SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What Do You Like for a Bipod
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You Like for a Bipod Login/Join 
posted
I've never used a bipod before, but I'm thinking it will be easier than sandbags as I'm getting more into benchrest shooting.

I want one that attaches to the front sling swivel, and it easy to move from gun to gun. Will only be used from the benchrest, or maybe prone, so it doesn't need to be that long, but I see some extend so that might be interesting too. What is the height that's typical for benchrest shooting?

Seems to be a lot out there for a big range of prices and I'm just wondering if it pays to go for the high end ones.

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Only 2 names Harris or Atlas, will come down to personal preference. I dont do benchrest shooting but I do shoot from a bench 6-12in seems to work for me.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Harris. Look there. And I like the 6-9" for range use.

Atlas is well respected. But pricey.

I would start with Harris and see if you like it.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Atlas here.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I prefer the Atlas bipods for several reasons, none of the models I know of are designed to attach directly to a sling swivel stud without an adapter. The basic Harris models clamp to the stud very securely and are easy to move among different guns. There is some difference in how the Harris and Atlas types react to recoil, and people who are more knowledgeable than I say the Atlas is less prone to bipod hop. Other than (possibly) that, for casual bench use only and with no plans to move to other types of shooting in the future, I believe the Harris models are fine. Even for bench use, though, I strongly recommend notched legs and a head that permits side to side tilting (or “swiveling”).

I don’t make an effort to follow such things, but something I’ve noticed in recent years is that several other manufacturers make bipods that appear to be direct copies of Harris bipods; perhaps a patent expired? They may not offer the same range of models, though, and I know nothing about their quality. They are often cheaper, but “cheaper” may not refer only to price.

As a last comment, I have not found using bipods on a bench to be as accurate or to permit as much flexibility as using a rest designed for the purpose or even a good firm bag. Your experience may differ, of course, and it would be good to see other opinions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I saw a video of a demo from SHOT show with a new bipod from Warne that looks very nice.

Should be around $200.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstan9615a
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Atlas here.

Atlas, "Buy Once, Cry Once". You get what you pay for. No Compromises.

Posts: 61 | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I use the Harris on my 5.56 rifles and Atlas on my .308s. The Atlas just feels more solid on the larger calibers. Both are great bipods and the Harris is quicker to deploy but if buying only one, it would be the Atlas.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Etta James- Atlas, my love has come along.

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's been polled here many times and the Atlas comes out ahead most of the time.
My fav for sure.

Posts: 22897 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
I've never used a bipod before, but I'm thinking it will be easier than sandbags as I'm getting more into benchrest shooting.

I want one that attaches to the front sling swivel, and it easy to move from gun to gun. Will only be used from the benchrest, or maybe prone, so it doesn't need to be that long, but I see some extend so that might be interesting too. What is the height that's typical for benchrest shooting?

Seems to be a lot out there for a big range of prices and I'm just wondering if it pays to go for the high end ones.

Thanks,

Don

Well, if you're getting more into benchrest and you also want to shoot it from prone only, and you don't need to collapse it in a second to move around, you might want to look at bipods that are more for precision. Currently, the F-TR crowd is all about fancy bipods that are only useful from prone or on a bench. The more inexpensive ones are found at Sinclair International, and then they can get crazy expensive at $500 and up.

The Sinclair gen 3 has the benefit of attaching to a sling swivel stud. The other ones would require some type of adapter.

I'm currently using a Seb Joy Pod with a short Picatinny rail inserted in the Freeland/Anschutz rail on the fore end of my rifle.

The neat thing with these lunar lander type bipods is that they have a wide range of elevation adjustment and you don't want to load them but rather let them do their thing. It's a difference with the Harris-type bipod like the Atlas and others.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Atlas is better, but for the money, Harris is more than good and will work great. Check amazon, under 70 shipped.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

I want one that attaches to the front sling swivel, and it easy to move from gun to gun. Will only be used from the benchrest, or maybe prone, so it doesn't need to be that long, but I see some extend so that might be interesting too.

I started with Harris bipods, then transitioned to Atlas over time. Atlas has some free play in the legs, which with proper technique dramatically reduces the tendency for bipod hop.

I have one Harris left, which has been on my 22lr rifle for a number of months. The 22lr is my only rifle with a swivel stud attachment, as all the rest have picatinny rails for Atlas attachment. I recently bought a Weaver attachment which converts swivel studs to a short rail section. Today was my first time shooting the 22lr with an Atlas.

22lr rifles have minimal recoil, but it's still there, even if it's only 1-foot-pound or so. Shooting from slick frozen ground, I was getting a touch of bipod hop with the Harris. I experienced no bipod hop with the Atlas today, and I was able to keep my reticle on target more easily.

The Weaver attachment is probably a bit cheesy, but it worked for me. Atlas all the way for field use.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bobro

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
if money is no object..... Elite Iron. I have one on my LMT (7.62x51). Rotates 360 around the barrel.

Elite Iron

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
if money is no object..... Elite Iron. I have one on my LMT (7.62x51). Rotates 360 around the barrel.

Elite Iron

Oh, yes, I imagine that being very useful for all those times when I want to shoot my rifle upside-down.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints with a GG&G bipod.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Elite Iron

Oh, yes, I imagine that being very useful for all those times when I want to shoot my rifle upside-down.

It should be great in the upcoming Precision Rifle Series' regional championship matches, where the tie breaker stations are rumored to be called "Stop, Drop, and Roll"....

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
quote:
Elite Iron

It should be great in the upcoming Precision Rifle Series' regional championship matches, where the tie breaker stations are rumored to be called "Stop, Drop, and Roll"....

I swear this sport is turning into more about running around and doing bullshit than it is shooting.

Maybe I should just take up F-class. LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
I swear this sport is turning into more about running around and doing bullshit than it is shooting.

Maybe I should just take up F-class. LOL

F-Class? Then I gots da bipod for U --- the Tapco Vertical Grip Bipod. Only $34.99 at Cabela's, and you'll earn points on your Cabela's charge card. Guaran-dam-teed to hold a cricket rifle silly-putty solid.