SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FAL experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAL experts Login/Join 
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted
So I had a lady walk into the PD a few weeks ago and give me her deceased husbands FAL because she didn't want it in the house any longer. It was in pieces and parts and with the help of YouTube and the web I have it like 90% assembled. Its missing some minor things like a dust cover and the magazine retention spring screw ) or something like that).

Its an IMBEL receiver that was imported through Century at some point. Now all over the gun are either stamped or etched numbers which leads me to believe that its a parts gun that was assembled.

Does anyone know what the actual true serial number location would be and if there is any way to track the number through IMBEL or Century to find out if this is possibly one the registry?

Pictures to follow shortly (if I can figure out how to do them)

And as always thanks for the insight and time

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3808 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Right side of the receiver/magazine well will be the "official" serial number.

Posts: 32410 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boss

Now on mine I also have stamped numbers up by the rear sight on the same side. They are a different series of numbers

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3808 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTREND75:
Now on mine I also have stamped numbers up by the rear sight on the same side. They are a different series of numbers

That's likely the serial from the lower receiver from whatever rifle parts kit was used to built the FAL on the Imbel receiver.

On a FAL the "upper" is the official registered receiver (shown in my first photo in my first post above), not the "lower" with the fire control group and stock like on an AR.

Some FAL receivers will have the serial on the left side of the receiver above the selector switch, but I don't believe that location was ever used on Imbel receiver.

My last FAL was a mutt too. Imbel receiver, Austrian Stg 58 parts kit, and a Rhodesian bolt.

Posts: 32410 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DTREND75:

That's likely the serial from the lower receiver from whatever rifle parts kit was used to built the FAL on the Imbel receiver.

On a FAL the "upper" is the official registered receiver (shown in my first photo above), not the "lower" with the fire control group and stock like on an AR.

My last FAL was a mutt too. Imbel receiver, Austrian Stg 58 parts kit, and a Rhodesian bolt.

Many thanks Rogue

posted Hide Post
I believe mine is stamped on the upper rear receiver as well. Also believe it is a former Canadian weapon that Century converted to semi for the public market.

Posts: 2128 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Also believe it is a former Canadian weapon that Century converted to semi for the public market.

Actually, the Canadians modified their C1A1s to semi-automatic and surplused them to the civilian market, when they switched to the M-16. They were never available to Americans legally because the ATF says “Once was, always is”, although you could, for a time, find some for sale at the Cincinnati gun show.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
When you say 'on the registry', are you refering to the ATF list of legal Title II NFA? The short answer is probably not. You can look in the receiver to see if the auto sear slotis welded up. The FAL is designed to use the auto sear as a safety to determine if the bolt is fully closed, even on semi auto rifles. It's legal outside the US, but every imported receiver has the slot welded up. Years ago I had an inch FAL that still had the three way safety and even though it had no aute sear, I could get it to go typewriter with just the trigger parts.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
When you say 'on the registry', are you refering to the ATF list of legal Title II NFA? The short answer is probably not. You can look in the receiver to see if the auto sear slotis welded up. The FAL is designed to use the auto sear as a safety to determine if the bolt is fully closed, even on semi auto rifles. It's legal outside the US, but every imported receiver has the slot welded up. Years ago I had an inch FAL that still had the three way safety and even though it had no aute sear, I could get it to go typewriter with just the trigger parts.

Ahem, in the British Army we used a safety match. Seemed appropriate at the time.

We got into all kinds of carp for doing it, though....uh, so I'm told.

Posts: 11303 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post