SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ok, now lets discuss braced shortbarrel 9mm pistols.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ok, now lets discuss braced shortbarrel 9mm pistols. Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have a CMMG Colt lower and a PSA Colt style lower with 8” barrels. I’ve had zero issues with ASC mags with FMJ and hollow points in various bullet weights, suppressed and unsurpassed.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking at a braced 9mm pistol as well. I’m having a tough time deciding between the Stribog and a PSA 9mm. Anyone have both and can speak about them?

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys, if I can swing it am thinking the PSA 8" pistol version. I do not think they do a Colt mag pistol lower though? Which would be my preference over a Glock mag version.

Yes they DO have a Colt style mag lower! I Have one....

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am not seeing one in a pistol version with brace.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am not seeing one in a pistol version with brace.

You’ll need to buy the Colt Classic pistol lower (currently out of stock) and the brace of choice separately. Simple install.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m enjoying my B&T APC9, B&T GHN9, and Grandpower Stribog SP9A1 Gen2 9mm. Take a look at the Stribog and Scorpion if you’re wanting to keep it on the cheap.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Stribog that has been nothing but faultless. I have never been able to find extra mags for it though!

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the Stribog looks interesting. Wondering how good the folding hbi brace is.

I can buy a Foxtrot Mikes pistol with brace for under $800. The braced Stribog will be about that or slightly more from what I am seeing. Leaning towards the AR from FTM

Thoughts?

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I ended up going the FoxTrot Mike route. I must say I am pretty impressed with their equipment. Very nice. High quality hardware. I bought their pistol lower and a separate upper. All for for a total of under $550. That includes the ffl fee for the lower. They offer some complete setup's with a brace. My lower did not come with a brace. As the ones they sold as complete units were not the configuration I wanted. So I will need a brace. They sell one for $30 that has mostly positive reviews but it was out of stock. I may do a wtb add in our classifieds to see if I can locate an affordable brace.
Overall I am really impressed by the quality of these units. Especially for the price. Mine is a Glock mag version.

If you are in the market take a look they also do .556 and .45acp.

Thanks gibby29 for the heads up on them.

I know I said I wanted the Colt mag version. But the Glock is also a great choice for a PCC.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have several 9mm PCC’s. My B&T is my favorite and nicest feeling, but I will take the Scorpions (I have a few) over any of them for reliability. People act like direct blow back is hard recoiling or something. It’s not an issue for me at all. What you gain with direct blowback is insane reliability.

Watch Rob Ski’s 5,000 test of the Scorpion. The gun is a beast. He holds it sideways and pours sand/dirt into the action while shooting it. It shot more rounds than any other gun he tested. It emptied the whole mag without jamming. AK’s don’t even do that in his tests.

As an aside, I can’t stand PCC’s that use Glock mags. They just look stupid imo. Glock 33 round mags were once cheap and easy to get. Now the Scorpion mags makes them expensive and dumb looking. If the Banshee made a version that uses Scorpion mags, I’d have one but I still would favor the Scorpion because I know it’s a tank.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
esd, I am the opposite. I think a 17 rd glock mag is perfect and looks great in the unit. They are reliable and plentiful. From everything I read the AR-9 from FRM is a great unit. I do not plan to pour sand in mine while shooting. Some test's are silly.
While the Scorp is gtg I am sure. It is not without its detractors. I am very happy and see no need to spend twice the price.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's nice there are so many options these days. When I did my first 9MM PCC, it was Colt Pattern or risk on Glock Mags working, as not many companies had done Glock Pattern. So I went Colt Pattern for my 9MM AR, which has been flawless with a YHM Upper I had built, then recently sold for a Colt 10.5" 9MM upper before the Colt craze.

The Scorpion fill my exotic / Euro 9MM PPC itch and while it has some detractors from it's blowback design, I like it a lot well and it's my suppressed PPC host. And it's seen lots of hard use here and with military, so I have no doubt it'll hold up well past what I'll do to it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
The new HK SP5 FTW Baby!!!

Woo Hoo!!

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
The new HK SP5 FTW Baby!!!

Woo Hoo!!

...or for less $$$ a MKE Zenith Z-5P built on HK tooling and has all the push pins.

Posts: 4021 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
Y'all might want to take a look at this. Extar EP9
I have one of these and it shoots great. Best of all its $419. Wink

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA 9 mm PCC. It's great! I purchased a different upper so I can get last round bolt hold open feature. It was a fun project and I use it to host my old YHM Cobra suppressor.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have a Foxtrot Mike Upper in 7 inch that I really like with a great non-reciprocating side charging bolt, but it does get hot at the shooty end with lots of rounds down the barrel so I'd get some panels for heat protection. I use it on an Andstadt Arms lower that I love. I have a 16" PSA upper that I got for PCC that is fun too, but the smaller gets all the range time.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post

Finally got around to installing the HB Industries handguard. While I was at it, I installed a new trigger shoe and hammer spring kit.

Posts: 2008 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I like 9mm carbines and have a few ... just don't ask me what's my favorite child!

Working on a brace for my Steyr SPP but not there yet ... but I did get a adapter for my suppressor.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have one of the CMMG Banshee uppers.

Goes on a standard 5.56 lower.

Has last round bolt hold open.

Uses inexpensive endomags that insert into a PMAG (30 round capacity).

Radially delayed blowback. Omits the super heavy 9mm buffer and direct blowback bolt carrier.

Bolt stays locked up longer so it suppresses much better. (no port pop).

So far I am a big fan. Haven't had a chance to go crazy with round count. When the weather improves myself and my boys are going to wear this sumbitch out.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post