SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope recommendations for 17HMR or 22 LR Bolt Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations for 17HMR or 22 LR Bolt Rifle Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 is on my CZ452 / 17 HMR and I've had it on my CZ452/22LR (which now as a Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42mm MilDot.

I paired them up that way since 17HMR is so much flatter, the Ballistic Plex reticle on the Timberline does just fine, and the MilDot on the 22LR helps making corrections when plinking at clays at 125 yards on the berm.

Both optics have clear glass and nice AOs to get a focused reticle and target.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sc...flescope-4.5-14x42mm

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sc...flescope-4.5-14x32mm

Both are south of $300 retail.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to RHINOWSO's recommendation of a Burris Timberline. I bought the 3-9x version for an air rifle, based on the recommendation of one of the best steel match shooters in the state. I paid $200 for it, shipped. The glass is clear and it has parallax down below 10 yards.

Be wary of thinking that higher power magnification will give you tighter groups. At 50 yards, I find that 12-14 power is about all I can use with a rimfire rifle. Higher magnification than this and I struggle to keep the reticle still.

Furthermore, let's say with the "Hubble" rifle scope you can make out 1/64" of an inch lines on a 50 yard target. OK, can you hold the rifle that still all the way through the firing and recoil cycle? If you can, that means you will actually see the bullet cut a hole in the paper. What if your rifle and ammo are only capable of 3/8" groups at 50 yards?

Higher magnification scopes with quality glass -- expect to pay a lot of money. Keep the max magnification under 15-ish power and your dollars will a lot further. I choose clear glass over high magnification any day.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I could not be happier with my Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4-12

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Black92..... what's that scope mounted on?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Savage.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
Black92..... what's that scope mounted on?

Savage MKII in a Boyd's Pro Varmint Stock.
Heck of a sweet little setup. In that setup for right around $500.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others mention it depends what you want to do with the rifle.

I make a couple of small groups / get a solid zero, then aside from doing a 5 - shot group occasionally at the range, I'm plinking clay pidgeons from 25 - 125, eliminating tree rats, or just having fun. Making small holes repeatedly with a rim fire rifle just isn't fun for me.

Sometimes at the range we put a bunch of clays out on the berm and race to see who can turn them all into small broken pieces first - and they are all fair game - 17 HMR is so much better at that, being a fast, flat trajectory compared 22. Plus 1 hit normally destroys a clay, but with 22 sometimes it just cracks them into a couple pieces, or shoots out the middle, leaving the ring intact.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Ok, so FINALLY, I've made some purchasing decisions! I just picked up a Savage B17 17 HMR Bolt rifle with the 16.5" threaded barrel. I'm going to mount a Vortex Diamondback HD 3-12 x 42 on it and a Specter II Suppressor which I've had for awhile. Many great scope choices but I got a great buy on the Vortex through work so I went with it.

Hope to have everything ready for the range in a week or two. I really appreciate all the input from the forum members here!!

Range report to follow.....

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post