SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optic mount for 308 semi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optic mount for 308 semi Login/Join 
Picture of Shackelford
posted
Form 1 just came back on my SAN 751. I have an AccuPower that I am trying to mount on it. However, the standard AR height Warne scope mount I have is just way too high. If I mount my Aimpoint PRO, the comfortable height puts the dot in the lower quarter.

Is there a recommended low mount that will work for a standard scope? Do I dare use a pair of standard rings instead of a unitary mount, or would there be too much flex from a .308 and would just destroy the optic?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. You can get mounts in just about any height you need. From a zillion vendors. No issue on std. rings either, but if you want an easily removable one shouldn't be a problem. What height do you need?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I am asking if I need a unitary mount on a .308 semi. The Warne unitary mount I have now (a XSKEL30 MSR mount) is just way too high, but if I just use a pair of rings, will the receiver flex too much and cause damage to the scope?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in my experience. Nor have I heard of such a thing.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I would just use some appropriate height rings.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Outstanding rings in about any height that you could want:
https://www.seekinsprecision.c...rings-30mm-tube.html

I use the 1.26” extra high to mount a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 on my SCAR 17S. I have several sets of Seekins rings on other rifles and they have always been superb.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
I am asking if I need a unitary mount on a .308 semi. The Warne unitary mount I have now (a XSKEL30 MSR mount) is just way too high, but if I just use a pair of rings, will the receiver flex too much and cause damage to the scope?

Receiver flex is generally not an issue for AR10s and similar rifles. I know little of the SAN 751.

SCAR 17 rifles have a reputation of damaging certain scopes -- evidently some less robust, higher magnification zoom scopes. Even some expensive scopes. Whether it is the SCAR's receiver flex (which has been demonstrated in slow motion video) or its recoil forces, a solid one-piece scope mount is recommended for SCAR 17s.

One-piece mounts are generally designed for ARs and similar rifles. It is expected to have the best eyebox with the center of the scope being about 2.5 inches above bore. Thus, many one-piece mounts add about 1.5 inches. Or in the case of your Warne, 1.435 inches. There are a few one-piece that don't raise the scope as much. I know Nightforce has one model that adds only 1.125 inches.

If you need mount that's in the .8 inches to 1.0 inches ballpark, two-piece traditional rings are likely the best option. You should calculate your desired ring/mount height prior by buying anything.

I am guessing that your rifle would be fine with two-piece rings. Nevertheless, I have one-piece mounts on all my ARs -- I think it's just a better way to go.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.americandefenseman...-rifle-scope-mounts/

Unless you really want built in cant, I would just use the correct height rings. I like Seekins rings.

I forgot, there is also Spuhr. https://spuhrwebshop.com/en/isms/sp/

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobro has a very low mount that I have used. I like their stuff because you can get the qd levers on the side you want.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
You might consider a Spuhr Mount. They offer lots of options in mounting height. One thing is for sure, you’re going to have a very nice rig when you’re done.

Congrats on that SAPR!

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle. I don't think you risk anything going with regular rings. I haven't tried to find a "low" height 1 piece mount. Interesting question I never thought of.

Anyway I hope you'll put up pics of it, and let us know how it does. Super cool rifle.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post