SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SAN Swiss Arms PE90 sold for ~ $20K!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAN Swiss Arms PE90 sold for ~ $20K! Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think this is a real preban?

http://www.prebanarmory.com/sig-pe90-rifle-2/

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes, they've had that listed for years. Long before JDI got 550's and PE90's approved for import

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That’s what I thought, although they haven’t had anything new in so long, that I stopped checking on that site. Shame as they are local.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PGT, I believe you might be incorrect about the CH 016. I've read that it means it's a semi-auto only according to Swiss laws from the late 90's. If anyone can zoom in on the date stamp inside the folding stock it might give a better idea of the production date. You can even look up posts from other forums that are well over 10 years old that show them with the same markings.

Also, I don't see why this isn't a pre ban... there's no import marks to be seen. I know JDI is bringing in pistols now but there's still something to be said about the original pre bans imported as rifles not pistols. Some people might want an original, not one marked as a "P" I guess. And how would someone have imported a PE in rifle form after 2016 anyhow?

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Interesting. It's right in the same spot as the two digit date codes on my SigSauer and JDI imported Swiss guns. 12, 13, 18, 19, etc.

posted Hide Post
The PE is the semi only version of the STG 90. It's slightly different from the commercial export 550. From what I've read it was the sporter version and not originally intended for export like the other 550's we have here. From my knowledge there's very few in the country hence the high sale price. 550's and 550P's are obviously still pricey and worth the money but at the end of the day they're not a PE....

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
The PE is the semi only version of the STG 90. It's slightly different from the commercial export 550. From what I've read it was the sporter version and not originally intended for export like the other 550's we have here. From my knowledge there's very few in the country hence the high sale price. 550's and 550P's are obviously still pricey and worth the money but at the end of the day they're not a PE....

pre-bans yes. But Trident LLC brought over a bunch of post-bans as pistols so knowing which is which isn't so simple.

posted Hide Post
I guess for people willing to spend that kind of money it's all about markings. The new JDI import 550P go for 3-5k, 550-1 or 2's 8-10k and PE 90's up to 20k as we saw. The markings clearly determine value and rarity. Since you can put a stock on the 550P because of the 20 inch barrel doesn't mean it's a true 550-1 or 2 rifle or should demand the same price as one. Anyone paying those higher prices hasn't done their homework. They're getting gouged by a seller that originally bought it from JDI and jacked up the price for resale. You're seeing many ads now of the 550P for sale advertised as a PE90/ST550-2 etc and that's clearly not how they're marked. The PE 90's and 550-1 and 2's were originally imported obviously as rifles with there being very few PE's. No one is importing rifles anymore for civilian use. What you're seeing sold on sites now is either a true rifle version, the "P" version or a frankengun made up from different Swiss/Sig guns, however the marking are all very clear as to what they really are.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:

pre-bans yes. But Trident LLC brought over a bunch of post-bans as pistols so knowing which is which isn't so simple.

I would assume Trident still had to import mark them. Has anyone seen one or have any pics of them to see?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would assume Trident still had to import mark them. Has anyone seen one or have any pics of them to see?

I've heard that not all were import marked.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
in general, in the past import marks did not have to be big billboards

sometimes they were under slides, on the barrels (covered by other parts), bottom of mag wells etc,

even under pistol grips,

I'm not sure of the vintage these were imported, just saying the mark may not be obvious

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those statements are completely true. But this gun is advertised as no import marks so if it had them that would be a very serious issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These PE90s command a higher premium than JDI imports in my opinion because JDI markings are less desirable. I really dislike the JDI serial number prefixes. SAN Imports was a nice change, but they still have JDI prefix serial numbers. And unfortunately now Swiss 55x are marked Sig Sauer Ag instead of SAN.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've heard that not all were import marked.

AFAIK, all Trident imports are marked on the barrel.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something about a scope over a rotary diopter that just looks "odd".

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
A 2016 production rifle bearing bearing no import markings, that is in free circulation?

I suppose that is possible if a private individual imported it as a pistol, then added the stock back. Or maybe it was a sample gun submitted to the ATF, or LE T&E and later released?

Regardless of how it came into the country it must've been under extraordinary circumstances.

Furthermore, a PE90 is a lot less common than the run of the mill pre89 commercial imports, AND they're actually more true to the original military issue stgw.90s in that they still retain the bayonet lug stud grenade launching ring, and original diameter integral flash hider.

A proper PE90 is more desirable over a pre89 SG550-x any day of the week.

I don't doubt that the pre89 gun values have taken a hit after the recent flood of imported SIG/SAN guns, they're no longer the holy grail of pre-bans as they once were, especially when locating a PE90 now being within the realm of possibility.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post