SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger wins bid for Marlin
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger wins bid for Marlin Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ive always wanted ruger to make a pump shotgun. I wish they could get the rights to the 870 and 1100/11-87.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
AR-pistol format bolt action?

I don't understand having the bolt on the right side, unless you're left-handed. Wouldn't a right-hander want the bolt on the left side? Then you can aim and shoot with the strong hand and work the action with the off hand. Or am I missing something?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Wouldn't a right-hander want the bolt on the left side?

Yes, but 1. not doing bolt action pistols correctly has been the rule rather than the exception, and 2. I would bet a nickel that very few buyers of the model 700 CP would ever shoot it as a pistol with the brace wrapped around their arms.* That would make the right side bolt even worse, but do we really believe that any more than a minuscule portion of the “braces” are used by their owners as they were supposedly designed to be?

In 300 Blackout I could see the appeal of that “pistol” to some people due to its small size. Not everyone wants huge magazines and high volumes of fire—even today. I could even see getting one myself if I wanted a $1100+ 300 BLK range toy to break out of storage every six months or so. I am not really very satisfied with my T/C Contender version.

I would not want to be in the area, though, when a 308 Winchester cartridge was touched off from a 12.5" barrel.

* Assuming, of course, we are referring to the arm braced version. I realize that the gun is available without it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Ruger release this statement today.

Long live the lever gun!!! The Ruger Marlin has great potential.

quote:
Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.
"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."
The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.
"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they can keep the lever gun line, especially the 39a, but considering the number of forged parts, machining and hand fitting I wonder if they can do it at a decent price point if at all, same for the centerfire lever guns. I just wonder if they can make those parts with their mim casting.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Ive always wanted ruger to make a pump shotgun. I wish they could get the rights to the 870 and 1100/11-87.

I'd like to see an updated version of the Marlin 120. Maybe not with the 40" barrel they actually offered. But the Model 120 was a really fine shotgun.

On second thought, the 40" barrel would be a really cool option.

So many great guns have been lost from the Marlin lines.

Bring back the 512 Slugmaster. (I always felt like I was carrying an elephant gun.)

Keep the .35 Remington 336. What an awesome caliber.

Keep the micro-groove rifling on their 336 .30-30 and .35 Remingtons and .22 models.

Bring back the Camp Carbines.

And bring back the 39A and make it a regular offering instead of custom-shop-only.

Bring back walnut stocks to the .22 line.

Bring back the Marlin 781 and 783 tube-fed bolt action rimfires with folding rear sights and front sight shrouds.

Bring back real triggers and dump the God-awful-ugly Pro-Fire triggers.

I'd like to see the side of the 336 rifles drilled and tapped again for the Lyman peep sight. (Then I'd like to see Lyman make an all steel 66 again with a quality worth buying. I can dream a little, right?)

Remington actually got their act together with Marlin rifle quality from about 2014 on. My Remington-made Marlins are as good, or better, than the same rifles I had that were made prior to the Remington buyout. I hope there is no quality degradation while Ruger learns how to make them.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

The 870 and 11-87 unfortunately seem lost to some real estate company. I hope they sell those off to someone who will make them great again. My first gun ever was a 870 express youth 20 gauge, and I just bought a police trade in 870 Police magnum. And I’ve got a few 870s in between. I love the 870.

Ruger could take the Marlin line into a lot of directions, but I’d settle for them simply restoring the good name Marlin had. I hope they keep the Model 60, even though it’s probably the largest competitor to the 10/22, and I’d love to see some lever action parings with Ruger revolvers like the .480 Ruger. But if they just made a high quality 336 in a few calibers I’d be pretty stoked.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger release this statement today.

Long live the lever gun!!! The Ruger Marlin has great potential.

I saw that and it made me happy! Sounds like Ruger is comitting to keep Marlin alive, and I'm excited to see what they do with it. Ruger is very good about offering guns in a variety of chamberings, and in my experience they make quality stuff that works, with good QC and good product support. This can only mean good things for Marlin.

Ruger, if you're listening, please bring back the 39M!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Let's crystalize some feelings here. I've always wanted an 1894 in .45 Colt. Should I wait for the Ruglin or try to get a good deal on a Remlin?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
An 1894 in .327 Fed Mag would be pretty sweet.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Let's crystalize some feelings here. I've always wanted an 1894 in .45 Colt. Should I wait for the Ruglin or try to get a good deal on a Remlin?

If you can find one, there's probably no reason not to buy it now. My only consternation would be the warranty issue if you do have a problem. I haven't seen any information as to who will be handling warranty issues, or even if the warranties will still be honored. But in terms of quality, Remington made Marlins, after about 2014, were at least as good as previous Marlins made by Marlin. And it seems the majority produced before 2014 were fine.

And there is no telling what will initially come out of the Ruger. Will they have the same learning curve as Remington? Remington bought a firearm manufacturer that made good guns, but made them on ancient equipment, and for which few technical drawings existed. Remington moved production to mostly modern machines and there was a big learning curve. It's my understanding that Ruger is moving Remington's machinery used to make Marlins to their plant. That may shorten the learning curve that Remington went through. But who knows, yet, what will really change. If Ruger starts casting receivers and hammer forging barrels, what sort of issues will we see with fat barrel extensions, like on the 1895, screwed into cast receivers with thinner metal around them. Sometimes that was an issue on both marlins and Remlins with forged receivers. Who knows yet?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I think that this is super good news! I can't wait to see what Ruger does with them.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I just hope Ruger finally, FINALLY, changes the damn twist rate on the .44 mag 1894’s. I believe all Rugers handguns are 1/20 Rather than the annoying 1/38 Marlin likes to use. That will open up some options for .44 mag loadS with heavier bullets, maybe even sub-sonic loads! If they want to cast the frame and switch to a hammer-forged barrel, I’m fine with that as well.

- Bret

That would be neat. The problem with the 1894 is that rounds with an overall length much longer than that of a standard 240 gr load won't cycle well in the 1894. I've had some hang ups in mine using 300gr JSP loads, though it's still pretty accurate with those loads.

That's just a characteristic of the gun, not a Remington issue. I pretty much save anything with a 300 gr bullet or heavier for my Red and Super Blackhawks. I have some Buffalo Bore 350 grain hard cast loads that won't cycle in my 1894.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I think that this is super good news! I can't wait to see what Ruger does with them.

I'm with this guy. Looking forward to what Ruger does with this. Ruger makes GREAT firearms and it's going to be awesome to see a new Ruger "Marlin" lever line.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
An 1894 in .327 Fed Mag would be pretty sweet.

Yep! 16+" barrel.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I understand that Remington moved all the Marlin tooling and machinery, but basically kept making Marlin rifles in the same way as ever. I wonder if Ruger will go the same, or move to making Marlins with castings, etc?

You also have to wonder if Ruger will want the Marlin semi-autos competing with 10-22s? I would imagine they will look to see if Marlin semi-auto buyers are 10-22 buyers or whether there is market space for both types of .22s.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, but I'm thinking an 1894 in 10mm could be kind of cool. Also wondering what they might do with the 1895 line and some additional variations on the Guide Guns. Also thinking maybe the Smith & Wesson 460 and 500 Magnums could be kind of cool in a Guide Gun configuration.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
How about a stainless 1894 in .480 or .454 with a matching serial number Bisley and matching wood?

One thing is certain, Ruger is a well run company and healthy enough to do great things with Marlin.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sierra acquires Barnes under the bidding. Good move!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone surprised that the Marlin transaction was worth more than the Remington firearms transaction? $30 million v $13 million

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post