SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is the device in the muzzles of these rifles? (Afghan National Army)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the device in the muzzles of these rifles? (Afghan National Army) Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was the XM177 I was referring to.

Back in the mid/late 70's I was at Ft Bragg, and did some training with some USAF zoomies that had 'em. IIRC, I was told that they unscrewed the flash hider, dropped a .223 bullet backwards into the muzzle and locked it in with the flash hider.
Never got to closely examine one to confirm that at the time, but I can say that they had no issue doing full auto mag dumps with blanks, with nothing on the end of the barrel.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the cycling part but it's a training gadget that has been used as long as I can remember .

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I don't know about the cycling part but it's a training gadget that has been used as long as I can remember .

Since the early 1970s, or even a bit earlier. The BFA was adopted in the same time period as the birdcage flashider they were designed to mate with. The birdcage was initially adopted in 1967, and was installed on new production M16A1s and retrofitted onto older M16s by 1968/69.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post