SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger wins bid for Marlin
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger wins bid for Marlin Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
While it’s not completely finished, it appears Ruger won the bidding for Marlin. I love my old 336 but am not a fan of the Remington Marlin guns. Ruger taking over might bring glory back to the Marlin name, and might even get us some cool new models.

TTAG link

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's hope Ruger can start another hay day for Marlin.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Good! I think that's a much more natural fit than Remington ever was. Hopefully they bring Marlin back to the quality level they used to be known for.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
That’s a logical fit.

Hadnt seen an update ... saw that the judge had pushed the date back a week as the union was concerned about losing jobs overseas (they must have had some ideas of the bidders ...e.g., Royal Defense of Thailand).

What about rifles and shoguns anyone see anything?

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Good! I think that's a much more natural fit than Remington ever was. Hopefully they bring Marlin back to the quality level they used to be known for.

Yes...as Ruger never had an actionable interest in developing their own line. I know because I asked their CEO that very question.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
So... from Remlin to Ruglin?

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I am a sucker for Marlin rifles...and my Ruger revolver addiction is almost as bad. The marriage of these two companies could be a really good thing for both, if they go about it right. I'm looking forward to what comes from this...it's gotta be better than watching them waste away as a Remington subsidiary.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope Ruger will get them in line and produce the Marlins we want. Ruger makes great guns so maybe that will transfer over.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anybody but Godawful Remington

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I am hoping that someone like Ruger will take on the train wreck that is Remington at present. Because they really are America's oldest gun maker and there have been generations of kids who's first firearm was a Remington. That is a legacy I just do not want to see go away.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a Marlin 39A, followed by a Remington 788. Both are still with me after more time than I like to think about has gone by. Both of them make me remember my father in the best light.

To say the Remlin debacle has been sad for me is an understatement.

Ruger taking over has just got to be good news.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Yes...as Ruger never had an actionable interest in developing their own line. I know because I asked their CEO that very question.

Line of what? Lever guns? If so, I had never really thought about it. Before the Remlin debacle, I can see, between Marlin and Uberti, why Ruger may not have had much interest in doing so. That market was fairly dominated by those two companies. Now they've basically bought their way into that market and acquired a company name with a storied history and a number of designs to work with. It may prove to have been the smart move all along. I don't know how tied into the SASS organization and community Ruger is, but I'm sure it accounts for a good chunk of sales.

It's kind of exciting, really. Lots of possibilities here.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its good news. And Ruger has produced a few lever guns in the past so they do have a history.
Hey, Ruger!
How about a trapper model with a 16 inch barrel and Outdoor Express Ghost Ring sights in... 10mm!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

What were they thinking? An AR-pistol format bolt action?

https://www.americanrifleman.o...-bolt-action-pistol/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a lever action .44 Mag rifle for a long time. I don't feel like paying the hefty price for a Henry, plus I prefer a side loader.

I've heard the Rem-Lin (Remington-Marlin) rifles have gone up in quality, as the JM rifles have been hard to find in my area.

So, I guess I'll wait and see what the Rug-Lin (?) line of lever action rifles have to offer.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping Ruger can bring some innovation to the Marlin line. I think there is a market for a quality lever gun in cartridges like 454 Casull and 480 Ruger. I've read that Marlin's 336 action can't handle the associated pressures. Maybe Ruger will invest the bucks to make an action that can. Such a rifle would really complement their line of single and double action hunting revolvers chambered for 454 and 480. Anyone up for an 18" lever in 480 paired with a 2.5" 480 Super Redhawk?

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I think its good news. And Ruger has produced a few lever guns in the past so they do have a history.
Hey, Ruger!
How about a trapper model with a 16 inch barrel and Outdoor Express Ghost Ring sights in... 10mm!

^^^^^^ Sign me up for that one ^^^^^^^

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ruger > Remington

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
What were they thinking? An AR-pistol format bolt action?

*shrug*

Remington quality aside... It won't be widely popular, but I'm sure there's some niche for stuff like that in handgun hunting circles.

Similar niche to the Thompson Center pistols, but with some extra stability and more than 1 shot available.

Or like the old Remington XP-100 and XP-100R bolt action pistols for handgun hunting:

It won't make them a billion dollars, but someone's obviously buying things like these.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I just hope Ruger finally, FINALLY, changes the damn twist rate on the .44 mag 1894’s. I believe all Rugers handguns are 1/20 Rather than the annoying 1/38 Marlin likes to use. That will open up some options for .44 mag loadS with heavier bullets, maybe even sub-sonic loads! If they want to cast the frame and switch to a hammer-forged barrel, I’m fine with that as well.

One of the big questions is probably which lines will they discontinue. I think the bolt actions are probably toast, but the .22s are a real question mark. Do they drop it and hope 10/22 sales replace them in the market, or do they keep both platforms alive? Also, did they acquire any manufacturing capacity, or does everything need to be moved to existing Ruger facilities?

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post