SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about rifle scope mount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about rifle scope mount Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I see 0 MOA, 20 MOA, or 30 MOA cant noted on various mounts. How do you determine what degree of the mount's cant to get for your scope? Thanks.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Depends on intended use. I’m sure the Pro’s will be along soon, and this is all elementary to me but I believe it’s a mix of the scopes internal elevation adjustment at your zero running out at distance, and having a mount that makes up the rest when dialing for distance. Find your scopes maximum elevation adjustment, then offset the rest with 20-30° degree cant built into your mount for longer distance shooting. What will you be buying a mount for (rifle, caliber, optic, distance you’re going to zero and shoot for)?

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Scope is Trijicon Accupower 1-8x. Distance will be no more than 100 yards.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Scope is Trijicon Accupower 1-8x. Distance will be no more than 100 yards.

I’d speculate 0° cant is your answer then. I think that scope has somewhere around 90 MOA internal adjustment.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at 100y you don't need any cant.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

At 100 yards, no you don't, 0° will be fine. If you are shooting long range, 800+ yards than yes you could really use it.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To clarify, canted or sloped bases or rings are usually measured in minutes of angle or milliradians, not degrees (°). Typical slopes are 20 MOA or 6 mils (~20.6 MOA). There are 60 minutes in 1 degree, and therefore a 20° slope would be 1200 MOA.

Added:
According to the specs of that scope, it has 100 MOA total adjustment travel. That means 50 MOA up and 50 MOA down. If, for example, you used a +20 MOA base with the sight, you’d have to dial down about that much for close range use. There are disadvantages to dialing a scope’s adjustments to the limits of its range, but dialing down 20 MOA if the limit is 50 would probably not cause any problems. I don’t make recommendations about such things, and you’d probably never need a sloped base, but if you had it and ever needed it, well … you’d have it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Canted mounts at 100 yards are for sissy girls and men that are a little light in the loafers.

If you are attacked by hostile pop cans and dangerous paper targets that have gotten inside the wire, at 100 yards, all you need is some irons and a little attitude.

I wouldn't cant a scope for anything under 300 yards. Your 8x scope isn't going to get you that much farther, anyway.

But that's just me.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I see 0 MOA, 20 MOA, or 30 MOA cant noted on various mounts. How do you determine what degree of the mount's cant to get for your scope?

As noted in above posts, you don't need any cant for your purposes. Some of the primary reasons for canting the base/mounts include:
- The scope has inadequate elevation adjustment for the desired shooting distance.
- The shooter wants to keep the elevation adjustment closer to the center of the scope's elevation range for the desired shooting distances.

If you zero your scope at 100 yards, you will likely use only 2-3 MOA of the scope's elevation range. If you zero at 50 yards, figure 4-6 MOA being used. According to Trijicon's site, you have 100 MOA total elevation range -- 50 MOA up from center and 50 MOA down from center. So using even 6 MOA to zero the scope means you're pretty near the center of the optic.

If your preferred mounts have 10 or 20 MOA built in, and you have a price that you just cannot let slide, then a little cant is no big deal. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend more than 10 MOA of cant, with flat (i.e. no cant) mounts likely the best for your use.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post