SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let's discuss the Molot Vepr 12 shotgun please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's discuss the Molot Vepr 12 shotgun please. Login/Join 
Picture of RaiseHal
posted
I've been intrigued by this AK pattern magazine fed shotgun. With the latest Russian sanctions which may never end, it's kinda get one now or forget about it.

Ironically the advantage of being magazine fed with 5, 8, 10 round factory mags ( and aftermarket mags of unknown reliability) seem to also be its downside which is the limited number of available factory mags already in the country. This small number make them expensive, like $130 a pop expensive. Which means you could spend as much on magazines as you spend on the cost of the gun.

If anyone has handled or fired one of these, I'd love to have you share your experiences. I have a Saiga 410 so I'm not unfamiliar with the platform. The Vepr is basically an upgraded Saiga.

The model I'm looking at has a folding stock and enough US made parts to be compliant. I've heard that Russian law mandates a so called safety device which prohibits firing with the stock folded closed. I don't know if that is correct.

And if you have to ask why or for what purpose this firearm would fill, it's one of those "just because" you can and just because it's really cool. And I seem to collect shotguns. And I think a Vepr 12 with a SilencerCo Salvo 12 would be close to the ultimate in cool.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
The go to for aftermarket mags: https://www.sgmtactical.com/pr...azines/vepr-shotgun/

They don't list the 10 rounders for some reason. The drum is bulky as Hell, but cycles beautifully !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Ive really like to have one. But may wait for the new Tavor shotgun to come out.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are fantastic shotguns. I couldn't imagine any finer defensive weapon. Because of the short sight picture (say not a long comb like on an over under) they are not prime time for clays, but they will shoot clays. In fact, once you hit the clay you still have a shitload of rounds to break the clay pieces flying both directions again and again. SO MUCH FUN!

A lot of the complaints on them are people who are shooting underpowered ammo. The factory says don't do it but folks want them to cycle with the cheap ammo so that's most folks goal. I'll try and post a vid.

Can't get the embedment button to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A_OhUUwjS4

Same guy with his Saiga. He favors the Vepr now I believe.

They have a regular forum for more info: http://www.vepr.org/viewforum....46596f28e60d4ce03580

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but how hard is it to find VEPR mags or VEPR-compatible mags? VEPR mags are now prohibited from importation as well.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but how hard is it to find VEPR mags or VEPR-compatible mags? VEPR mags are now prohibited from importation as well.

See my above post...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I needs one.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My favorite shotgun I have ever owned. I’d take it over my Benelli M4 if I had to choose.

I use SGM magazines with no issues. It will shoot lower powered stuff if you choose the right dram. Mine is a factory folder with upgraded handguard, puck, and trigger parts for 922r.
Mag dump, reload, mag dump can be done faster than I can reload a tube. It’s a fantastic firearm, a Vepr, and one of Molot’s finest. It’s a tank. Mine has a large brake. You store it with a full mag, with it locked open, and no shell in the chamber.

Carolina Shooters Supply has everything you could possibly want for it. My only regret is I didn’t buy two. I paid $999 for my factory folder and could have bought a 2nd one for $799.
Best defensive shotgun on the market.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Siaga based 12 guage shotgun that was converted several years ago by Red Jacket firearms (before they had TV show). It would only cycle with full power ammo ( it was even finicky with that), had all the poor ergonomics of an AK pattern long gun (poor safety, sharp charging handle, sharp edges, poor sight picture with HK style iron sight). I took a shotgun class with it and found it to be unwieldly compared to a slim style shotgun like a FN SLP. i also found mag changes were cumbersome during the class because they were so large ( 10 rounders). I sold it and kept the FN SLP.

Posts: 183 | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I give a big thumbs up to Anthony at evlutionz. He customized my Saiga 12 (pics are on his site) and his work is outstanding. He makes these shotguns super reliable with any ammo. Check out his youtube videos where he does 10 mag dumps.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Not a dumb question at all. Both SGM and CSSpecs make good aftermarket mags. The SGM are plastic which had some early issues where shrinkage caused rounds to stock, that's been fixed. CSSPECS makes solid metal magazines for them. 8 and 10 rounders. Unfortunately, because of individual firearm variations, they sometimes need to be filed a bit to fit. $65 for a mag built like a tank is a reasonable price in my view. I have a bunch of the 8 rounders. Too many in fact, but they were the $38 blems and I went crazy:-). Bought some of the 25 round drums too. http://stores.csspecs.com/vepr...ound-steel-magazine/

One thing that has come out is that the variation of size on 12 ga shotgun shells can be radically different between brands. Some will work better than others in these guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimb888,

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post