SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new, handy, big bore: Marlin 1894 repair update
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new, handy, big bore: Marlin 1894 repair update Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I'm a bit tired of the AR thing. So I picked up this rifle today. No rails, no pistol grips, no red-dots, no detachable magazine. Just some .44 Magnum goodness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sweet...

But you might reconsider the "no red dot" thing at some point down the line. A big bore lever rifle with a micro red dot makes for a dandy hog gun.

Posts: 32410 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
congrats. a good trigger is a plus. They are fun to shoot.

Rogue, how is yours set up. I had not thought of doing that to mine. But think that could be an awesome set up considering the range capabilities of the 44mag carbine. What is that red dot?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Marlin 1894 in .357 recently, and it’s really fun to shoot. Looks just like yours. The only thing I added was a leather wrap on the lever. Really saves the fingers. Smile

Enjoy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I really like my Marlin 45-70 lever gun with open sights. Damn thing is built like a tank too. Smile

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
I really like my Marlin 45-70 lever gun with open sights. Damn thing is built like a tank too. Smile

Me, too. I've owned two - one with micro-groove rifling, and the one I have now with deep cut rifling. My last one had a Lyman peep sight on it. My current one has just open sights.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Rogue, how is yours set up. I had not thought of doing that to mine. But think that could be an awesome set up considering the range capabilities of the 44mag carbine. What is that red dot?

It's not mine, but that's a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum, with an XS rail and peep sights, plus a Sig Romeo 5 red dot in a low mount.

Posts: 32410 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice Marlin! You're going to love that gun...and I agree, they're a nice break from ARs. I have an 1894 in .357, and it's my favorite rifle. I also have a 336 in .30-30, and an 1895 in .45-70...all straight stocked. I keep getting this urge to buy an 1894 in .45 Colt, but I keep telling myself I don't need it because there's nothing it can do that I can't do with my .45-70...except shoot .45 Colt.

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice, you’re gonna love it. They’re a giggle to shoot. I had one exactly like yours but without the cross bolt safety. I really want to replace it with a .357 some day.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i had one in 45-70. Hated it more than any rifle I have ever owned. And I am not recoil sensitive. I really like mine in 44 Rem mag. I had one in 45 Colt and is one of two firearms I regret letting go. It was nothing like the 45-70 to shoot. It was a joy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have an 1895 SBL in 45/70. Shot my first deer with it on Saturday. 300gr Win Super X JHP round. I have a Pachmayr 'Decelerator' butt pad on it.

The deer made it 25 feet. One shot, one kill.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I have an 1895 SBL in 45/70. Shot my first deer with it on Saturday. 300gr Win Super X JHP round. I have a Pachmayr 'Decelerator' butt pad on it.

Congratulations!

I really, really like the 45-70 cartridge.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2072 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
i had one in 45-70. Hated it more than any rifle I have ever owned.

Do you reload? If I didn't, I'd probably feel the same way about my 1895 (and probably would have gotten rid of it just like you did!). The first time out with it I had a box of 325 Gr Leverevolution I'd picked up at the gun store. Every shot was like being kicked in the shoulder by an angry mule. I made it through 12 rounds out of the 20.

Handloading, I use primarily 405Gr flat nose (there's a huge difference in POI between the different bullet weights, so I try to stick with one). I can download the 405s with Trailboss or Unique to get a light cowboy action type load similar to the .45LC, or load up some really stout shoulder-busters if I want. Not to mention, reloading gets me down to about $0.35/rd compared to > $1.00/rd commercial.

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Congratulations!

I really, really like the 45-70 cartridge.

Thanks, hoping to take it bear hunting next spring

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
You need a Ruger Super Blackhawk to go with it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Ha! Great minds think alike. I bought one of those, too. And a Redhawk. I was a little light in the .44 Magnum field. Both the Blackhawk and Redhawk are stainless, though. The revolvers should be in on next tuesday.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:

I love mine as well but opted to scope it because of my aging eyes.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Marlin .44 mag 1894, and 1895 .45-70 are a hoot to shoot!! About as much fun as you can have with a short-medium distance rifle.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'll give credit where credit is due. And Marlin/Remington gets some today.

I sent my 1894 back to Marlin/Remington 3 weeks ago for a broken front forend screw. And the screw on the other side looked a little wonky, too. 3 weeks later I have my rifle back.

So, Marlin/Remington replaced the forend cap, and the screws - as requested.

Not requested, however... The lever looked a little wonky TO THEM, as did the stock. They replaced the lever. They also replaced the butt stock with gorgeous pieces of walnut. I did notice the checkering on the old buttstock was a little darker than the checkering on the forend, but it wasn't an issue to me. Now, I have a stock that not only looks better, the fit is better than it was before. The grain is amazing on the new stock.

And for some reason, they replaced the barrel. I asked them to check the front sight. So they fitted an brand new barrel.

I opened the box and immediately said, "that's not the same rifle." It looks way nicer, now.

They function checked it, too. And they must have function checked the heck out of it. There are multiple brass marks on the loading gate indicating they didn't just put one round through it.