SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need help with a lower for a pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a lower for a pistol Login/Join 
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted
Looking for a Colt, KAC, DD, or LMT lower (preferably complete) that can be used in a pistol build and isn't outrageously priced. The outrageously priced part is the most difficult. Any suggestions?

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colt, KAC, DD, or LMT

Champaign taste on a beer budget? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Define outrageously priced.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Colt, KAC, DD, or LMT

Champaign taste on a beer budget? Wink

Haha that's the truth. The Colt lowers they were offering awhile back would have been perfect, but of course those have dried up with no more in sight and the few that remain, well--might as well just buy a whole rifle at this point.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Define outrageously priced.

$800 for a complete LMT MARS lower is ridiculous, but $350-400 for their basic complete Defender lower is very reasonable (only I don't think those can be used for a pistol).

Based on the info I can find, none of these manufacturers offer complete lowers that can used for a pistol. So I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone knows of any complete lowers from these guys that can be used, or if the only real recourse is to buy a stripped lower.

Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
There is a Colt pistol lower for sale now on ARF, in the classifieds. It is one of the ones that Brownells was selling....

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. If its a lower it is neither a pistol nor a rifle. Its an other. so except for buying something with stuff you won't use (like a lower with a stock that you would have to ditch) the starting point can be in any configuration.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm confused. If its a lower it is neither a pistol nor a rifle. Its an other. so except for buying something with stuff you won't use (like a lower with a stock that you would have to ditch) the starting point can be in any configuration.

You are absolutely correct.
ATF answered that in this letter.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The problem is finding one of those brands as a stripped lower for a reasonable price. A lower is a rifle if it has a stock on it.

Looks like I am wrong on that last bit.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t have to be stripped.
A complete lower that was sold as such was never a rifle.
No matter what buffer configuration it had when purchased.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that BCM was not on your list but I picked this one up a few weeks ago for a 300black pistol build. It might be in your price point ?

http://shop.bravocompanymfg.co...e-p/lrg-sba3-blk.htm

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue when I built my AR pistol. I ended up using an Anderson lower.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Colt lowers are a roll stamped product of a contract machine shop. Having assembled a few, for the money, I would buy BCM or other nicely done examples. Perhaps the Colt name on the receiver means more of a perceived quality or status. No disrespect intended, really nice lower receivers with some added features have been part of some very satisfying builds.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Colt lowers are a roll stamped product of a contract machine shop. Having assembled a few, for the money, I would buy BCM or other nicely done examples. Perhaps the Colt name on the receiver means more of a perceived quality or status. No disrespect intended, really nice lower receivers with some added features have been part of some very satisfying builds.

This.
Colt, DD, etc lowers are all sub'd out to machine shops and the ONLY difference is what name gets stamped on it when they're done. You can get a complete assembled lower for your pistol from PSA for $130 with arm brace. Hard to pass that up just for a brand name.
https://palmettostatearmory.co...ray-no-magazine.html

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colt, DD, etc lowers are all sub'd out to machine shops and the ONLY difference is what name gets stamped on it when they're done.

I struggle with the concept that you would have access to information to be able to assert the above. Certainly some manufactures advertise the opposite (example: DD "makes nearly every component part it sells").
But even if it were true that work is subcontracted in this area one can have whatever level of quality and features the firm contracting for the work wants to pay for. Simple observation would show that there are lots of differences in stripped lowers that are not simply the roll mark, things like made from billet, reinforcement in certain areas, trigger guard style, magwell flares, finish, etc. And in the case of complete lowers (as was asked in the OP) there are many other components that can affect the quality and price in terms of the what's included. Just take a look at the range of quality available on buffer tubes, pistol grips, triggers, etc. etc.
There is a clear range of quality and features. And the difference is way more than the roll mark. IMO for sure KAK, DD and LMT are in the first tier. Others mentioned, maybe/maybe not.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'd toss in another vote to check out BCM. I bought one of the Blem lowers from the classifieds here, and it's fantastic - a complete BCM lower and decent trigger in it to boot, for a good starting pricepoint. tossed on a complete DD upper I had and have a super sweet, $900 BCM/Daniel Defense rifle .

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
OP: I'm simply curious why you want one of the bigger name lowers?

Why not consider one from Aero Precision, for example? I'm not trying to rain on your parade or steer you away from the big name outfits if that's what your hearts really set on, but the Aero Precision receivers are very well made, with excellent finish and won't break the bank.

Being someone who is familiar with Colt, SIG receivers and intimately familiar with DD receivers, you're not getting anything special with them compared to Aero, for example.

If you're fixed on getting a big name complete pistol lower, be prepared to wait and/or pay out the wahzoo - primarily for the name. Peeking around quickly on gunbroker, I ran across a DD pistol lower with LawTac side folder brace for about $800.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
BCM Pistol Lower at G&R Tactical

This is the route I took with the upgraded SSA trigger. Matched it with an 11.5" BCM upper.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll repeat what I (and GrumpyBiker) said above you don't need to start with a pistol lower, any lower that has not been built is fine.
Stripped LMT lower is $129 on GB. Round numbers $200 more to make it a complete one. There are complete pistol DD for <$600. Colt rifle lower is $499 and you can get a brace for <$100 so about the same (but bet you can find the colt for less than that).
In any case none of those seem outrageous for what you are looking at.