 3-9X40 ProStaff Target EFR Rimfire with adjustable objective for $187. NIK6734.

A Weaver 6.5-20X44 with adjustable objective for $195. 849550 The 849552 is $200, different reticle.

A Weaver 3-12X44 Kaspa Tactical with a side focus for $225. WEA849781.

A Nikon 3.5-14X40 Prostaff 5 with side focus for $297. NIK6740. NIK6743 has mil-dot reticle.

Weaver has a few more just above $300.

I have 2 Weavers T-36, fixed power scope 36X40. They have adjustable objectives. They served me well shooting F-class years ago. I LOVE the Weaver Micro Trac knobs; they are great for knob twirlers like me.

posted Hide Post
This is what this forum is all about. I'm happy to share my meagre knowledge with anyone who can endure it.

There are lots of knowledgeable people here who will help in refining the parameters and guide you to a good decision.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is what this forum is all about. I'm happy to share my meagre knowledge with anyone who can endure it.

There are lots of knowledgeable people here who will help in refining the parameters and guide you to a good decision.

Thank you sir, and I believe you to be overly modest and humble concerning your expertise and ability to explain in an easy to understand manner. I look forward to reading more of your comments!

posted Hide Post
Depending how how small of groups you wish to shoot in the 100+ range will go a long way towards determining a max power. I'm a Vortex guy and LOVE what my Diamondback HP 3-12x42 does up to 100 yds. It's clear and useful much farther than that and with it sitting on a .223 out to 400+ with appropriate sized big targets at the CMP it works fine. Fine target work...NOPE.

On my .17 HMR I have a similar Vortex Viper and don't like it as much as the HP.

When doing fine target work with my .22, or the .17, I bolt on my Mueller 8-32 target scope. It most certainly isn't something I'd use in the field, but I can read the copyright symbol on the target fineprint.

I fully agree with the AO requirement and that's fairly common in the range you are looking at.

It still comes down to, do you want a general purpose scope, a fast critter scope or "I want to shoot the smallest holes at 50+ yds I can" scope.

Based on what you wrote it sounds like you are looking for a good general purpose scope, I'd suggest something in the max zoom of 9x to 16x. I find a 12x as a nice middle ground.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post