SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recoil pads that work best
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pads that work best Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
The Weatherby thread made me remember to seek our favorite recoil pad. Since getting old and having shoulder surgery, I just cannot shoot the magnums much any more. My largest is a Model 70 (pre 64, of course) 375HH. Also a pre 70 in 338 Win mag. Even a light weight 3006 is not so fun any more.

I am very used to the Decelerator line as I have put them on several rifles.

Any others that work better. (And look good)

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I can't suggest another, although I have a Limbsaver on my 870, but I just put a decelerator on my 45/70, and it looks (IMHO) much nicer:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I had a Kick-Eez pad put on a light-ish 12ga over-under that had an ancient, broken-down, rock-hard rubber pad on it. It made a huge difference.

Kick-Eez has some "pre-fit" pads that are supposed to be about the right size for various stocks, but they also make "grind to fit" pads that come a bit oversized that you grind down to exactly match your stock (this is what I had done).

They look like a factory black recoil pad rather than a slip-on.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with Decelerator and Kick-Eez -- they both work well.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Since getting old and having shoulder surgery, I just cannot shoot the magnums much any more.
Even a light weight 3006 is not so fun any more.

A recoil pad will help with the initial recoil shock, but it won't radically change the recoil equation. There comes a time in life when we must face reality. It sounds like your days of shooting heavy-recoiling rifles is past. Consider selling the heavy guns and re-investing in something you can use, enjoy, and shoot well down the road.

Maybe a 243 Win or 6 Creedmoor on the higher end, if factory ammo is your preference.
Maybe moderate-capacity 6mm if you reload -- such as 6BR, 6BRA, 6 Dasher.

Maybe a 223 Remy bolt action. I just completed one from components acquired over the last two years. It's an amazing rifle -- minimal recoil, great looks and feel, great accuracy. Even in my hands it exhibits 1/2 MOA accuracy out to 400+ yards. Dinging plates out to 700 yards has been both easy and fun.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a Past recoil pad that I wear on my shoulder. Very effective and I don't have to buy one for each rifle.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I just slip a Limbsaver on whatever I'm shooting. I keep it in my range bag so I'm never without.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Tikka T3 in 270 wears a limb saver - the kind that replaces the stock butt pad. Its been a good, inexpensive upgrade.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
We were just talking about this on a rifle forum I go to.
sorbothane cut to size is what several are using. I'm planning on attaching a cut piece to my 30cal br.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
We were just talking about this on a rifle forum I go to.
sorbothane cut to size is what several are using. I'm planning on attaching a cut piece to my 30cal br.

Kick-Eez pads are sorbothane with a rigid mounting plate backer.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too use the PAST wearable recoil pad. Works for everything.
And if you want to look macho and recoil loving, you can wear it under your shirt!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I used to install a lot of the decelerator pads on rifles for people with issues like you're having (I'm there with you since my shoulder is rebuilt). A better pad helps, but a muzzle brake added makes it perfect. If you don't like the look of a normal brake then go with a vias. I used to turn them down to match the barrel counties and it would look seamless. Then just finish it to match.

Those two things combined and I've yet to run into the hunting rifle round that does me in. I do still prefer small bore rifles though.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slip on Limbsaver makes a huge difference when shooting 12 gauge. The only negative is the increased length of pull.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Limbsaver replacement pad definitely takes the edge off. Tikka lite in 300 mag though still not fun is pretty manageable.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post