SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Walnut Furniture For AR15?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut Furniture For AR15? Login/Join 
Picture of nero
posted
I have Colt AR15A4 rifle that I'm thinking about putting some new furniture on and I came across a company that makes black walnut stocks/grips/handguards for AR15s:

Black Guns Wood

However, I'm a little concerned about a wood handguard without any vent holes covering a hot gun barrel. Now I wouldn't be dumping numerous mags through the AR at one time, but still I'm a bit concerned about a non-vented wood handguard over a hot barrel. Has anyone here had any experience with wood furniture on a AR15? Also, there is another company named Boyds that makes wood furniture for ARs that does have vented handguards, but I much prefer the more tradition styling of Black Guns Wood's AR furniture.

Thanks for your input and assistance.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You might ask them if they can have metal heat shields on the inside. I believe Ironwood Designs does this with theirs.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
Thanks, zoom6zoom. I emailed Black Gun Wood asking about metal heat shields, and they replied that their handguards do not have them, but they did put 180-200 rounds in one range session through an AR with the wood furniture with no issues, and stated that they have not had any complaints or heard of any issues from any of their previous customers. I also went to Iron Designs website to see their products, but unfortunately their AR15 furniture page was down/under construction. I think that I'll wait until Ironwood's AR page is available to get a look at their offerings before making a final decision. Again, thanks for your input.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
glad to help. I'd recommend dropping an email to Matt at Ironwood. (might take him a few days to get back to you). I also have my eyes on their AR stuff for a future build. At times they have had the parts on their "scrapyard" page.

I have been very happy with his products and support. This is a picture of one of the very first VEPR stocks they produced. It was received unfinished and dyed and shellacked by myself.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
Will do, Zoom6zoom...And that's a great looking VEPR!

nero

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Arc did a walnut stock, pistol grip and hand guard build a few months ago...it looked really nice...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3240087344/p/2

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Google Search "AR15 wood furniture"and there's a few places out there making them.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I saw a video once of an AK on auto where the hand guards caught fire. It was a fairly hefty round count. Unless you plan on getting into some really long battles with the AR I think you’ll be ok.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I used to bumpfire my Yugo RPK with a 75 round drum and the original wood stocks. Never caught fire, but the heat would melt more cosmoline out of the wood every time.