SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice finding JDI Import SG-551 Pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice finding JDI Import SG-551 Pistol Login/Join 
posted
Had no idea JDI (of Texas) was importing the SG-551 pistols and now they are out. Any ideas on where to find one or do you think JDI will import more of these?

Although JDI has other model options, I suspect more SG-551 pistol imports would be on the horizon.

Bravo JDI!

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes, they'll be bringing in more. Call or FB message them to find out timeline for more to come in.

Posts: 3073 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I've never heard that inscribing the SBR manufacturer name and address under/inside the receiver is legal. Does anyone have any BATFE documentation about this? My understanding is that the inscription had to be plainly visible without removal of anything. The inscription could be on receiver or barrel or any other normally attached weapon component. My GSG-5 SBR is marked on the cocking tube.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Yes, they'll be bringing in more. Call or FB message them to find out timeline for more to come in.

Called JDI yesterday and the fella there led me to believe that was the last of the SG551 pistols. Perhaps JDI is importing small batches at a time to avoid diluting market? Maintain mystique?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I've never heard that inscribing the SBR manufacturer name and address under/inside the receiver is legal. Does anyone have any BATFE documentation about this? My understanding is that the inscription had to be plainly visible without removal of anything. The inscription could be on receiver or barrel or any other normally attached weapon component. My GSG-5 SBR is marked on the cocking tube.

I've always thought it had to be on the receiver but I've been told by a few SOT's that they engrave on the barrel or other part depending on the design.

I had my 553R model engraved in the middle of the rail because its welded on to the gun (so not readily visible but still accessible and not easily removed).

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomday:
quote:

Called JDI yesterday and the fella there led me to believe that was the last of the SG551 pistols. Perhaps JDI is importing small batches at a time to avoid diluting market? Maintain mystique?

Based on what I've observed in the recent SAN SIG Swiss Arms market over the last several years there is a small but dedicated group of collectors and enthusiasts. Probably not enough to justify either the speculated risk of invested money or the work involved in importing them. Although I would personally like to see the widespread importation and access to the Swiss guns I can understand why a company wouldn't import large quantities of them. The strategy of bringing in a small number and then waiting to see how quickly they sell makes good business sense... and YES, it wouldn't surprise me if keeping the import quantity small to increase demand plays into the strategy.

JDI claims to have imported 51 SG 551 P pistols. Whether there are anymore available to be imported or whether they will remains to be seen. Fingers crossed that they keep bringing them in.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
SAN/Swiss Arms is being run on a skeleton crew. I'd surmise given the change in Swiss laws that their future is not certain.

For my $$, if you want an investment grade gun...the 751 SAPR is it.

posted Hide Post
Dave at JDI told me the 551s he imported will be the ONLY 551 complete firearms to be imported. If you want one, buy it now.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
SAN/Swiss Arms is being run on a skeleton crew. I'd surmise given the change in Swiss laws that their future is not certain.

For my $$, if you want an investment grade gun...the 751 SAPR is it.

What changes did they make?

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Dave at JDI told me the 551s he imported will be the ONLY 551 complete firearms to be imported. If you want one, buy it now.

You are correct and JDI is out of them. So I guess the only option is to order a 553p and a 551 conversion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomday:
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:

You are correct and JDI is out of them. So I guess the only option is to order a 553p and a 551 conversion.

I spoke to Dave about 2 weeks ago and was under the impression that he had some remaining. Did you speak to him and he told you they are sold out? If that's the case, I would order a 553 LB model from him. You can spec it to your desires and the barrel is only about an inch shorter than the 551.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About one week ago (and again yesterday), Dave clearly stated 551p models were capped at 50 pieces and that JDI is sold out. He did however recommend ordering the 553p and a 14.5 inch 551p upper that is available for conversions. Unlike the factory 551p, the conversion will not have matching numbers which is nice.

Wish I had the $$ when West Coast was offering the 1 of 250 LEO Models. I just hate having to go through this NFA hassle and to deal with 922r to SBR the 553p

Perhaps Dave was referring to the SG 751 SAPR which is still available?

Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep - absolutely.. with the Major customer now no longer the Swiss army.. well - Watch the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5sGINctMIY

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
quote:

Yep - absolutely.. with the Major customer now no longer the Swiss army.. well - Watch the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5sGINctMIY

That was a great video!

Frankly, I'm amazed at why San Swiss can't get their guns imported in the same way FN did with the SCAR and CZ did with the Bren 805. I bet America would give them all the business they could handle.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was a great video!

Frankly, I'm amazed at why San Swiss can't get their guns imported in the same way FN did with the SCAR and CZ did with the Bren 805. I bet America would give them all the business they could handle.

Unfortunately, i'm sure the cost of any SAN rifle imported to the US would put off most US buyers. $2500-5000 for a swiss rifle is is the same as 2x AR15s. We are all living in the walmart economy - peoople don't care about quality - just cheapness..

That being said, purists/collectors/the wealthy will continue to buy these rifles - but that alone may not be enough to sustain a consistent market for these guns..

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
quote:

That was a great video!

Unfortunately, i'm sure the cost of any SAN rifle imported to the US would put off most US buyers. $2500-5000 for a swiss rifle is is the same as 2x AR15s. We are all living in the walmart economy - peoople don't care about quality - just cheapness..

That being said, purists/collectors/the wealthy will continue to buy these rifles - but that alone may not be enough to sustain a consistent market for these guns..

I hear what you're saying. For most people I work with, a plain vanilla 6920 is a Grail Gun and most can't understand why anyone should pay $800 for a Colt when they can get a DPMS, Bushy, etc. for less.

Then again, others have no problem buying B&Ts, SCARs, Tavors, HK MRs, etc. I believe there is a market for true Swiss series guns. I for one would be happy as hell to have at least one or more, but I don't want to play the SBR/parts count game. I kick myself for missing that PE90 that sold on GB a few weeks ago. That would have been an awesome family heirloom.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
I forgot to ask everyone on this post/thread..

In your calls/interactions with JDI recently - did they in any way mention the status of the 751 SAPR rifles they were importing? Amount still available?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Still available but no idea as to quantity. I'd love to get one...need to check $$ after just buying a 553 Diopter upper and surplus 551 (sold my WCA to buy it).

posted Hide Post
I have no Swiss rifles so should I grab a SG751 SAPR or 553P?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
are you goals to collect or shoot? the 751 is far more rare.