SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Iron Sigths
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Iron Sigths Login/Join 
Picture of aguilar64
posted
I'm looking to buy a good set of AR iron sights, what would you recommend? I'm using the rifle on a 100 yard range.
Thanks

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2209 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do you want fixed or folding sights?

I like Troy's iron sights, especially their folding sights.

Daniel Defense makes a nice set of fixed sights.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
Folding sights. I did take a look at Troy's but I wanted to get as many responses to see everyone's experience.

― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2209 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Troy, they usually are on sale at primary arms around holidays.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm all in on MBUS Pro sights.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I have to second the Mbus pros. Great steel sights. When folded down they almost disappear. (I mostly shoot with red dot) they also adjust for windage and elevation without tools.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Cheap - Regular MBUS

Metal / Pricey - MBUS Pros

Offsets - MBUS Pro Offsets

Here endith the lesson

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Metal / Pricey - MBUS Pros

I think I'll be going this way,
Thanks

― Ted Nugent

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Recently bought Griffin Armament folding micros and I'm pleased with them.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might have made your mind up already...but take a look at these...Aero Precision, they do offer specials pretty often.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/a...ip-up-sight-set.html

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Knight's folding micros

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We've had a couple sets of MBUS pros snap when overtightened (overtightening the 1913 rail retention screw). Apparently the metal on at least some of them is brittle.

It's never happened with Knights (pricey, but the best) or Troys (these days kind of bulky). I really like the low profile and quality construction of the KAC sights, but they are not cheap or plentiful.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am happy with the Troy sights. Very sturdy in both fixed and folding variations.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
have diamondheads on one rifle and a Troy fixed rear on another rifle. Both work. I like the shape of the aperture on the diamond heads better though.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got troy, KAC, Matech and MBUS folding and Larue and LMT Fixed.

They are all good.

The Troys were a gold standard and make BUIS for other companies. They are solid if a little bulky and lock.

The KAC is considerably less bulky than the troys and easier to adjust. I have the micro with both fixed and range adjustable rear. They cost a lot, but I think you get a good value. I recommend the 300 meter rear micro and micro front for carbine use. The 200-600 is nice for a SPR or SAM-R or if you have been trained to estimate range and then adjust your sights.

The MAGPUL MBUS is probably the best value of the bunch for use as a BUIS. light weight, low cost, locks in both the up and down position. I tried the rear one on a lightweight build and I liked it. I leave them down most of the time as they spring into position if I need them. One word of caution on the Magpuls, Magpul makes/made an airsoft version tagged PTS that are really cheap and not intended for firearms use.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The MAGPUL MBUS is probably the best value of the bunch for use as a BUIS. light weight, low cost, locks in both the up and down position.

MBUS sights only lock in the down position. They're held upright through spring tension alone, and can be folded back down with only minor pressure on the sight.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
looking for a 'good' set of irons to me means you actually want to use them (as opposed to a set you need if your aimpoint somehow dies).
For that I have used and can recommend the Troy. I have used the Arms ones for many years without issue but the troy's are better.
Of course if this were me I'd just use a carry handle sight till I could afford an aimpoint.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense makes a fixed all metal rear and front. I'm looking at adding the rear fixed to one of my AR's. They run about $60 each. But they can be had on sale for a little less.

LaRue makes a rear fixed, similar to DD, and come with a lever mount or their VZF mount option for $25 less.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The MAGPUL MBUS is probably the best value of the bunch for use as a BUIS. light weight, low cost, locks in both the up and down position.

MBUS sights only lock in the down position. They're held upright through spring tension alone, and can be folded back down with only minor pressure on the sight.

that's interesting. Take a look at the side of the rear sight, there is a plastic "tooth" that fits into a notch on the base of the sight. I've always depressed the latch to close them. I did not realize that they flipped down with out operating the latch.

So I went and check the Magpul website and they say detent and spring tension not locked, but that the sight will fold under impact. Intresting.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Everything you wanted to know about backup sights, but were afraid to ask.

http://www.recoilweb.com/back-...on-sights-78135.html

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post