SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle for hunting sheep
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle for hunting sheep Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigmnt:
I have had a horrible experience with drop style magazine rifles as I lost one on a hunt and did not have a spare due to weight and space requirements.

Thanks for mentioning that experience.

I’m working on a piece about law enforcement precision riflery and I discuss the advantages of the detachable box magazine over integral mags for that purpose. There are ways to keep that from happening, but not if we don’t even think about the possibility to begin with.

And the discussion about cartridges is also very informative. I would not have guessed that sheep required as much power as many hunters prefer, but the part about needing to anchor the animal to keep it from falling into an inaccessible spot makes sense.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im also not really a big fan of detachable magazines on a sheep hunting rifle. I haven't experienced any issues with the mags on my Tikka rifles and I haven't heard of anybody having issues with a Sako but I have had a bad experience with a ruler American (granted the American isn't as nice of a rifle as the 2 previously mentioned) but it feels like the weak link in the chain to me. In defense of the Tikka's (and probably a sako) I believe you can load a single round in case you did Loe the mag but I haven't tried it.

That being said, I like the blind magazine, CRF, awesome trigger and the excellent stock that come with the Kimber rifles, they are simply better than a Tikka. Im not bashing on Tikka rifles, As I said, I own a few and enjoy shooting them, for the $$$ they are pretty tough to beat but I don't agree with others who think tikka compete with rifles costing twice as much.

I decided a few days ago to get a Remington 700 mountain rifle, like lots of other guys here, I like starting new projects and picking up guns that I've wanted for awhile. I have no issue with Remington's quality even though some have calmed to have had bad experiences. Ive handled a dozen or so new (within the past 2 years) production Remington's and the higher end models seem as great as ever (BDL, CDL SF, mountain, American wilderness).

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I don’t hunt sheep but I have a friend who is a serious hunter and he swears by Christensen Arms’ carbon fiber wrapped barrels. I have a hybrid Christiansen Arms rifle that started out as a Winchester Classic Stainless. It is amazingly how light weight it is with a 24” or 26” barrel.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
think tikka compete with rifles costing twice as much.

Other than reliability and accuracy I do agree the rifles costing twice as much do out do Tikka, if that is your thing. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
think tikka compete with rifles costing twice as much.

Other than reliability and accuracy I do agree the rifles costing twice as much do out do Tikka, if that is your thing. Wink

I've not personally found tikkas to be any more accurate or reliable than any other rifle in that price range. I'm not saying they aren't accurate but I think it's a bit over blown and not leaps and bounds above. As for reliability...it's a bolt action rifle. Again, I haven't really had one fail.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Re-read your sentence. I did not say more accurate. Oh yes Tikka' do compete just fine with rifles costing twice as much or more. Which is point you brought up.

I have rifles costing more. And my Tikka's are just as reliable and accurate. No the stocks are not that great, yada, yada, yada. But they do complete just fine with more expensive rifles just fine and out shoot many of them.

Kimbers above most others. Have accuracy issues. Some shoot great, other's do not. You do not get that typically from the Tikka.

I know you always have to have the last word so please, go ahead, but my point is valid and well supported.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Re-read your sentence. I did not say more accurate. Oh yes Tikka' do compete just fine with rifles costing twice as much or more. Which is point you brought up.

I have rifles costing more. And my Tikka's are just as reliable and accurate. No the stocks are not that great, yada, yada, yada. But they do complete just fine with more expensive rifles just fine and out shoot many of them.

Kimbers above most others. Have accuracy issues. Some shoot great, other's do not. You do not get that typically from the Tikka.

I know you always have to have the last word so please, go ahead, but my point is valid and well supported.

I always have to have the last word? I thought we were having a simple, civil discussion about our rifle preferences for sheep hunting. Maybe you're having a bad day or something.