SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going to the range with rifles....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to the range with rifles.... Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I'm mostly a pistol person. I find it easy to get to the range with a few handguns and ammo and shoot. On the other hand, I find going to the range with rifles more difficult and time consuming, so I don't do it as often.

It seems I just need more stuff, it's bulkier, takes longer to get to the shooting position and setup and to shoot in general. Some of that is just not having done it as often.

So, I'm wondering what other people do and if they have a similar experience. I'm also wondering about a two rifle rolling case and if that might make it easier.

I have factory cases, they're fine, but seem rather flimsy.

Rifles I have are two ARs, one AK, a PTR91 and a custom 10/22.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My advice? And worth every cent it costs you:

Go to the range with one gun. Yes, a rifle may still be a little more time consuming and cumbersome to deal with than a handgun, but not much, and it won’t be necessary to hire a porter to carry the steamer trunk full of them. When finished the pack up and put-away process is easier, thereby maximizing range time, and there will also be less temptation to fail to inspect and clean a single gun after a session.

Most important, though, concentrating on a single gun will do the most for one’s actual proficiency with that one gun rather than being somewhat familiar with a pile of different types. Even only two rifles instead of every one you own distracts from both. In other words, focus helps us become shooters rather than just gun owners.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

I've done that now with handguns. I take two and two only, usually of the same caliber to I can focus on that firearm. It's more satisfying as well I've found.

I'll do that with rifle as well.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i did not have a range at my house, <snobbery insertet> i did the same thing i do with pistols.

I always take more than 1. Usually 3 to 5.

First is some sort of 22lr. Usually a 617, and a victory. I work on sight picture and trigger control.

Second i take the c3nter fire pistols i am working on. Smqllest to largest caliber.

For rifles, i take a 22lr rifle. I worl on sight picture, breathing, trigger pull.

Then i move to center fire rifles

My range time is usually 3 to 5 hours

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I’m fortunate to have a range nearby that I can step out my door and be to within 15 min.

As it’s a ‘bring your own targets’ range, bringing a rifle isn’t much more time consuming for me.

I typically bring 2-5 firearms but only plan to shoot 1-2 of them. When I shoot/train with ARs, I typically have two so I can train fast (swapping rifles every couple of strings during <25m drills).

And I don’t just go ‘shoot’, for Glocks and ARs I have a set of training drills that I do. Draws, reloads, drills, timer. Much more effecient IMO.

I have done the ‘only bring 1 firearm’ before but have been screwed when either something breaks, or a range closure / range activity prevent me from shooting or easily doing what I want to do, so I always bring a couple now.

When it’s hot out, my range time is <1hr. In cooler weather I’ll stay longer as long as there aren’t many people on the range, but I’d say the longest I ever shoot by myself is 2 hours.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I keep loaded mags for various rifles sorted out in labeled .30 and .50 cal ammo cans.

When I head to the range, I load up one or two rifles in a case, grab an ammo can or two, and I'm gone.

Minimal amount of carrying. Minimal amount of setup.

No more difficult than handguns.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Do you generally use the factory cases, soft cases, some sort of hard case, a pelican type case?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For range trips, I usually use soft cases. I have a several different ones. Some hold one rifle, while others hold two.

I do have a few hard cases as well, but those are generally used when travelling longer distances, like packing up and driving several states over for a hunting trip.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have to walk a long way from the truck to the rifle bench at one range I go to. I am trying to devise a rolling system that can handle 2-3 rifles, ammo, and shooting bags.

Pelican has a rolling vault case that I am thinking of getting and attaching a type of rack system to strap on all the other stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Usually bring a bunch and we make a full day of it (not all mine, nephew was along as well).

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Do you generally use the factory cases, soft cases, some sort of hard case, a pelican type case?
I use BullDog soft side cases for ARs (separate the upper from the lower), available on Amazon.

For the 10/22 TD I use the factory soft case and for a bolt gun I have a couple of other soft cases for those to fit them.

Pelicans get heavy fast (and cost $$$). I do have 1 rifle Plano case and a Pelican to travel with multiple pistols - if I was going on a long drive or needed to fly, I would use those but for local trips just soft cases.

We can pull up almost to the benches with the vehicles, so it’s easy to unload.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have some really nice rolling hard rifle cases (Pelican and Storm).

I never use them for going to the range. They are heavy and a huge pain in the ass.

I just pile rifles in soft cases in the back of my car. It's not going to hurt a rifle in a soft case to have other rifles in soft cases sitting on top of it.

I do have a few "drag bag" style cases that have a bunch of pockets, so I can stick magazines, ammo, bipods, etc., in the case with a gun. It's convenient. The cases get really, really heavy when you stick all that crap in them. Some of them have backpack straps, which helps.

This is my approach for everything from ARs and .22s to a custom bolt rifle that I spent maybe $5-6k on (including optics).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
We usually take one, sometimes 2 rifles, that’s it. We have a shoulder bag with all targets, tools, ears, etc, and carry the ammo needed along with possibly a rest for the rifle. Usually only one caliber, so we aren’t taking too much along.
That way, not too much of a burden, and we always clean them after a good day at the range, so only one or two to be cleaned.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Ditto me. I used to take lots of rifles to the range, now I take one or two, at most.

Definitely takes longer to get set up with rifles, unless you have a more permissive range.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'm a br long distance shooter.
I have tool boxes with everything in them along with a cleaning box & table
I use a cart to go from truck to table then unpack putting rest, bags, ammo, fans .... Into cart to go to the bench.
Saves trips back & forth.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
It seems I just need more stuff, it's bulkier, takes longer to get to the shooting position and setup and to shoot in general.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I spend way more days behind long guns than pistols.

Have a plan. With time and experience, plans and subsequent actions will become increasing congruent.

I take only 1 or 2 rifles on a range day. Focus on a limited set of goals -- don't try to do everything in one day. I take a second rifle for a second plan, not as a backup for the first rifle. In many years and tens of thousands of rounds, I've never had a rifle go down for the day. Change out a magazine, use a tool to tighten a scope mount, or apply a little lube -- and I'm back in business.

Today I took 2 ARs to the range, because I had 2 goals. Primary -- practice shooting kneeling through standing, with the rifle supported by tripod, at steel targets at 300-500 yards. This is training for a team precision match in a few weeks. Secondary -- test 300blk ammo accuracy at 100 yards, so I can weed out what isn't accurate. Alternating between the ARs kept their barrels and suppressors at reasonable temperatures.

Shooting time was about 4 hours today, including time to change target pasters at 100 yards, and walking out & back to repaint steel. Add some time on the front and back end to setup and tear down steel. Add another 4 hours over the course of the day for ranch duties, as my shooting range is family range land. It makes for long days.

Posts: 7846 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't take more than two rifles in a soft Blackhawk gun case for two rifles. Also a Dillon Range bag that has my ammo, ears and accessories.

When I shoot pistol, I use a GPS backpack which carries everything I need for that range session which may involve only one caliber or multiple calibers if I will shoot a newly purchased gun.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
When I'm going to the range with friends, I'll bring all kinds of stuff.

When I'm alone, I bring one rifle, possibly 2, and a couple handguns.

I have a two wheel dolly I use for work. Simple, multiple use.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I also used to take a number of rifles and a pistol to the range. Now I take only 1 or 2. When I bring a pistol along it's only 1 in a small hard case. Pistol stays in car until the rifle shooting is done. Then put the rifles back in the car take the pistol ears and ammo and walk to the pistol range. Fortunately I have a very short walk from my truck to either range.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
If I'm zeroing for a hunting season I take the two rifles I plan on hunting with. One is the primary rifle and the other is a backup in case of a fall. That way I have a backup. If I'm going to the range for just a fun day I take 3 pistols and a couple of AR-15's to play with.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post